One opened, more to come!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:46 pm 

Morsicle,

An excellent point and well put! I hadn't considered the juxtaposition of 'celebrity' and 'scientology' in this way. You're right, it's quite radical and obviously a stark contrast to 'mainstream' religion.

Quote:
Their ways are so matter-of-fact to us now, we forget just how radical they are. Tailoring a religion specifically to appeal to the most narcissistic element of society, even building them a special Celebrity Center, providing them with self-centered existence where every need is catered to, is a radical exercise for a supposed religion.

Quote:
Even more radical yet, is sacrificing the career of the world’s biggest movie star on a Global War on Psychiatry, because a dead science fiction once said that psychiatrists are reincarnated goons of the evil intergalactic warlord Xenu.

It's a sick situation, but the way you describe it is funny as heck! :lol:

Quote:
There are barely any Scientologists at all. But it’s their willingness to engage in behaviors so radical, based on such horrifying and dangerous idiocy, that gives them a visibility far beyond their numbers.

Yes!

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to discover there are fewer than 10,000 active scientologists. But 10,000 or 50,000 that is, as you say, "barely any scientologists at all". And way out of proportion to the attention they receive.

fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:19 am 

Hartley, I do believe many inactive Scientologists still believe in OT abilities - specifically exteriorization and mind-reading. If so, they might think OT's could "hear" them saying "I have no religion" to the survey person. I have read of many members who feared that OT's could read their mind. Such people would stifle doubt; they attempt to self-censor even their thoughts, and definitely censor their spoken words.

The narcissistic, me-me-me aspect of Scientology also makes it hard for a self-absorbed person to quit. The auditor coaxes the member to "remember" dashing former lives in galaxies far away, and exciting encounters with Cleopatra. Realizing that this is all a cleverly packaged false-memory scam is hard on the ego. Even moderately self-centered people like my relative will find it hard to confess to their disconnected friends and family that they were hoodwinked. Saying "I have no religion" or "I celebrate Christmas so I'm sort of Protestant" even to a survey-taker on the phone might be too much bitter truth for my Scientologist relative.