Louis Theroux "My Scientology Movie"

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
I'mglib

Louis Theroux "My Scientology Movie"

Post by I'mglib » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:10 pm

SO excited to hear that a release date has been announced for Louis Theroux's Scientology movie--October 14 at the London Film Festival.

It's been fun imagining what this creative, funny, quirky guy will do with the topic. I have a feeling it's going to be very different from "Going Clear" which was a very careful, informative take.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/09/01/louis- ... -festival/

Description of the movie:
‘I find that the most shocking behaviour is motivated by very relatable human impulses,’ comments Louis Theroux as he heads to Los Angeles for his feature documentary in collaboration with director John Dower exploring the Church of Scientology. Following a long fascination with the religion and with much experience in dealing with eccentric, unpalatable and unexpected human behaviour, the beguilingly unassuming Theroux won’t take no for an answer when his request to enter the Church’s headquarters is turned down. Inspired by the Church’s use of filming techniques, and aided by ex-members of the organisation, Theroux uses actors to replay some incidents people experienced as members to better understand the way it operates. In a bizarre twist, it becomes clear that the Church is also making a film about Louis Theroux. Suffused with a good dose of humour and moments worthy of a Hollywood script, My Scientology Movie is stranger than fiction.
Snippet from Tony's report:
The BFI London Film Festival announced today that among the films it has selected for its 59th year will be My Scientology Movie, the highly anticipated BBC-backed Louis Theroux feature that will premiere on October 14.

Produced by Oscar-winner Simon Chinn and directed by John Dower, the film is presented by Theroux, who has made a career out of gently coaxing amazing interviews out of people in some of America’s strangest subcultures. And while he was filming this movie he became the target of Scientology’s camera-wielding crazies, as we reported last December.

In one incident, former Scientology executive Mark “Marty” Rathbun was filming scenes with Theroux at a Hollywood studio when, as they were exiting, they were ambushed by two older Scientologists carrying handheld cameras.

Judging by what the BBC put in a new brochure about the movie, Theroux is making good use of that and similar footage…
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

I'mglib

Re: Louis Theroux "My Sciientology Movie"

Post by I'mglib » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:20 pm

News and video about it at the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/tvshow ... ntary.html
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

I'mglib

Re: Louis Theroux "My Scientology Movie"

Post by I'mglib » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Also, news about the COUNTER DOCUMENTARIES that the church is making about Louis Theroux. Oh, Scientology.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/27/should ... ooks-like/

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... cientology
Recently Louis Theroux revealed that the Church of Scientology is looking to neutralise his forthcoming documentary about them by producing their very own film about him. In the US there’s a saying that “the best defence is a good offence” and L Ron Hubbard, the founder of the religion, was a believer: “Don’t ever defend, always attack,” he once instructed his followers.

It’s not surprising then, that such “counter-documentaries” are a staple of the Church. They’ve done one on John Sweeney, the Panorama presenter who memorably lost his cool while interviewing Scientology’s then chief spokesman; they’ve done one on CNN’s Anderson Cooper and they’re likely to do one on any public figure who comes even remotely close to criticising them in broad daylight.

One imagines that somewhere in the belly of the Church’s “spiritual headquarters” in Florida, a rapid-response unit of counter-documentarians waits, ready to defend its honour. At the moment, it’s being kept on its toes: HBO recently released a hatchet-job Scientology documentary, Going Clear, and now Theroux, backed up by the producers of Man on Wire and Searching for Sugar Man, is having a go at the subject as well.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/scient ... ry-5571277

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:03 am

It's a good idea to bait the Scis and then make hay when they go after you in a stupid way. It totally negates the effectiveness of "fair game."

DMVG8

Post by DMVG8 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Yo angry gay pope, when are you gonna print t shirts?

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:31 pm

Four more days till My Scientology Movie premieres at BFI!

http://www.screendaily.com/features/bfi ... 47.article
One of the hottest prospects of the Debate strand is John Dower’s My Scientology Movie, in which Louis Theroux travels to Los Angeles to explore the controversial religion;

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:36 pm

DMVG8 wrote:Yo angry gay pope, when are you gonna print t shirts?
Why that's a good idea. What should they say?

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:36 pm

I hear Karen De La Carriere has a role in the movie.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Cars posted on today's Bunker a review of My Scientology Movie:
‘I find that the most shocking behaviour is motivated by very relatable human impulses,’ comments Louis Theroux...Following a long fascination with the religion and with much experience in dealing with eccentric, unpalatable and unexpected human behaviour, the beguilingly unassuming Theroux won’t take no for an answer when his request to enter the Church’s headquarters is turned down... Theroux uses actors to replay some incidents people experienced as members to better understand the way it operates. In a bizarre twist, it becomes clear that the Church is also making a film about Louis Theroux. Suffused with a good dose of humour and moments worthy of a Hollywood script, My Scientology Movie is stranger than fiction.
Premiere is at 20:45 London time Wednesday, which is 15:45 New York time.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Q&A: Louis Theroux and Simon Chinn on My Scientology Movie, Oct. 12, 2015, posted by mrmonstagigz , http://monstagigz.com/2015/10/13/qa-lou ... /#more-371

Simon Chinn is the producer. They talked about overcoming CoS' refusal to let their members and staff talk to Theroux.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:00 pm

My Scientology Movie by Louis Theroux: 'I felt like I’d been blooded': After years of failing to get inside Scientology, Louis Theroux struck on a new approach: film ex-members’ stories on Hollywood soundstages – then wait for the church’s enforcers to come after him, http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/o ... en-blooded
In the end, we took our inspiration from the showbusiness trappings of Scientology itself, using actors and re-enactments to recreate alleged events and church practices on soundstages in Hollywood, guided by the recollections of ex-members, who helped to direct the scenes. In part, this was simply a visual way of bringing people’s memories to life. But it soon became clear that the re-enactments would also allow me to question and probe those former Scientologists’ versions of events

"Wider cinematic release soon." Yes!

Discussion of tonight's premiere at ‘MY SCIENTOLOGY MOVIE': Louis Theroux’s doc premieres tonight at the London Film Festival, by Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker, Oct. 14, 2015, http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/14/my-sci ... -festival/

Cars re-posted the review by Marc Headley, and I will also re-post it, so readers can easily find it:
It shows the comical absurdity that COS is by letting them do most of the damage themselves. It is not better or worse than Going Clear. It is a completely different way of exposes the criminality and abuse. I am not sure there will ever be one book or one film that makes every single person everywhere decide that Scientology should be outlawed everywhere. The more projects get done the more will be exposed and the repeated exposure on the abuse and the criminal activities of the leadership will sink into into the fabric of society.

I really enjoyed the film and think that it will get seen by a lot of folks that might not have seen GC. I think that there are a lot of the same faces and facts repressed here but in a different way.

Both of these films were being produced at the exact same time. GC had the benefit of a very well researched book that years were spent on. Louis had none of the benefit of that although Scientology would inject themselves into the film mid-way.

Louis did not spend 25 years in scientology and 15 years at the Int Base so his view is not the same as mine. He spoke with Ex-members and Scientology sent him a lot of Legal notices. There are libel laws and they are much more strict in the UK than here in the US. I am sure there are limits to what Louis can say and not have the film banned.

If you know scientology is horrible and are not impressed by this film, who cares? You already know they are horrible people that ruin people's lives daily.

I would say after seeing both films that they are both useful in their own right. I think Louis did a great job making a film and I seriously doubt that one single person that watches this film will ever do a single service in Scientology or read a Scientology book. To me, that is the true yardstick of an "accurate" film on Scientology. That it makes you laugh while you watch is not a bad thing. Some people assimilate info better when they are not having a "sick to their stomach" feeling.

Bottom line, if you know nothing about Scientology and see this film, you will stay away.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:30 am

I'm reading the reviews, because so far Tony Ortega hasn't filled us in about what he thought, and The Telegraph said it was GLORIOUSLY FUNNY!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/my-scie ... ie/review/
ouis Theroux versus the Church of Scientology. It’s a near-irresistible contest: the very face of deadpan scepticism, up against that many-headed hydra of indecipherable rage.

My Scientology Movie is the second documentary on the subject this year, following Alex Gibney’s more thorough and methodical Going Clear. Where Gibney circled the movement right from its beginnings, seeking to analyse its methods and impugn its motives, Theroux just gets right in there and jabs it in the ribs, that imperturbable mask of irony driving its partisans even more bananas than usual.

An unpunctuated “Don’t go there big man” is among the messages Theroux received from caution-advising Twitter followers, on announcing his intention to investigate Scientology for this BBC-financed doc. Another warns him that “the crazies” will soon be out in force against him, as indeed they are.

His efforts in Los Angeles to speak to their current membership meet with stony refusal, so only the apostates come forward: figures such as Marty Rathbun, former “Mister Fixit” of the organisation, and now Public Enemy No. 1, as far as the church and its much-feared leader, David Miscavige, are concerned.

The Theroux-Rathbun partnership, though it becomes interestingly fraught, draws all kinds of stalker-ish emissaries and cranks out of the woodwork, not one of them doing much to reassure us that Scientology is in fact cuddly, socially progressive or misunderstood.

Naturally lacking face-time with Miscavige or Tom Cruise – probably the world’s two most notorious Scientologists, with all due respect to Travolta – Theroux comes up with the neat gambit of auditioning various jobbing actors to play them both. Key public statements are read out, in what amount to screen-tests for a film Theroux and director John Dower don’t even end up making: the tests themselves do the job.

Rathbun, who claims to have witnessed the alleged violence and bullying behaviour of his former superior, but is also far from immune to accusations of his own complicity, puts these Miscavige-wannabes through their paces and rates their promixity to the real thing.
One especially triumphs: a guy called Andrew Perez captures the zealous set of Miscavige’s features uncannily, and imagines his leaps to fury with disconcerting plausibility. Perez admits anger comes to him quite easily, pushing pretend underlings up against the wall in curiously persistent reconstructions of how Miscavige is meant to have behaved behind closed doors.

Even Theroux, grabbed by the throat in a sudden outburst, is yanked completely out of his usual sly comfort zone, which gives such sequences a bit more of a meaningful thrust.

These allegations against Miscavige, which the church has always vociferously denied are true, go back years, and this isn’t the sort of doc which throws more wood on the fire. It’s more about the mindset revealed when Scientology reacts to scrutiny – namely Theroux’s pursuit in broad daylight by mysterious cars with tinted windows, and the strangers with HD cameras who camp out across the street from his shooting HQ.

These cronies claim to be making their own documentary, as a form of retaliation, which is such a delicious idea for Louis Theroux to play with: fully half the film consists of cameras pointing at other cameras, like an absurdist gunfight at dawn, with neither side willing to holster.

Twice Theroux loiters on the boundaries of Gold Base, the church’s compound in Southern California, and gets in contretemps with a human guard dog called Catherine Fraser, which reach Pythonesque heights of gleeful weirdness: he milks these showdowns for all they’re worth.

The one truly disingenuous note is Theroux pretending to harbour a “dream” at the start that he might have been the one person to discover Scientology’s “more positive side”. Yeah, right. It's all wickedly tendentious mischief, but when it's this gloriously funny, the points score themselves.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Louis Theroux’s ‘My Scientology Movie': A hilarious take on an unfunny bunch, Oct. 15, 2015, by Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/15/louis- ... nny-bunch/

Louis Theroux and Karen de la Carriere at the Oct 14 premiere: Looking good!

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:26 pm

I had a feeling this was going to happen.

I really love Luis Theroux, and binge-watched a bunch of his shows on Youtube several months ago.

One thing about his style, though, is that he tends to make the subjects, whom he befriends, look foolish or bad in some way. He does this a lot. He's very innocent and jovial, but somehow sets the subjects up to step into a web.

I was wondering if this was going to happen to Karen, who I though was going to be in the movie. Not sure if she ended up being in it though. But, it turned out is was probably Marty Rathbun who walked into the web.

I don't see any pictures of him at the showing. I wonder if Marty showed up.

Here is Tony Ortega on the portrayal of Marty:

http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/15/louis- ... more-26186
OK, now a couple of criticisms. If the movie’s strength is located in the way Theroux puts Marty Rathbun on the spot while, at the same time, Scientology itself keeps trying to barge in with its camera-wielding crazies, we found that this also limited the film’s impact. Boiling things down to whether Marty Rathbun is reliable or not made for some good drama, but it does a real disservice to the many people who share stories similar to Rathbun but who were not themselves enforcers or spies.

Where, for example, are the women? Theroux claims that only members of the Sea Org go through the worst that Scientology can dish out. But that’s just not true. Talk to Cindy Plahuta. Or Lori Hodgson. Or Sara Goldberg. Or Karen de la Carriere. None of them were in the Sea Org when their families were ripped apart because they fell afoul of David Miscavige.

Theroux amply proves that you can get Scientology to follow you if you start pointing cameras at its facilities. But repeatedly while watching the film we wanted to scream: Scientology’s worst abuses have nothing to do with tailing journalists!

Not once are Scientology’s most controversial practices even brought up: Disconnection, which destroys families. Forcing Sea Org women to have abortions from about 1982 to 2010. Pressuring members to bankrupt themselves in order to pay for elusive “super powers.” Using methods much worse than tailing people to “Fair Game” the church’s perceived enemies.

And let’s talk about Marty Rathbun’s credibility for a moment. We’ve certainly had similar incidents with him, when our questions about his past as an enforcer or our suggestions that he’s holding back information enraged him. But does that make anything he has revealed unreliable? Theroux brings up the reliability of Rathbun numerous times in his film, but we wanted to ask him, can you point to a single thing that Rathbun (or Mike Rinder, for that matter) has ever said about Scientology that turned out to be untrue?

We can’t, and we’re speaking as someone who has been frustrated that each of them hasn’t talked more about their days overseeing Scientology’s black ops. But even so, the stories told by Rathbun and Rinder are corroborated by many others, and by documents. We keep printing what they tell us because they have never told us anything that didn’t check out. Would we like to hear more about what they did to Mike Flynn or Gerry Armstrong or Dennis Erlich or any of the people who were Fair Gamed in the 1980s or 1990s? Of course we would. But that doesn’t make their testimony about the Hole, for example, any less compelling, not when it’s backed up by Jeff Hawkins and Tom DeVocht and Marc Headley and John Brousseau and Debbie Cook (who testified about conditions in the Hole while under oath in a court of law).

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:45 pm

J. Swift posted on Tony's blog that Karen loved the film:
I can hardly wait to see the film. I just talked to Karen in London and she had nothing but high praise for Louis Theroux's film.

What I have been saying for a long time is this: Scientology is surreal. Even when I deconstruct Scientology contracts they are surreal and serve to establish a legally defensible perimeter around the High Strangeness of Scientology.

In order to understand Scientology one has to accept Scientology's innate Surreality. It sounds like Louis Theroux expertly captured this element -- and it is no surprise given Theroux's excellent body of work. Louis Theroux has worked on some very intense projects with equally intense and often surreal subjects: Prisoners, drug dealers, murderers, the slums of Johannesburg, the West Bank with ultra Zionists, Westboro Baptist, the dangerous streets of Lagos, Nigeria, etc. Theroux is an outstanding documentarian and I am glad to see him address the topic of Scientology.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”