Louis Theroux "My Scientology Movie"

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Mustang

Re: Louis Theroux "My Scientology Movie"

Post by Mustang » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:56 am

http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/15/louis- ... more-26186
Tony Ortega wrote:he seems to have great respect for the likes of Headley, Mango, and Hawkins, even if he also wants us to see Rathbun as a deeply troubled character who is more complex than other press accounts have revealed
Hard to argue with that. Marty is certainly a fascinating person. Very capable, charming, scary, damaged. Amazing life story. His key "issue", I'd guess, is control -- which would make him pretty perfect as Theroux's companion/foil in exploring scientology.

Louis Theroux's docs are very complex and interesting. Not campaigning journalism -- too nuanced and human. And he picks his subjects well. They have included UK entertainment/media people Jimmy Savile and Max Clifford, both subsequently exposed as sexual criminals.

Very much looking forward to seeing this.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:12 am

Let me start by saying that I love Louis Theroux, and love his style and his past efforts.

However, I really take issue with painting someone in a bad light because they have complex, troubling issues. I think that out of 7 billion people on the planet, probably 5-6 billion have troubling issues. So, where do we start? Is Marty fair game because he has complex issues? in my opinion, no. I haven't seen the movie, and I am sure when I see it I will certainly enjoy it--but at the same time I feel really uncomfortable judging people who are flawed, but are trying to good. And sadly, they wouldn't be judged at all if they just disappeared, and didn't try to do any good. I wish that Louis Theroux didn't feel then need to find a bad guy on both sides in order to create conflict. Sometimes things aren't split up the middle where both sides are equally bad. Sometimes black is black.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:59 pm

I'mglib wrote:I wish that Louis Theroux didn't feel then need to find a bad guy on both sides in order to create conflict. Sometimes things aren't split up the middle where both sides are equally bad. Sometimes black is black.
I think this may be jumping the gun a bit. Nothing anyone's said so far (that I've seen) suggests he's tried to make Marty out to be a "bad guy".

LT tends to complexify rather than simplify, so that even the really morally "black" people come across as shades of grey.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Read Tony's review:

Apparently LT uses Marty as the conflict in the film. He infers that maybe Marty isn't telling the truth.

There's also this from Variety:
http://variety.com/2015/film/festivals/ ... 201616874/
... it’s another man who turns out to be its conflicted star: Mark “Marty” Rathbun, a former senior executive of the Church of Scientology who, after 27 years in the institution, acrimoniously departed in 2004. As one of the Church’s most outspoken opponents, Rathbun was also prominently featured in “Going Clear,” but Dower and Theroux use him here as far more than a talking head — inviting him to co-direct vividly imagined re-enactments of behind-the-wall activity, including the allegedly violent scare tactics of Church leader David Miscavige.

Yet collaboration comes with its own own thorny complications, as Theroux can’t resist pondering the ex-member’s degree of complicity in the “terroristic” activity he now condemns — notably the rumored abuse and incarceration of perceived dissidents in a confined area (known as “the hole”) of the Church’s high-security Gold Base estate in rural California. Rathbun bristles hotly at insinuations of his own involvement, but Theroux’s needling of his notional ally isn’t just cheeky journalistic provocation. Rather, his unwelcome questioning of Rathbun’s past serves to remind viewers that we may or may not be dealing with an unreliable narrator, one dismissed by the Church as “an embittered liar with (an) ax to grind.” The institution’s word, of course, is even less transparent than his; the pic’s question isn’t so much whom to believe as whom to let steer our imagination.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:03 pm

I'mglib wrote:Read Tony's review:

Apparently LT uses Marty as the conflict in the film. He infers that maybe Marty isn't telling the truth.
Personally I didn't see anything in Ortega's remarks that would suggest Marty is being constructed as a "bad guy" or "used as the conflict" etc. And I can't see Karen being so positive if the film was slanted in that direction.

I guess we'll see when we see.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:05 pm

This part of the Variety review that I posted makes me think he his portrayed in a negative light:
Yet collaboration comes with its own own thorny complications, as Theroux can’t resist pondering the ex-member’s degree of complicity in the “terroristic” activity he now condemns — notably the rumored abuse and incarceration of perceived dissidents in a confined area (known as “the hole”) of the Church’s high-security Gold Base estate in rural California. Rathbun bristles hotly at insinuations of his own involvement, but Theroux’s needling of his notional ally isn’t just cheeky journalistic provocation. Rather, his unwelcome questioning of Rathbun’s past serves to remind viewers that we may or may not be dealing with an unreliable narrator, one dismissed by the Church as “an embittered liar with (an) ax to grind.” The institution’s word, of course, is even less transparent than his; the pic’s question isn’t so much whom to believe as whom to let steer our imagination.

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:12 pm

I think we're just reading the same material rather differently. And maybe we'll see the film differently too. Fortunately we're not in a cult so we're free to look at things differently.

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Of course, having said that ^^^, the fact remains that I'm right & you're wrong. :D

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Haha, maybe so!

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:01 am

From Karen's thread, apparently Marty liked the movie, there you have it--bygones are bygones.
There was one upset between Marty and Louis Theroux but it was a minor clip and in Question and Answer time after the movie, Louis did state that Marty saw the final version and really liked it with full approval.

Louis also stated that Marty was still some sort of believer when the film started and by the end of the movie told Louis how he was Done with all of it.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:08 am

Really good interview with Louis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7WRI2qz2QQ

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:58 pm

How will we see this movie? Will it be distributed in theaters as those are one the wane (trust me I work in movies)? Will it be for rent someplace or shown on PBS? Now I know how the Canadians felt when "Going Clear" came out.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:28 am

I wonder if it will come to an American film festival and then perhaps a TV network or cable channel will pick it up. All reviewers said it was fun to watch. We need humor on the teevee.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:03 am

Louis Theroux tweeted:
People seem even more excited to see Scientology's doc about me than my doc about Scn. Maybe I should have just made a documentary about myself?

Karen#1

Post by Karen#1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:16 am

So I am returning at LAX and a young Immigration Officer who looks more like a preppy Ivy league graduate asks me what my trip was about as he looks at my passport

Oh, I just went to a movie Premiere in London I explained.

"What movie?" he pressed.

I covered my face as if in a cringe. "a Scientology movie by Louis Theroux...BBC production ~~ I was in the cult 35 years I added...But gone for 5 years now" "Absolute great movie" I added.

"I saw GOING CLEAR" said the Immigration Officer and I'll be sure to see this one" He added how much he loved Louis Theroux and we chatted on Louis Theroux style. Wow.

I warmed up to this guy. <<<<<<<<<<sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh>>>>>>>>>>>> You run into an Immigration Officer for a quick 3 minutes, and he tells you he has seen GOING CLEAR

I am going to take this as a Good Omen.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”