How I Studied So Many Scientology Policy Letters

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

How I Studied So Many Scientology Policy Letters

Post by Wieber » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:51 pm

From my responses and postings on this message board I may have given the impression that I am some kind of expert on Scientology policy.
This is not the case. I estimate that I have probably read about two or three percent of the policy letters that Scientgology issued.

Due to the way a person in Scientology must study what Hubbard has written those involved with it, self included, tend to get to know the
policies, bulletins and books in such a manner that they can just about recite everything they have read almost verbatim. Of course, when
someone like oh, say, David Miscavige comes along and changes a work here, a sentence there, and punctuation somewhere else that kind
of thing takes the recitation ability away from the followers. Ba-a-ah!

In my situation, I was posted, routed onto Scientology administrative courses and then kept out of the course room by the executive director
because production on post was more important. Because of a lack of confidence as to what to do and how to do it, in my spare time I read
anything and everything by Hubbard that I thought was remotely relevant to the job I had to do. Over six years doing that I probably read
five or six thousand policy letters and bulletins in addition to all of what is now called 'The Basics.' That's a lot but I am still no expert.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Re: How I Studied So Many Scientology Policy Letters

Post by I'mglib » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Wow, if you read only 2-3% of the policy letters which is about 5 or 6 thousand, that must mean there are a couple hundred thousand total? Or am a misreading?
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:09 am

No, you're not. Hubbard wrote a lot of them. When I was on staff new issues would be put in everyone's in-basket as they came out. In a
seven day period there might be four new bulletins and six to eight new policy letters. They were compiled into books. There is a book of policy
letters for each division, seven when I was on staff and nine now. There are another four or five in addition to that, maybe more now. When I
was on staff the books took up about thirty inches of shelf space. Now they probably take up more like 40 inches. There are at least as many
books with the bulletins. In addition to that there are policy letters that aren't in the books. At least that was the case when I was on staff
and Hubbard was still alive. Then there are flag orders. I've seen some of them but I have no idea how many of them there might be. I assume
that there are probably more flag orders than regular policy letters. I read the ones on the rehabilitation project force before I left staff. When
I read those I decided I didn't want to be in the sea org.

Hubbard had been issuing policy letters and bulletins almost as soon as he founded Scientology in 1954. He just kept issuing them. He wrote
instructions for everything, even banal things like taking a shower, cutting flowers and washing windows. I never read those but I was told
they exist.
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:42 pm

I just watched a Steve Hassan video--and I wonder if part of mind control is having thousands of rules--such as these policy letters. I would imagine that many are even conflicting. Which means whatever you are doing, there is a good chance you are breaking a rule--or possibly even following one rule but breaking another, which could cause a lot of mental distress.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:07 pm

I'mglib wrote:I just watched a Steve Hassan video--and I wonder if part of mind control is having thousands of rules--such as these policy letters. I would imagine that many are even conflicting. Which means whatever you are doing, there is a good chance you are breaking a rule--or possibly even following one rule but breaking another, which could cause a lot of mental distress.
I think that is certainly a cult attribute. The thing about the conflicting rules is that they are not black and white the way a cult member
gradually comes to think. It isn't like you get one policy that says to paint the door green and another one that says to paint the door red.

In Scientology there are two policy letters that, I think, are at the core of Scientology's operation. One is well known. It is in all the advanced
Scientology courses. Tom Cruise mentions it in his, now infamous video. That is Keeping Scientology Working. The other one is less well
known, almost but not quite, secret. That one is The Responsibility of Leaders.

They are not exactly at odds. One says to do exactly what is instructed in the bulletins and policies written by L. Ron Hubbard. The other
says to do whatever is necessary to protect the leader. That's not exactly contradictory but part of that is to ignore those instructions that
may be detrimental to the leader, which is implied more than stated in that policy letter.

(Oddly, part of the message in The Responsibility of Leaders, also known as 'The Bolivar Policy' and 'Pink Legs,' is that the followers of
a leader are to do whatever they can so that the leader is never seen as being responsible for anything bad or detrimental that the leader
may do.)

I was in a situation in Scientology where I followed policy to the letter and got in trouble for it because I violated The Responsibility of
Leaders
by following the instructions written by Hubbard in a policy letter, rather than doing what I was told.
Doris Lessing

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:29 am

Wieber wrote:Due to the way a person in Scientology must study what Hubbard has written those involved with it, self included, tend to get to know the
policies, bulletins and books in such a manner that they can just about recite everything they have read almost verbatim.
Firstly, how will current members learn this at Pac Base now that the Saint Hill Special Briefing Course is no longer being taught?

Secondly, how to you discuss/pronounce these Hubbard Policy Letters or HCOPLs (Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter). I call them H-copples - is that how they say it? I don't want to say the wrong thing to a sci I am enturbulating.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:03 am

HCOPL pronounced aitch-see-oh-pee-ell
HCOB - aitch-see-oh-bee
Flag Order = FO (ironic, no?) eff-oh
Executive Director = ED - ee-dee but L. Ron Hubbard pronounced it, in a lecture, ed as in Ed Sullivan. Despite that ee-dee prevails or it did.

Interesting pronunciation.
Hubbard pronounced Garcia as garsha. Miscavige also pronounced it that way.
Spanish speaking people whether Latin American or Castilian do not pronounce it that way.

If the Saint Hill Special Briefing Course is no longer being taught someone, I won't say who, is squirreling.

The people at Pac Base will still be studying L. Ron Hubbard's (most likely altered now) writings and lectures.
(Altered or not his writings and lectures are still ka ka de toro. (Thank you, Joan Rivers.))
Doris Lessing

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:53 pm

I studied only policy letters that relate to Dianetics when I was moving up the Bridge (I got to level 0)/ I also used my technique of fooling the E-meter to "study" the policy letters that had no relation to Dianetics because I had to complete the required material

In Sea Org I was studying the policy letters that comprise the management series. It was a useful study because soon I realized that LRH had no idea how to manage a company.

After I left Sea Org I stopped studying policy letters and begun studying Volumes I and II of Dianetics Series, which was quite interesting at that time.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Wieber wrote:I was in a situation in Scientology where I followed policy to the letter and got in trouble for it because I violated The Responsibility of Leaders by following the instructions written by Hubbard in a policy letter, rather than doing what I was told.
So is it part of the point of conflicting policy letters that it is always possible for a superior to find a policy violation?

[I've read that in Russia it is impossible (because of conflicting laws) to run a business which is fully compliant with the law. This means that there's always a point at which the business owner is vulnerable to pressure or extortion from the authorities.]

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Mustang wrote:
Wieber wrote:I was in a situation in Scientology where I followed policy to the letter and got in trouble for it because I violated The Responsibility of Leaders by following the instructions written by Hubbard in a policy letter, rather than doing what I was told.
So is it part of the point of conflicting policy letters that it is always possible for a superior to find a policy violation?

[I've read that in Russia it is impossible (because of conflicting laws) to run a business which is fully compliant with the law. This means that there's always a point at which the business owner is vulnerable to pressure or extortion from the authorities.]
This depends on a number of things. If the senior person is one or two ranks above and only has Staff Status One or Staff Stats Two it's
unlikely for them to find a policy violation in a conflict involving orders. If the senior is in the org from sea org doing a mission they can use
their sea org status. They go by flag orders that outrank Hubbard communications office policy letters. If the senior has the organization
executive course (OEC) they can use that. If the senior person has David Miscavige as their direct senior they can just ignore policy, as
David Miscavige likely does. In addition to that the senior person can always bluff about knowing policy the junior person doesn't know.
This does happen. "There are policies you haven't studied yet." Statements like that come up regularly.

There was a caste system within the Scientology organization when Hubbard was alive and it's probably still there. All sea org staff are
senior to all non sea org staff. Within the organization the chain of command is followed. David Miscavige is senior to everyone else. Then
it goes down from there according to the org board in the sea org. In lower orgs the top person is the LRH communicator. I don't know if that
post still exists. It may have been replaced with the DSA (director of special affairs). I wasn't involved with the Miscavige led organization
long enough to get its structure completely. The DSA seems to be autonomous from the executive director. As well the org I was involved
with was dinky. It fluctuated between eight to twelve staff. Staff members frequently left (blew) and the majority of public people were
adamant about not joining staff.

Then there's the need to "put a head on a pike." That's a whole other topic. Read Nancy Many's book, My Billion Year Contract. She
was sent to the rehabilitation project force, on Hubbard's orders, while her stats were up. She queried the order and he confirmed it.

Russia in its most totalitarian incarnation had nothing on Scientology.
Doris Lessing

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks for that Wieber.

Actually while I watch Russia now I see so many glimpses of scientology.

Russian online trolls certainly seem to have taken a leaf out of the scientology trolling policy letter.

(I don't actually mean there's some influence, or indeed that there are very illuminating parallels. Just that I personally keep seeing things that seem very familiar from looking at scientology.)

Return to “Opinions & Debate”