Scientology and Homophobia

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
jojo1984

Scientology and Homophobia

Post by jojo1984 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've been reading messages here for quite some time, but now I've finally created an account. After watching a video by Nora Crest, I wanted to share it with other people who might be interested in seeing it. If this video doesn't show people what Scientology is really like, I don't think anything will. It's about homophobia in the church of Scientology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_MEvWWljtQ

It's amazing (and not in a good way) how Scientology has two very different faces. On the one hand, they are treating church members as second class citizens - putting it mildly. On the other hand, they are claiming to be this tolerant religion to pull in more people.

I wonder how someone like Catherine Bell feels? Even though she hasn't really commented on it herself, it is not exactly a secret that she is gay and currently has a girlfriend. I'm pretty sure I even saw some images online. Does Scientology really have such a strong hold on her that she doesn't even know what is happening to "regular" church members who are gay? Do they have something on her that keeps her from speaking up or leaving the church? She doesn't strike me as a hypocrite, but never say never. I'd love to hear how you guys feel about this? She just doesn't strike me as a hypocrite, but never say never.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this video, because it really moved me. I think there can never be too many videos like this that show the world the truth.

Joanna

Don Carlo

Re: Scientology and Homophobia

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Welcome Joanna,
LRH was smart enough to overcome early prejudice and scoop up women and minorities as members and staff. This paid off as Scientology seemed "up-to-date" by having women and minority leaders. (Several critics have quipped that CoS is an equal-opportunity exploiter). However, LRH died before the major shift on acceptance of LGBT people, his writings can't be changed, and so his homophobia got "baked into" Scientology.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:46 am

Welcome to the board, Jojo!

Homophobia is something that I believe is alive and well in the church, yet is denied by celebrities. Laura Prepon claimed she never heard or read anything anti-gay in Scientology, which is ridiculous because in Dianetics homosexuals are designated as perverts and 1.1 on the tone scale (as low as you can go). I think that they either lie to themselves and others, or they are somehow totally shielded from this ugly part of the church. There is plenty of evidence that many people have been harassed and attacked for being gay.

Bottom line, trying to have an honest conversation about scientology with someone who is very in is almost impossible.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:29 am

Hi Jojo. Welcome to the Bake.

Hubbard's stand on those who are homosexual is plainly stated in Dianetics: Science of Survival, often referred to as 'Book Two.'

I will summarize but you can go and read it for yourself and draw your own conclusion.

The emotional tone of one-point-one (1.1) is called 'covert hostility' in Scientology. Hubbard writes that this is the emotional tone of the
pervert and the homosexual. He goes on to say that the solution for society in dealing with those who are below 2.0 on the tone scale is
either to raise them above 2.0 or to dispose of them quietly and without sorrow. The public relations stand Scientology takes is to play
this down. Nothing L. Ron Hubbard advocated is to be taken figuratively. This is spelled out very plainly in the policy titled, Keeping
Scientology Working
. What Hubbard is saying is that those people who are in the LGBTQIA community are to be cured of their being
in that community or be killed. Fortunately Scientology has no political power anywhere and it has a very tiny minority of the population
that is actively involved with it. There are people actively involved in Scientology who are gay. Why anyone who is gay would have
anything at all to do with supporting Scientology is frustratingly way beyond me.

As for the celebrities involved in Scientology they are treated very differently from the other Scientology public people and they are kept very
well isolated within the Celebrity Centers of the organization.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:36 pm

John Travolta is gay, and at the same time he had reached the highest level on the Scientology Bridge, which is OT 8. He knows damn well what Hubbard wrote about homosexuality, but he is not troubled by the Founder's assessment of this "sexual perversion". Apparently, all homosexual Scientologists suffer from some form of disconnect from reality.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Travolta may be trapped because his wife Kelly Preston fervently follows CoS, and Travolta fears losing his children in a custody battle. Also, he may fear some discrimination in Hollywood and the movie-going public, against gay people. Remember auditing scoops up embarrassing confessions that he may fear being leaked if he quits.

When his youngest reaches 18, and is past a custody fight, and Hollywood relaxes more about gay actors, maybe Travolta will leave CoS.

AngryGayPope

Homophobia example at Twin Peaks

Post by AngryGayPope » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Here a high ranking Sci Sarah Bellin gives a nice homophobia example at Twin Peaks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn1YG-gxSgs

jojo1984

Post by jojo1984 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Yup, it was pretty obvious how she felt. "That explains" (or something to that extent). Wow, there really must be a huge disconnect where celebrity Scientologists are concerned. I can't help feeling bad for them, somehow. They are trapped, and either they don't know it, or they feel that there is no way it. So sad.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people feel the need to control who other people may or may not love. Where do they think they get the right? I know it's not just Scientology, by the way, but the video I posted before just really got to me.

I hope celebrities like John Travolta, Catherine Bell, and who knows how many others will eventually see how their church is really treating gay people. If they ever do find out (assuming they don't know, or not the full extent now), it must be as if their whole world shatters.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Scientologists (and others with really strong beliefs) have a way of not seeing things. And it's not just the homophobia they're not seeing--how about the fact that their leader keeps people in prison-like conditions, physically and mentally abuses them, and his own wife has "disappeared." There's plenty of of heads being buried in the sand.

There's a whole routine used by most followers, which I discovered back when we protested a lot.

First, the scientologist will tell you it's not true, that the people telling these stories are criminals and liars.

Second, they will say that THEY never saw or experienced whatever horror, and therefore it didn't happen.

Third, they will say that if it did happen the way you say then the abused person deserved it for either allowing it to happen, or doing something to pull it in. So, David Miscavige beating someone up is the victim's fault because why would someone let themselves be punched. This is honestly what the Executive Director of the Org near me said (after first saying it was lies, and second that she never saw such things, but IF IT DID HAPPEN....)
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:38 pm

Don Carlo wrote:Travolta may be trapped because his wife Kelly Preston fervently follows CoS, and Travolta fears losing his children in a custody battle. Also, he may fear some discrimination in Hollywood and the movie-going public, against gay people. Remember auditing scoops up embarrassing confessions that he may fear being leaked if he quits.

When his youngest reaches 18, and is past a custody fight, and Hollywood relaxes more about gay actors, maybe Travolta will leave CoS.
Travolta may be trapped, but that doesn't justify his defense of Narconon, keeping his mouth shut would have been enough.

His gay confessions might be uncomfortable, but his recent alleged sexcapades are even more embarrassing.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:47 am

I think ALL CoS's celebrities, including Travolta, are pressured to attend CoS events, support front groups, make occasional speeches, keep their children loyal, and donate $$$.

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:01 am

This is the primary reason TMZ's Harvey Levin gets up my nose with how they report on scientology. TMZ seem to always go softly softly on reporting of $cientology. I was so pissed off the last time TMZ ostensibly avoided crucial reporting, I posted about how if scientology had it's way, Harvey would be done away with quietly and without sorrow- including hubbards spew from DMSMH.
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

Karen#1

Post by Karen#1 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 am

Scientology Inc trolling and advertizing on Gay dating Apps.

Scientology Inc has always welcome Gay $$$$$

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.p ... ost1068198

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:57 am

"It's off policy and out tech but, hey, it brought in a ton of money so it's a successful action."

Scientology can't hold it's location in space. Heh, heh.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Star Magazine has a silly cover story about a Travolta-Cruise gay relationship. I have followed Travolta and Cruise gossip for decades, and only occasionally see a staged photo like this: Image

Travolta and Cruise were also at the 2013 Super Power opening / IAS Gala Image

That's it for gossip. No poker games, no watching auto racing, no riding motorcycles together, no going to each others' movie premieres. This Star article is bogus.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”