Questions About Volunteer Minister Funding

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

Questions About Volunteer Minister Funding

Post by Wieber » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:13 pm

I have two questions about Volunteer Minister Funding.

1. Does the Scientology Organization fund the Volunteer Minister Program for its operation.

2. When people donate to the Volunteer Minister Program does the Scientology organization take a percentage of that donation?
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Re: Questions About Volunteer Minister Funding

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:37 am

Ha ha, no, Volunteer Ministers have to pay their own way to disaster zones. CoS loves to solict donations from which they appear to buy yellow T shirts, and possibly send supervising people. Generally, CoS never pays out of its own funds, and may well take IN a percentage of donations. The money is never accounted for, so nothing can be proven.

CoS solicits rich members with jets, especially celebrities, to fly volunteers - this also becomes a photo op .

The volunteers have boasted about their heroic deeds like barging into Red Cross or Mercy Corps food distribution and getting photographed handing out food. Often they get the photo right before they are shooed away by the Red Cross because they discourage seeking psychologists or psychiatrists. The Volunteer Ministers often help themselves to some of the food, water and tents, since in these disaster zones there's no easy way to buy food and shelter, and the Volunteer Ministers feel noble and therefore "entitled."

The photos end up in Scientology magazines and online promotions, to fool the followers into thinking CoS is "humanitarian."

My own relative, a public member, has proudly talked about Volunteer Minister missions. My role is dumb apparently accepting relative, so I don't criticize. My relative only sees the shiny goodness and not that the same dollars spent on travel expense would have been far better used donating to a good charity like Mercy Corps. Mercy Corp PAYS suddenly-impoverished survivors to distribute food, clear the roads, bury the dead, and other important deeds. This brings dignity, purpose and MONEY to these poor people. Doing touch assists and handing out Way to Happiness pamphlets is useless to people who need to rebuild their lives.

Wieber

Re: Questions About Volunteer Minister Funding

Post by Wieber » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:43 am

I read Hubbard's description of what the Volunteer Ministers were supposed to be about. I suspect his intent behind the volunteer ministers was to
give Scientology the appearance to doing charitable work for the community. But unless funding for the volunteer ministers' activity comes from the
Scientology organization, the activity of the volunteer ministers fails to be a charitable activity.

I once donated money to volunteer minister activity for a natural disaster. I was assured that all of it would go for the volunteer ministers but at the
time I didn't trust the organization not to take a cut. There may be a person here on the Bake who was involved more closely with this activity that
has more than a speculative answer to this.

There is a movement afoot in the world to reserve tax exemption specifically to organizations that do charitable work and to take that tax exemption
away from organizations that are religious but do not do anything of a charitable nature. We may not see that get wide spread implementation soon
but I think it is inevitable. I think Hubbard saw it coming and set up volunteer ministers for that reason. Of course, with him gone how they are now
running the volunteer ministers cannot evolve to deal with this should it happen.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”