Chris Shelton video. Are some Scientologists brainwashed?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
I'mglib

Chris Shelton video. Are some Scientologists brainwashed?

Post by I'mglib » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:09 pm

I know this is a controversial subject, but I just finished watching the latest Chris Shelton video about the Truth Rundown, which apparently is not performed very often on public Scientologists, but often on Sea Org members, and especially those on the RPF.

This video is a must watch.

At the end he says, If this isn't brainwashing I don't know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9fJkVJD0yQ
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Don Carlo

Re: Chris Shelton video. Are some Scientologists brainwashed

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:00 am

I wish my Scientology relative would watch this. Thirty years of loyally donating $$$ and (AFAIK) never criticizing CoS, earn CoS heavy fundraising mixed with butt-kissing. As long as the $$$ keeps flowing and the lips are shut, such members never see the brainwashing that Chris describes.

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:49 am

I'm so happy that Karen and Jswift and I first interviewed Chris and got him started making his own videos!

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:58 am

This has been on my mind for a while and I think this is a good place to try to write down my thoughts on it.

Scientology is a cult and I think this is a thing that is common to all cults. The first thing you need to understand is what the cult leader is about.
I refer you to chapter five of Captive Hearts Captive Minds by Madeleine Tobias and Janja Lalich. Read that because that explains
it fully and saves me from trying to do it here and doing it poorly. Essentially the purpose of every cult is to provide the cult leader with
personal wealth and personal comfort. All the promises of social betterment, saving souls, enhancing members lives, enriching people, and
on and on and on are lies. The people working for the cult believe they are doing the best they can for the world. They use techniques
provided to them by their cult leader to achieve that. They don't know that the techniques provided to them by the cult leader are actually
methods of deception and manipulation and the real results achieved by what they do are actually detrimental to the people to whom they
apply those techniques. Under the belief that they are doing good by using those techniques they continue to use them and pass them on
to others. This can go on for extended periods of time. It can even go on long after a cult leader is dead and the cult they led is long gone
and forgotten.

That's my take from the reading that I have done after leaving Scientology and working to deprogram myself. My observation in doing that is
that deprogramming is not selective.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:09 am

^^Good post.
That's my take from the reading that I have done after leaving Scientology and working to deprogram myself. My observation in doing that is that deprogramming is not selective.
Question: What do you mean by deprogramming is not selective?
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Deprogramming is an educational and introspective activity. It may also involve counseling but people trained to do that who know about cults are
few. Deprogramming reduces and removes the effects of undue influence. There may be sources of lesser or even unintentional undue influence that
have had an effect on a person. Deprogramming with respect to a cult's undue influence may bring up those instances that were not specifically related
to the cult. This is actually very likely to happen. When it does those instances of undue influence also tend to be dealt with. In other words
other sources of undue influence cannot be selected out and not affected by deprogramming. So deprogramming is not selective.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:21 pm

^^Ok, gotchya. That makes sense.

There are so many things that are cult like--even families--so I can see where a person being deprogrammed could look around and see other ways that they are controlled. Sometimes it's benign, I think, as there are always ways that people influence each other into thinking the same that aren't necessarily destructive, but of course there are ones that are destructive, like abusive relationships.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”