Laura Prepon - media thinks baffling statements

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
irbcsz4986

Laura Prepon - media thinks baffling statements

Post by irbcsz4986 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:59 am

The media can't decipher the sciento-speak that this actress puts out.
But will be familiar to many here. Very Funny thing is that regardless of which group one belongs to, the statements quoted come out as precisely the same: Useless BABBLE http://www.salon.com/2015/07/07/laura_p ... net_603419

she says:
“Honestly, I’ve become more me. The auditing has stripped away all of this charge, false ideas, decisions and mis-emotions that were affecting me. I recently had one of my biggest cognitions in a New Era Dianetics session. I spotted this decision I made a long time ago that was affecting me to this day. It was a huge realization. At the time of the incident, you make a postulate as a “pro-survival” decision, you know? Then to spot it years and years later, after peeling away these layers and then—boom, there it is—it’s mind blowing! To think of it just hiding there in my bank, affecting me.”

Wieber

Re: Laura Prepon - media thinks baffling statements

Post by Wieber » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:57 am

I quoted some stuff to a person who wasn't ever in Scientology. They looked at me blankly and said, "I know what all the words mean but I have no
clue about what you just said." Scientology speak is a separate language as different from English as Latvian is different from English.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:46 pm

Word salad is a "confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases," most often used to describe a symptom of a neurological or mental disorder. The words may or may not be grammatically correct, but are semantically confused to the point that the listener cannot extract any meaning from them. The term is often used in psychiatry as well as in theoretical linguistics to describe a type of grammatical acceptability judgment by native speakers, and in computer programming to describe textual randomization.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_salad

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:32 am

She's using typical Scientology words and phrases, and her CoS friends will understand her, but she sounds unhinged to most people. She needs a standard-English speaking translator.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:12 am

Scientology speak is not English. It is its own language. Linguists should study it as it and its development would give them a great deal of insight
into how language develops. I think Scientology speak has developed a grammar and a syntax that is different from English. Yes, it uses English
words, but many of the English words used have different definitions than you will find for them in an English dictionary. People completely immersed
in Scientology tend to speak almost exclusively in Scientology speak. When someone leaves Scientology it is extremely therapeutic, as well as
necessary to deconstruct the Scientology language from their mind set. From what I have read all cults have their own language. It achieves
what Steven Hassan calls 'thought stopping,' and it isolates the members from the society outside the cult. The longer and more immersed a
person is the greater the thought stopping effect and the greater the isolation.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:00 pm

At a recent funeral, an Assembly of God minister made the most garbled Jesus word salad I'd ever heard. I was surprised someone would be so jargon-ish at a mostly non-AoG audience. So, it's not just Scientology.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:13 pm

Indeed. I often stop by the Christian Scientist storefront and try to make sense of whatever quote they have displayed in the window, and it's impossible. I will spend a good 5 minutes reading each word--to no avail.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:04 am

Loaded language is a cult attribute.
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”