Chris Shelton wrote a book - A to Xenu

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
I'mglib

Chris Shelton wrote a book - A to Xenu

Post by I'mglib » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:43 pm

Chris Shelton, who has been doing a wonderful series of videos about Scientology, cults, mind control, logical thinking, etc, has written a book.

https://www.createspace.com/5927668
An Insider's Guide to What Scientology is All About
Authored by Chris Shelton
Edition: 1

What is Scientology really? Behind the glossy logos and sleek advertisements and South Park parodies, what do Scientologists really believe and practice? Is it really a religion? Who was L. Ron Hubbard and why did he start it in the first place? Is their "technology" for real or just so much New Age pseudoscience?

Former insider Chris Shelton grew up in Scientology and worked for it for 25 years. This critical analysis covers the key aspects of its beliefs, practices and structure from the bottom to the top, including not just the confidential Xenu story but details all of the upper level scriptures. Chris goes into detail about what goes on inside Scientology churches, why their members get involved in the first place and what it takes to get out should someone decide to leave.

An informative guide for anyone who has been involved with Scientology in the past as well as anyone who wants to understand what it's really all about.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

I'mglib

Re: Chris Shelton wrote a book - A to Xenu

Post by I'mglib » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Tony Ortega's thoughts on Chris Shelton's book:

http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/25/merry- ... -the-tree/
While David Miscavige excitedly runs to his Christmas tree this morning to find what gifts his Sea Org workers bought him by scraping together money from their 40-cents-an-hour pay (yes, they actually do that), we have our own Christmas miracle for our readers.

Frequent Underground Bunker correspondent Chris Shelton has published his first book, which just became available at Amazon — and it carries a clever title we wish we’d thought of, Scientology: A to Xenu.

Chris spent 27 years in Scientology, much of it as a Sea Org worker and expert in the arcane world of Hubbard “technology.” And he begins his book with a really interesting review of that history. He was brought up by parents who were Scientologists, but his own involvement didn’t begin until he was in high school. Chris skillfully recounts his journey into the church and then out again so many years later.

But he’s interested in more than telling you his experiences in the Sea Org or its prison detail, the Rehabilitation Project Force. What Chris really wants to do is provide a guide to the ideas and policies and history of Scientology that will be useful to the outsider.

You can see that his “Q&A” video series has really paid off. Chris knows what it is that people are most curious about and what confuses them about Scientology, and so he has learned how to address those questions in an effective way. We particularly enjoyed the chapter about KSW — Keeping Scientology Working — a key, overarching policy that Tom Cruise referred to in his infamous 2008 leaked video. Chris breaks down what Hubbard is doing in the KSW policy to show the layers of indoctrination and control.

Chris knows that his reader is probably someone with a basic notion of Scientology who wants to get to a deeper level of understanding. And along the way, he’s going to dispel some myths…

Yes, Hubbard did say there is a guy named Xenu and he did horrible things so many millions of years ago, and this involved volcanoes. What most people who are relating this story get wrong is the significance of the story in Scientology. The Xenu fable is but one small part of a much larger cosmology and belief system, and the specifics of the DC-8s and the volcanoes are not even the most important or significant part of it. This whole story is not even the strangest thing Hubbard ever said, so why it gets such traction is actually kind of odd to me when I look at the bigger picture of Scientology and all the completely bizarre things Hubbard claimed occurred to us in the past.

Chris is an explainer, and you can sense how much he enjoys making the complex, arcane, and contradictory L. Ron Hubbard understandable to his reader. His step by step explanation of the OT levels was the highlight of the book for us. What Chris has done, really, is produced a reference work, logically structured and labeled, that any journalist, for example, should study and cite in order to understand Scientology concepts.

Chris also takes on the tax exempt status that Scientology enjoys with a lengthy chapter that recounts the history of the organization’s battles with the IRS. And later in the book, he offers a guide for Scientologists themselves to help them on their own journeys out of the Hubbard mind maze.

We can’t help thinking this is going to be a very useful handbook for the many people who are finding their way back into the outside world, just as Chris Shelton did just a few years ago.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:55 pm

And Chris's comment on Tony's blog:
Chris Shelton (Galactic Patrol • 4 hours ago
Merry Christmas Bunkerites. I had a hard time sleeping last night in anticipation of this morning. I didn't know what Tony was going to say about my book (of course he liked it, LOL), plus the anticipation of just getting it released has been killing me. So I've had my own Christmas excitement today. Writing a book is way more work than I ever imagined it would be but it's a lot of fun at the same time, so it doesn't seem like work really. It's beefy and there is a lot in it, two year's worth of writing and a whole lot of new stuff no one has ever seen before. So I hope you all will check it out and like what you read. It was a total labor of love. Merry Christmas!

The book is available as a paperback or an ebook. You can get the Kindle version and paperback both on Amazon, but I found out that if you buy the paperback version on the CreateSpace eStore, I make more per copy, LOL, so here is the link: https://www.createspace.com/59...

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:26 pm

This is good. I will buy it. Meantime, Chris should get a copy (copies) into a library (some libraries) so that it will be listed on worldcat.org and I can
include it in my list of books on Scientology.
https://www.worldcat.org/profiles/Wieber/lists/1768991
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:46 am

I'm so proud to have been on the team that first interviewed Chris for Survivingscientology.com - now he's making his OWN videos and books! I'm sure it's very therapeutic for him, too.

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:05 am

I'm reading the preview on Kindle now. Although I've watched many of his YouTube videos, it's giving me more insight about his background and personality.

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Thank goodness for self published books. Protesters no longer have to be roadblocked by major publishers afraid of Sci for no reason. The book "Going Clear" was not allowed to be published in England. Disgusting kowtowing by fearful publishers. ANd the book and movie based on It went on to make lots of money.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:25 pm

I have ordered my copy of Chris Shelton's book.
I just searched it on worldcat.org and didn't find it listed. That means it isn't in any libraries.
I ask those of you who use libraries to go to the librarians and ask for Chris' book. This doesn't have to be an over the top campaign. Two or three people asking for the book should be enough to put it on a library's radar.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:04 am

I bought the paperback book and it's really interesting and well written. I plan to donate it to my local library.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:32 pm

Don Carlo wrote:I bought the paperback book and it's really interesting and well written. I plan to donate it to my local library.
Yay!
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:09 am

Chris' book is now listed on WorldCat.org. Whoever made that happen, thank you.

I have added it to my list of books on Scientology. Here's the link.
https://www.worldcat.org/profiles/Wieber/lists/1768991
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:05 am

He's a different writer than Tony Ortega, who is snarky / colorful / opinionated in nearly every sentence. Also, Tony is always trying to give his (experienced) Bunker readers something new, so he's more of a news anchor and interviewer than a scholar. Chris' book is more like a textbook - very factual and even in tone, and showing clear broad understanding and deep thought. It would be a very good book for the scholar or the person new to the topic.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”