Useful Ex Mormon terminology

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
I'mglib

Useful Ex Mormon terminology

Post by I'mglib » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:01 am

I saw a thread on reddit about ex-mormons and they used sooo many acronyms I had a hard time following some of it. But once I got it I could see where some could be used for Scientology.

For instance,

TSCC - the so called church

TBM - true believing mormon

RM - recovering mormon

The similarities to Scientology in some of the threads is really stunning. So much sadness when someone tries to leave TSCC (haha) and their family shuns them. It doesn't seem quite as harsh as disconnection, but still pretty bad.

There's this thread, titled, "I'm Mormon, I believe, and I don't want to debate. I'm not going to read any anti-Mormon links or articles. All I want is advice."

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... debate_im/

It was started by the sibling of a woman who lost faith in the church, and is being a lot of grief about it by her family. The poster insists he/she doesn't want to hear anything negative about Mormonism, but just wants to know what to do about his/her sister.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

spacecootie

Re: Useful Ex Mormon terminology

Post by spacecootie » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:07 am

If Joseph Smith had pulled the Book of Mormon out of thin air in the 20th century, LDS and Co$ would be in the same boat. Instead, because Joseph Smith published his book of BS a hundred years before Dianetics, LDS actually has the kind of membership and expansion numbers that the Scilons claim but can only dream about.

I've always thought of Joseph Smith as the LRH of the 19th century: background in occult/hypnotic practices (Smith was a water diviner), cosmic revelations from undisclosed sources (Smith's golden plates and LRH "research"), teachings that have been scientifically false (Smith's teachings about origins of Native Americans, LRH with Piltdown Man and geography of Xenu's volcanoes), and racism (Blacks not admitted to Mormon priesthood until 1975, Hubbard's numerous bigoted comments).

However, the Mormons were able to seize control of a desolate territory that became a state, giving them political power that vastly exceeded their numbers, which gave them social legitimacy.

Scientollywood is never going to be under Scilon majority control. I guess they might be able to start their own country on the deserted island Hubbard shelled during WWII.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:48 am

Just curious, does the Mormon organization do any charitable activities? Scientology fakes doing charitable activities but it doesn't spend any of its own money on anything of that nature. So, what I want to know is, does the Mormon organization spend any of its funds on charitable activities?
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:12 am

spacecootie wrote:If Joseph Smith had pulled the Book of Mormon out of thin air in the 20th century, LDS and Co$ would be in the same boat. Instead, because Joseph Smith published his book of BS a hundred years before Dianetics, LDS actually has the kind of membership and expansion numbers that the Scilons claim but can only dream about.

I've always thought of Joseph Smith as the LRH of the 19th century: background in occult/hypnotic practices (Smith was a water diviner), cosmic revelations from undisclosed sources (Smith's golden plates and LRH "research"), teachings that have been scientifically false (Smith's teachings about origins of Native Americans, LRH with Piltdown Man and geography of Xenu's volcanoes), and racism (Blacks not admitted to Mormon priesthood until 1975, Hubbard's numerous bigoted comments).

However, the Mormons were able to seize control of a desolate territory that became a state, giving them political power that vastly exceeded their numbers, which gave them social legitimacy.

Scientollywood is never going to be under Scilon majority control. I guess they might be able to start their own country on the deserted island Hubbard shelled during WWII.
True that the Mormon Church has an advantage over Scientology---but not by much. There are only 14 million Mormons in the world. True, that's a lot more followers than Scientology, but still, given there are 7 billion people on the planet it's a drop in the bucket.

Also, Mormonism has it's own set of problems--like the backlash from saying that children of gay couples can't be baptized until they're 18. This drove a lot of people out of the church.

I think, too, that Hubbard was clever in keeping the whole Xenu story secret. Joseph Smith's writings are out there for the world to see and examine, and tear apart. Apparently even using sources on the Mormon church's own website is possible to find problems. For instance, Joseph Smith used a hat and seeing rock to translate the texts--which in itself is pretty hokey--and the church doesn't deny it. I have done a little searching and have seen where people put the Book of Mormon side by side with other historical texts available at the time, and it looks like Joseph Smith lifted a lot of things. Also, it's very easy to show that Joseph Smith had underage wives, wives that were sisters, and even mother-daughter wives.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:22 am

Wieber wrote:Just curious, does the Mormon organization do any charitable activities? Scientology fakes doing charitable activities but it doesn't spend any of its own money on anything of that nature. So, what I want to know is, does the Mormon organization spend any of its funds on charitable activities?
Good question. I read that between 1985 and 2012 they donated 1.5 billion to charity--but make 7 billion A YEAR from tithes.

They send young people around the world (unpaid!) to get more members to tithe more money--not unlike Scientology Sea Org members who are basically sales people working for free.

I believe they also have an OSA-like group that gets dirt on members

There are definitely a lot of similarities. However, I have to say that Mormons seem happier to me than Scientologists. That could just be my perception though. There are definitely many many unhappy ex mormons who have been shunned by their families.

Here's more about it's lack of charity:
The Mormon church has no hospitals and only a handful of primary schools. Its university system is limited to widely respected Brigham Young, which has campuses in Utah, Idaho and Hawaii, and LDS Business College. Seminaries and institutes for high school students and single adults offer religious studies for hundreds of thousands.

It counts more than 55,000 in its missionary forces, primarily youths focused on converting new members but also seniors who volunteer for its nonprofits, such as the Polynesian Cultural Center, which bills itself as Hawaii's No. 1 tourist attraction, and for-profit businesses owned by the church.

The church has plowed resources into a multi-billion-dollar global network of for-profit enterprises: it is the largest rancher in the United States, a church official told Nebraska's Lincoln Journal Star in 2004, with other ranches and farms in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Australia and Great Britain, according to financial documents reviewed by Reuters.

Ranching and farm industry sources say they are well-run operations.

It also has a small media empire, an investment fund, and is developing a mall across from its Salt Lake City headquarters, which it calls an attempt to help revitalize the city rather than to make money. These enterprises are also part of a vast nest egg for tough times. The church expects wars and natural disasters before Christ returns to Earth in the Second Coming, and members are encouraged to prepare by laying in stores of food. Farms and ranches are part of the church's own preparation.

"The church teaches its members to live within their means and put a little money aside for life's unexpected events. As a church, we live by the same principle," Purdy said. The rainy-day fund and operating budget rarely mix, officials say.

Cost-cutting is a top priority, church documents show. It has even laid off janitors and called on members to clean temples and meeting houses, but the buildout of temples continues, including one under construction in Rome.

Those temples take a lot of money to operate, Purdy points out, and many of the grand church buildings are short on congregants, says David Stewart, a physician who leads the research group Cumorah.

"I have been to beautiful church buildings in Hungary and Ukraine, and Latvia and other places, and there are these huge buildings and 35 people there, and you say, how can this work financially? The math - it just doesn't work."
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news ... -indicates

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:48 am

the buildout of temples continues, including one under construction in Rome.

Those temples take a lot of money to operate, Purdy points out, and many of the grand church buildings are short on congregants, says David Stewart, a physician who leads the research group Cumorah.

"I have been to beautiful church buildings in Hungary and Ukraine, and Latvia and other places, and there are these huge buildings and 35 people there, and you say, how can this work financially? The math - it just doesn't work."
Although there has been argument against it I have identified large, impressive and mostly useless structures as a cult attribute.

Easter Island's moai, stone circles, pyramids (Egypt and Central America), Mussolini's building, ideal org buildings, Mormon temples, as far as I'm concerned are all indicative of a cult involved with their construction or purchase. "No, not my stone circles!" I'll wager there was at least one cult behind them. I'll risk offending people by including them.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 am

Wieber wrote:
the buildout of temples continues, including one under construction in Rome.

Although there has been argument against it I have identified large, impressive and mostly useless structures as a cult attribute.

Easter Island's moai, stone circles, pyramids (Egypt and Central America), Mussolini's building, ideal org buildings, Mormon temples, as far as I'm concerned are all indicative of a cult involved with their construction or purchase. "No, not my stone circles!" I'll wager there was at least one cult behind them. I'll risk offending people by including them.
It does seem like the Mormons spend a ton of dough on buildings. Of course so did the Christians and Catholics and as a result we have some really beautiful old churches, so there's that.

I have gotten more ensnared in the Mormon stuff, and it's pretty interesting seeing the similarities. One huge difference is it seems that Mormons go way out of their way to help people. My niece told me recently that two Mormon girls were walking by while she was moving, and they up and helped her for a couple hours.

The down side is the shunning. In fact, I got this video on my FB feed about a Mormon father who said in a Youtube video that if his kids messed up he wouldn't leave them any money--he'd leave it to the Mormon church. Not sure if that means simply becoming non-Mormon or what, but it sounded like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNRlg6O8ekU

The part about inheritance is at about 2 minutes and 10 minutes.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”