Parrot Therapy for Traumatized Ex-Sea Org workers?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

Parrot Therapy for Traumatized Ex-Sea Org workers?

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:58 pm

What Does a Parrot Know about PTSD? Asks the NY Times today.* Traumatized war vets were brought out of their shell and misery by volunteering to aid traumatized parrots at Serenity Park. The parrots were usually traumatized by ignorant owners who stuck them alone in a cage, when parrots need lots of time with their flock or humans. The article talks a lot about the intelligence, speaking talent, and intense need to CONNECT that parrots have, that stimulates and helps heal the vet. The parrot brings an intelligence that makes the vet THINK "what does the bird want from me?" while he or she builds the relationship. It made me think of the ex Sea Org workers who are burdened by memories of abuse, exploitation, shaming, and paltry family time. Couldn't some smart, needy parrots help them out? Serenity Park is on the grounds of the West Los Angeles Veterans Admin Medical Center, at 11301 Wilshire Blvd in Brentwood. Reading the article made me hope that other parrot sanctuaries open their doors as therapy centers for traumatized people.

*What Does a Parrot Know about PTSD? by Charles Siebert, Jan. 28, 2016, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/magaz ... .html?_r=0 . Also the cover story on today's paper NY Times Magazine, entitled Of a Feather. The Magazine cover has a cockatoo and headline: The Parrots of Serenity Park

AngryGayPope

Re: Parrot Therapy for Traumatized Ex-Sea Org workers?

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:32 am

Sounds like a job for Karen de la Carriere's African grey parrots.

Karen#1

Post by Karen#1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:38 am

My parrots were indeed therapy for me when I first left the Sea Org.
Birds in general helped me but in particular my parrots.

A Bird whisperer will know exactly what I mean.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Your parrots are lucky birds to have you, Karen. Parrots need devoted owners, who can interact or at least be near them hours a day.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 pm

Where's the 'Like' button?
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 am

Where's my parrot? I want to go to the zoo and talk to one, now, and stop mulling over all the stupid mistakes I have made, and jerks I had to work for.

Georgedype

View the latest post

Post by Georgedype » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:39 am

Hi some of my messages are stuck in the outbox and are not in the sent box. Is there a way to fix this on my end?

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:35 pm

I believe messages remain in the outbox until they are read. I have very old messages that are still in my outbox - presumably the person left the message board and never opened them. Wait and see.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Parrots might help a bit, I think, but they do not provide complete cure. A complete cure comes after one debunks all wrong ideas that he/she picked up in a cult.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”