Who's responsible for what David Miscavige has done?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
spacecootie

Re: Who's responsible for what David Miscavige has done?

Post by spacecootie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:27 pm

This entire thread is silly and reeks of trolling.

The OP called for an opinion about relative culpability, then changed the question and got all huffy and self-righteous about "deal[ing] in facts and truth rather than speculation."

FACTS:
1. Hubbard started a totally corrupt space alien cult.

2. Without that, there wouldn't have been anything for the asthmatic dwarf to take over.

3. To some extent, everyone who's ever participated in Co$ is responsible, to one degree or another. Most have seen through the scam and got out, others stayed around and fed the beast for years, and others are still in.

Is a person who left after taking a couple of courses less culpable than someone who was in for decades? Is a Sea Ogre who abuses RPF members more culpable than a whale like Bob Duggan who contributes tens of millions? Can people redeem themselves by leaving and speaking out after playing high level dirty tricks, like Mike Rinder and Marty Rathbun, or running successful ad campaigns, like Jeff Hawkins? Or are they still more responsible than the body router who's still bugging tourists on Hollywood Boulevard?

You can debate that forever, but there's not a single right answer.

Fortunately, I live in a world where people can disagree about things, not a totalitarian cult where "Source" or COB is the last word on everything.

Semioldguard

Post by Semioldguard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:57 pm

spacecootie wrote:The OP called for an opinion about relative culpability, then changed the question and got all huffy and self-righteous about "deal[ing] in facts and truth rather than speculation."
Nobody got "huffy".

Where do you see the word "opinion" in the OP?

I wasn't asking for "opinions" in this thread but unfortunately, around these parts, that's most likely what you're going to get, that and slander.

I can see why this message board is on life support.

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:14 am

spacecootie wrote:This entire thread is silly and reeks of trolling.
<edited for brevity>
Yeah, took me a bit, but I concur with what you say
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Semioldguard wrote:
spacecootie wrote:The OP called for an opinion about relative culpability, then changed the question and got all huffy and self-righteous about "deal[ing] in facts and truth rather than speculation."
Nobody got "huffy".
Yep, you did.
Where do you see the word "opinion" in the OP?

I wasn't asking for "opinions" in this thread but unfortunately, around these parts, that's most likely what you're going to get, that and slander.
Referring to your attitude as "huffy" was a fact-based comment, not slander. Describing your latest rant as an expression of "butthurt" is a factual observation, too.

Assignment of fault, by definition, calls for opinion. That's why we have a legal system to determine and apportion fault in civil cases. In other matters, including politics and business, there is always debate about fault, but nobody has the authority to make a final decision. Did President Obama cause the current financial crisis, or did he save the USA from disaster caused by his predecessor? There will never be a single opinion that is universally accepted as fact.

In the real world -- as opposed to the Scilon universe, where everything is assigned a random statistic based on the rants of a madman -- there is no way for anyone to give you a definitive answer.
I can see why this message board is on life support.
More butthurt. You don't get what you want, so you lob self-righteous insults.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”