Chasing Down Replicas - Ali's Smile

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

Chasing Down Replicas - Ali's Smile

Post by Wieber » Sat May 28, 2016 8:31 pm

In 1979 Gary Numan released an album called Replicas. Some of the songs on it referenced aspects of Scientology. At the same time in interviews Gary Numan did not have any attributes of a person who had any involvement with Scientology.

In 1999 Beggars Banquet reissued Replicas and included six more songs that the 1979 release did not have. Those songs contained more references to Scientology terminology.

Examples (Songs 1 to 10 are on the first release. Songs 11 to 16 appear on the reissue.)

1. Me! I Disconnect from You
There's the Scientology term right in the title. Numan repeats it three times in the song. Other than that the song doesn't reference Scientology.

4. Praying to the Aliens
There's nothing in this song that references Scientology. However, when the other references are seen, the title of this song tantalizes. Is it a reference to the whole track materials? I think it's just coincidence.

6. You Are in My Vision
The chorus of this brings to mind the TRs but again, this is probably coincidental.
You are in my vision
(I can't turn my face)
You are in my vision
(I can't move my eyes)
You are in my vision
(I can't move at all)
You are in my vision
13. Only a Downstat
"Downstat" is definitely a Scientology term. Nothing else in the song references Scientology.
Only a downstat
Personality problem
He would say things like 'I love you'
And cry real tears
14. We Have a Technical
This song contains two Scientology terms: Downstat and Time Track.
He sent a letter to a downstat
Saying sorry that I missed you
But I can't think of anything to do
He's addicted to the time track
The album contains Scientology references. At the same time Gary Numan has no attributes of anyone who has ever been involved in Scientology and as far as I know Scientology does not manifest any antagonistic behavior toward him. So what's going on? I read a book about Gary Numan titled, Tubeway Daze: The Untold Story of Tubeway Army. Tubeway army was Gary Numan's band until he decided to only go by Gary Numan.

In that book one of the people interviewed for it said that Gary Numan referenced a book by William S. Burroughs. Ah, I thought, that would be Ali's Smile: Naked Scientology. In that book, Burroughs discusses disconnection and mentions the terms, downstat and time track. Then he mentioned his book, The Job, and said there was more about his involvement with Scientology in it. I have another clue to chase down.

I will have more to say about Ali's Smile in another post. When I get to reading The Job I will probably have something to add about that.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”