Leah Remini new show about Scientology disconnection

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
I'mglib

Leah Remini new show about Scientology disconnection

Post by I'mglib » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:15 pm

Looks like Leah Remini has begun to collect footage for a new television series on the Church of Scientology.

According to the Underground Bunker, Remini has been shooting for the new show, which focuses on how Scientology tears families apart.

The former King of Queens actress left the Church of Scientology in 2013 and has since become a vocal critic of it. Last year, she published her memoir, Troublemaker, which detailed her family’s involvement in the church and her eventual disillusionment with Scientology as well as some odd moments with other celebrities.

Remini hasn’t publicly confirmed that a show is in the works, but the Underground Bunker has long been a reputable source on Scientology news. The journalist managing the site is Tony Ortega, a former editor of The Village Voice who also broke the story about Remini leaving the church.
http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/leah-re ... are-thecut
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Don Carlo

Re: Leah Remini new show about Scientology disconnection

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:18 am

Powerful first episode. Even for those who have read Amy Scobee's story, this brought to life the abuse and fear of disconnection. Amy and parents told their stories of loss, waste, and abuse, with Mike Rinder and Leah reacting. In between Mike and Leah Amy explained the big picture, and Mike several times mentioned his own disconnection tragedy with his children.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:47 am

Haven't watched it yet but saw the AMA (ask me anything) that Leah Remini did on Reddit, and it went to the front page--lots of participation.

Here's a summary from LAIST
http://laist.com/2016/11/29/leah_remini ... reddit.php
On whether or not the top brass at the church believe they’re running a scam:

The higher up is singular. And he definitely knows. however I believe most parishioners and Sea Org members (people who work for the "church") are int he dark and believe that they are doing amazing things for the world. And David Miscavige is directly responsible for that fraud.

On how the leadership prevents members from consuming anti-Scientology media:

…very early on in the brainwashing process, L. Ron Hubbard's "technology" teaches you that outside sources (i.e. The news, the Internet, books, magazines) are ALL LIES and hellbent on destroying something decent like Scientology. The AMA, and APA, and all "governments" do not give scientology its due because they have a vested interest in not healing people and not helping people. And Scientology is in the business of making people better. So Scientologists are taught that their safest bet is to get their info from the only true decent people...and those are Scientologists. And if they look on the internet, if they read time mag, they will be met with punishment at their expense. And, as a Scientologist...you have to confess that you've read outside materials, and that will be met with punishment at your expense.

On the media's coverage (or lack thereof) of Scientology:

…I would like to bring to light what I wish the press and authorities would. Instead of them always trying to be "fair" and "balanced" towards an organization that does not warrant protection, religious status, and free passes. I know you have pressures from your editors and producer to come up with something that's insatiable or has a little comment about Tom Cruise because it gets people to read your magazine or watch your show.
On why seemingly reasonable and intelligent people are still with Scientology:
Most Scientologists are 2nd or 3rd generation, they were born and raised into an ideology and have been surrounded and isolated. It is all they know. They are victims. Most of the original Scientologists are all out and have spoken out. Unfortunately, their children were indoctrinated by them.... are still loyal, faithful and have cut off communication due to the policy of disconnection.

On alleged sexual abuse within the organization:

I have read stories on the internet. I was told personally by a few people that I personally know that there was sexual abuse. When I was 16 and working for a "senior Scientologist" who was in his late 30's, he had sex with a 16 year old friend of ours. And the "Church" handled it internally. All abuses are dealt within the "Church" as it is an enemy act in the "Church" to prosecute another member.

On the organization's stance against psychiatry:

The "Church" doctrine thinks that fields of psychology and psychiatry are a sham. They deny mental illness and afflictions. They promote that you can heal your psycho-sematic issues with their "technology." They will get in the way of people taking medications. They will prevent people from getting the real medical help that they need. and in some cases have caused suicides because of it.

On the perception that a lot of people from the entertainment industry are aligned with Scientology:

If you really look at the numbers at the entertainment industry, in comparison to the small number of scientologists that are celebrities, the number wouldn't even register. I think Scientology has done an amazing job convincing people that there is a great number of celebrities in the "Church."

On how Scientology’s regards children:

As old spirits in little bodies who have returned to Scientology... children are treated as adults.

On whether or not she had confidants in the church that she could confide in:

I felt alone. If you ever confided in friends then you were (as policy dictates)... reported and turned in. Very 1984, very George Orwell.
Also, one Redditor said that his parents have been indoctrinated into Scientology. He asked what could be done to get them out.
If you want to get them out there is no way to do it nicely. There is no way to do it quietly. You have to challenge them by saying, "If you can think for yourself, if you have truly accomplished what scientology says you have accomplished, you should be able to speak freely on any subject. If you have completed the "PTS/SP Course". ["PTS/SP" stands for "Potential Trouble Source/Suppressive Person." The course, designed by L. Ron Hubbard, is purported to help practitioners think independently.] You should be able to confront and shatter suppression."
Here's coverage from the LA TImes "Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath' is a compelling, if unsophisticated, investigation of church" :

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... story.html

SFGate
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Leah ... fb-desktop
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Amy Scobee: ‘Even on her deathbed, my mom was fighting Scientology and disconnection,’ Nov. 30, 2016, http://tonyortega.org/2016/11/30/amy-sc ... onnection/

Tony offers more details on Leah Remini's disconnection series' first episode. Excited praise from readers.

AngryGayPope

Glad the used some of my work

Post by AngryGayPope » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:55 pm

Leah's show ended up using a photo and a video of mine in the first episode.

They used the ultrabarrier gold base photo and a video of cult guard Odo Huber trying to claw his way through a fence to get to me while wearing a stormtroopers helmet.

Very much enjoyed the show but I wish I could help them have more animation.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:34 am

When someone involved in Scientology gets away, gets out, and takes back their life, as far as I'm concerned that's a great thing and I do not expect any more from them than that. Outside of Scientology there is no contractual agreement for leaving Scientology.

I am continually gob smacked that there are people who go beyond that. I'm not going to name anyone beyond Leah Remini. You know who you are and you have my thanks.

Leah Remini has gone over, above and beyond with what she has done with this show. I cannot thank you enough for that, Leah Remini. Thank you.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

leereyno

Post by leereyno » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:08 am

I just watched the first couple of episodes tonight. I'm looking forward to future episodes. I'm hopeful that she'll interview Paulette Cooper at some point. The things that this show has revealed to the public are terrible, but none rise to the level of what the cult tried to do to Cooper. For those not familiar, the cult attempted to frame her as a terrorist by making it look like she was mailing bomb threats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout
Scientologists: Making homeless drug addicts look good since 1952!

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:06 am

I watched the third episode and WOW. This could be one of the best anti-Scientology shows ever. I love that there's not too much history and background. I have read way too much about Hubbard to care at all anymore. He's been dead for a long time. It's what the church of DM is doing today that makes a difference, and I am glad the show is just personal stories happening right now.

The part where everyone starts sobbing about disconnection in their families that really got me.

Karen#1

Post by Karen#1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:48 am

I want to draw attention to the fact that Mary Kahn was an "OT 8."
She had done the *bridge* 2x.
She had done OT 8 2x.
And what mental/spiritual condition was she in ?
She burst into tears on simply recalling her *TORTURE* on the Emeter on Freewinds.
This is an "OT 8" and I have met several in worse shape than this.
Examine how she was after her 40 year journey in the Cult.

Business Insider follows the cost $$$$
http://www.businessinsider.com/scientol ... ecessary-7

Painter of Lite

Post by Painter of Lite » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:34 pm

leereyno wrote:I just watched the first couple of episodes tonight. I'm looking forward to future episodes. I'm hopeful that she'll interview Paulette Cooper at some point. The things that this show has revealed to the public are terrible, but none rise to the level of what the cult tried to do to Cooper. For those not familiar, the cult attempted to frame her as a terrorist by making it look like she was mailing bomb threats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout
SPECIAL EPISODE ADDED: Leah Remini series adds Monday hour featuring Paulette Cooper

http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/16/specia ... te-cooper/

Karen#1

Post by Karen#1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:12 am

For those that missed the A and E special last night ~~here is the link. Paulette Cooper featured along with Jeffrey Augustine, Chris Shelton and myself.

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientol ... aftermath/

graffitiwomen

Post by graffitiwomen » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:14 am

This is such a great show! I started becoming concerned about Scientology and the human rights abuses in this origination about 5 months ago. This show, along with documentaries, has taught me a lot as well as some very brave people on social media! Leah Remini is doing a great job and as far as I'm concerned, the others in the show are totally making up for whatever bad things they did in Scientology by speaking the truth nowill! Thank you all!

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi, Graffitiwomen. Thanks for posting! Please post two more times, and then you are set to go, without having to be moderated.

I agree, Leah Remini is doing a great job, as is Mike Rinder, and all the guests. It's great to have another celebrity speak out, and this time she is really going for it. Several years ago there were no celebrities speaking out. Like most people who left, there was a lot to lose. Thanks to a lot of brave people who paved the way more and more are telling their stories.

Leah Remini's show is covering things that have not been emphasized on other TV reports and news reports. It also has a lot of emotional impact. i can't wait for the next episode.

Entheta You

Post by Entheta You » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:18 pm

regarding the predictable things the church said about Leah: did you ever wonder how one religion could spawn so many bitter disillusioned members? how one religion can have so many washed up celebrities leaving it? who gave them all the same illusion?

the things the church says about ex members could be scripted by a nasty mean 13 year old boy who doesn't know any girls.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:15 am

Just saw myself, Patricia, and Susan Talbot in the Leah Remini program about Scientology. Disconnection sucks.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”