The Ronitudes

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

The Ronitudes

Post by Wieber » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:54 pm

L. Ron Hubbard isn't the only one who can come up with new strange and, well, new words. I just did it here. See my feeble result. I combined 'Ron' and 'platitude' to make 'ronitude'. I have been thinking of posting something on this lately and then Jon Atack posted a piece on this in Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/07/09/atack- ... e-longest/

A platitude is "a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful." Oh, you people who are still in Scientology or who think L. Ron Hubbard is still the best thing since melted cheese are going to be angry over that definition.

So a ronitude is a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful written by L. Ron Hubbard, and recited mantra like by his followers who go by the label, Scientologists. Anyone who is or has been involved in Scientology for any length of time over, say three months, especially those who have been staff members knows exactly what I'm on about here.

Interestingly, despite Scientology's punitive ban on verbal data ("If it isn't in writing it isn't true." (there's one)) people involved in Scientology say ronitudes all the time without so much as a single reference to the source material ("Conditions, Existence, Source!") and no one ever says anything about not using verbal data, no one ever writes a knowledge report, and the Ethics Officer never appears.

Scientology does not have a monopoly on platitudes. (Despite what L. Ron Hubbard has said, Scientology doesn't have a monopoly on anything. I'm referring to one of his lectures. I cannot remember the title of it, though some of you may know it.) Here are some examples. "A stitch in time saves nine." "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." There are many others.

People seem to like to recite these sayings and find comfort in them. Here's the down side to them. Whether a platitude is true or not, reciting them bypasses a person's thinking. Continued reliance on these sayings leads to the atrophy of a person's ability to think. To reference another platitude, "If you don't use it you lose it."

In Scientology, the ability to think and the activity of thinking are called, 'thinkingness.' L. Ron Hubbard disdained thinking and did not want his followers doing it. He liked writing lists and calling them 'scales.' Probably the best known of these lists is Scientology's Tone Scale. Lesser known is the Know to Mystery Scale. On that scale Hubbard placed thinkingness halfway down the scale. He wrote most of his administrative writing, especially his policy, Keeping Scientology Working, with the intent of keeping his contracted followers from thinking.

One of the things thinking accomplishes is the examination of things in detail and to see whether or not they work as advertised, or if they are true or not. In his writings and lectures Hubbard seemed to encourage people to think. In Scientology, in practice thinking is discouraged and often punished.

One of the ways that thinking is diminished in Scientology is the use of ronitudes. Those pithy little sayings excerpted from L. Ron Hubbard's Guinness world record volume of written materials and lectures are used to quell argument, bring people into line producing for the benefit of their leader, and to keep people from examining L. Ron Hubbard's writings and lectures in a critical manner.

"The way out is the way through."
"The thetan knows."
"Production is the basis of morale."
"Outflow equals inflow."
"Outflow is better than inflow."
"Hammering out of existence incorrect technology."
"What would Ron do?"

There are so many others.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”