What if cannabis helps mult. schlerosis, Parkinsons & PTSD?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

What if cannabis helps mult. schlerosis, Parkinsons & PTSD?

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:55 pm

Endocannabinoids, closely linked to the cannabis in marijuana, are becoming important new medicines. But CoS despises marijuana. What if Kirstie Alley could cure her obesity? If Miscavige could stop smoking? What if important CoS execs need treatment for multiple schlerosis & Parkinsons?
The first treatment to emerge from understanding endocannabinoids is the drug rimonabant, recently approved in Europe to treat obesity and related metabolic conditions...
Research is underway to determine if rimonabant also will help smokers and heavy drinkers quit...
A drug already approved in Canada and parts of Europe, for example, reduces the pain, tremor, and muscle spasms associated with multiple sclerosis...
In the future, anxiety disorders, like phobias and post-traumatic stress
disorder, and depression also may benefit from drugs that target the endocannabinoid system.
from Beyond Marijuana: Endocannabinoids and Therapies, a Brain Briefing by the Study for Neuroscience, December 2007, at http://www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagename=b ... nnabinoids

My comment: It would be especially ironic if enocannainoids could treat PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Many people join Scientology to help with grief and unresolved traumatic stress. Wouldn't it be cheaper and simpler to take one of the future endocannabinoid pills? I know some are Puritanical about drugs - they think taking a pill is a sign of weakness. But isn't being ordered around and swindled by CoS a worse weakness?

I'm not advocating smoking weed for these disorders, especially obesity (until the "munchies" side-effect is fixed). I just think it's highly ironic that medical hope can come from weed, that CoS is so preachy about (despite letting their members smoke cigarettes and drink hard liquor).

Peter Schilte

Post by Peter Schilte » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:05 pm

Well, coffee, tea, cigarettes, alcohol and chocolate are also mind altering substances.
They all give one very relaxed and good feeling, when used, not abused.
So why does the CULT allow these drugs? Because they are legal?

Peter
"THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN CONTROL PEOPLE IS TO LIE TO THEM."
- L. Ron Hubbard

http://www.scamofscientology.nl

Judith Anderson

Post by Judith Anderson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 pm

No, because then they would allow legally prescribed psychotropic drugs like prozac and aricept. And Jeremy Perkins' mother might still be alive today.

Judith Anderson

Post by Judith Anderson » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Didn't mean to distract from your post, DC. I think there is a lot of irrationality about marijuana in this country which tends to hang onto its bugaboos like barnacles on a seawall.

Let's take a look at oxycontin which is now one of the most sought-after drugs on the street. I have a little second-hand experience with this drug. One of my co-workers was on it to combat unbearable pain from a fall. Nothing else eased the pain. Nothing. I watched her personality change over the months as a result. It affected her performance and she was dismissed.

Oxycontin has much, much more capacity for harm by misuse than marijuana ever did and yet it flourishes in both the free market and the street market simultaneously. That's one reason why I believe that marijuana should be more closely evaluated as a therapeutic resource to combat diseases, particularly those for which no viable cure has been found.

But even if that materializes, I don't think it will prompt the cult to get its head out of the sand where it is firmly planted. Not as long as its credo is based on RON SAID.

BenFranklinGirl

Post by BenFranklinGirl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:25 pm

I have found there is not a single argument for cannabis interdiction that can't be countered with a ridiculously obvious counter.

However, the reason cannabis and other drugs will always remain illegal is they provide a nifty little trump card for the government to jail your ass, any time, any place they want. Especially with cannabis, since it's so widely-used. It's a great way to have a "put citizens in jail free" card.
“In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people.” - James Madison

Don Carlo

Re: What if cannabis helps mult. schlerosis, Parkinsons & PT

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:14 am

A bump for those readers who have medical issues that marijuana may help, now that marijuana was legalized in Colorado and Washington state, and there are now 18 states that have medical marijuana. * Don't be a 1950's prude if marijuana might help your pain and suffering.

* http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view ... eID=000881

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Marijuana is a non-addictive drug, there is no harm in legalizing it. However, other than relieving pain, it has no medicinal effects. I do not think that it will be used to cure multiple sclerosis and other serious illnesses.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:06 pm

It's been long known that marijuana can soothe nausea. A synthetic version of the active ingredient in it, THC, is in the prescription drug, Marinol (dronabinol.)
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/features/co ... ing?page=3

pelagic

Post by pelagic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Demented LRH wrote:Marijuana is a non-addictive drug, there is no harm in legalizing it. However, other than relieving pain, it has no medicinal effects. I do not think that it will be used to cure multiple sclerosis and other serious illnesses.
Actually, it is addictive and I've seen people going through withdrawal from it, and there are people who have bad reactions to it. But really it does not need any more control/education in society that alcohol does. The medical benefits though are huge, and they do not rely on the psychotropic effects. There are many different cannanbinoids in the plant, not just THC. These other cananbinoids have many benefits, such as treating epilepsy, pain, nausea, MS, diabetes, glaucoma and fighting cancer. The legalization has been somewhat derailed by people who want to get high, which is no relation to the medial benefits. The getting high is not necessarily a bad thing, but more medical research is needed to unlock the true potential of the plant. Imagine a pain killer as effective as morphine, but you could still function normally when under its effects? A major problem is that drug companies don't want to research it because you cannot patent a plant. That is why some synthetic forms, such as marinol, have been developed.
Judith Anderson wrote:Well, coffee, tea, cigarettes, alcohol and chocolate are also mind altering substances.
They all give one very relaxed and good feeling, when used, not abused.
So why does the CULT allow these drugs? Because they are legal?
Scientology PR 101. If society is for it, the Scientology should be seen as for it, if society is against it, then Scientology should be seen as against it. Society was very much against it in the 50's, and Scientology cannot change. For example they are still not against cigarettes.

dirty hippie

Post by dirty hippie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:20 pm

LRon didn't want anything to jolt his followers or interfere with the trance, whether it be a drug or an emotion. He knew production would flag with lazy, introspective folks. People in love. People tripping, epiphanies, revelations. None of that is good for robots.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm just learning that some varieties of marijuana relax you, and some varieties stimulate you, so you choose what will help you.
According to anecdotal evidence, the Indica strains are a relaxant, effective for anxiety, pain, nausea, appetite stimulation, sleep, muscle spasms and tremors, among other symptoms. The Sativa strains are more of a stimulant, effective in appetite stimulation, relieving depression, migraines, pain and nausea.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu May 30, 2013 9:55 pm

extremely low doses of THC -- the psychoactive component of marijuana -- protects the brain from long-term cognitive damage in the wake of injury from hypoxia (lack of oxygen), seizures, or toxic drugs.
Low Doses of THC (Cannabis) Can Halt Brain Damage, Study Suggests, Science Daily, May 30, 2013,
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 132531.htm

So, if a CoS member's child has horrible seizures, and the doctor recommends tiny doses of cannabis to protect the brain, what will the parent do? What will CoS dogma demand?

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Tony Ortega's news magazine Raw Story has a reconsider-marijuana-story: Want to get stoned without losing your memory? Take ibuprofen, scientists say, by Travis Gettys, Nov. 22, 1013, http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/22/w ... tists-say/

So, there are unwelcome side effects to marijuana, but Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, or other ibuprofen-type drugs may reduce that, says the article.
My comment: This can help the US government view marijuana more favorably, and if Congress and Obama act to decriminalize federal drug laws, more and more states will have open, legal, TAXED, marijuana, greatly helping its medical users. CoS's reefer-madness obsession will look silly, old-fashioned, and hurtful to those medically benefitting from a little marijuana.

(I haven't smoked the stuff in probably 35 years, so I'm no pothead; I just want to help sick people.)

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:32 am

Not marijuana, but...Tony Ortega's Raw Story had this story (an excellent find as usual):
Scientist says psychedelic brew consumed by Amazonian shamans could fight cancer, http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/27/s ... ht-cancer/
A plant extract called DMT is banned in the US, but... we need help fighting cancer. Would Scientologists take a mind-altering drug in the future if it would stop their crippling spreading cancer and save their life?

SeeYaBye

Post by SeeYaBye » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:08 am

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been 20+ years since I was "in")... but if memory serves me correctly, LRH said that the problem with marijuana usage was that it "scrambled" a person's mental images, so instead of a nice orderly file cabinet of your whole track that could be dealt with in an auditing session in a nice orderly fashion, everything would end up in a rather mixed up shambles so far as a person's nicely time-ordered history of mental images, making it very difficult to audit an individual. That was his "technical" reason for forbidding ingestion of weed, which I thought was covered somewhere in one of his books or technical bulletins. I am not sure if all of the other forbidden drugs fall into this same supposed reasoning, such as the insidious low dose aspirin, if you are a devoted Scientologist. I know Jews who eat pork, Catholics who use birth control, etc, etc. But I believe that Scientologists who are actively pursuing Scientology do not violate the drug rules of the church. To do otherwise would be detected by an auditor, and result in sending the person to the church's Ethic Officer (or MAA in an upper level church) and you would be in big trouble. At least for the 12 years I was in, including on staff, I would never, never violate that rule.
"The truth is the kindest thing we can give folks in the end." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Return to “Opinions & Debate”