Travolta Confirms Jett's Autism in Court

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Simonymous

Travolta Confirms Jett's Autism in Court

Post by Simonymous » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:43 pm

It happened during the trial of the men who tried to blackmail him. I'll put more of the story, plus a link, but here's the important bit first:
Travolta also said -- apparently for the first time in public -- that 16-year-old Jett was autistic, confirming speculation that had swirled for years. The developmental disorder is frequently accompanied by seizures.

"He was autistic. He suffered from a seizure disorder," Travolta told the jury when asked about his son's condition.

The actor said Jett suffered seizures every five to 10 days. He said the seizures would last 45 seconds to a minute and Jett typically slept for 12 hours after each one.
Thank you so much, Travolta, for DOING THE RIGHT THING. It took a long time, took horrible circumstances, but you've done the right thing. Scientology can not fix seizures. Touch assists and vitamins do not cure autism.

The years of lying... I'm not sure if I can completely forgive the Travoltas for such a thing. (Not that they're lives hinge on my feelings, lol.) While I believe they did get Jett the best medical care for autism that they could, many people believed their lie. How many Scientologists believed it and denied their children care for their autism? How many children suffered as a result? If even one, that's one too many.

Please, if you're a Scientologist and your child has an ailment where they've told you "your kid pulled it in" -- NO. Your child is not responsible; neither is an SP. Get real medical help for your child. They don't deserve to suffer and die over your religious beliefs.

Rest of story:
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/travolta-reco ... rial/28343

NASSAU, Bahamas -- John Travolta said Wednesday he tried desperately to save the life of his seizure-prone son and made perhaps his first public description of the boy as autistic as he testified in the trial of two people accused of trying to blackmail him.

With his wife, Kelly Preston, looking on inside the Nassau courtroom, Travolta said that he performed CPR on his son after a nanny alerted him the teen had fallen ill at a family vacation home on Grand Bahama island. Jett Travolta later died from a seizure.

"I ran downstairs with my wife to help my son," Travolta said.

Travolta is the star witness at the trial of two people -- paramedic Tarino Lightbourne and former Bahamian Sen. Pleasant Bridgewater -- who are accused of trying to extort $25 million from the movie star. Both defendants pleaded innocent to extortion charges at the trial that began Monday in this island chain off the Florida coast.

Travolta testified that he and Preston were awakened by a nanny around 10:15 a.m. on Jan. 2, the day of Jett's death. Travolta said when he went downstairs, another caretaker was doing chest compressions and he began administering breathing help.

Travolta also said -- apparently for the first time in public -- that 16-year-old Jett was autistic, confirming speculation that had swirled for years. The developmental disorder is frequently accompanied by seizures.

"He was autistic. He suffered from a seizure disorder," Travolta told the jury when asked about his son's condition.

The actor said Jett suffered seizures every five to 10 days. He said the seizures would last 45 seconds to a minute and Jett typically slept for 12 hours after each one.

The judge dismissed Travolta on Wednesday afternoon but said he would be called back later for further testimony.

Travolta, 55, has kept a low profile since Jett's death. He skipped promotional events this summer for his latest film, "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3." He thanked his co-stars on his Web site for giving him time to grieve.

Travolta arrived at the Supreme Court building in an entourage of sport utility vehicles for his first appearance at the trial. Security was noticeably heavier than previous days, with Bahamian police officers surrounding the courthouse.

Police say the alleged scheme involved a document related to Jett's treatment. It would have released emergency responders from liability if the family refused an ambulance but police said the document did not come into play.

After waiting half an hour for the ambulance to arrive, Travolta testified, he signed the release because he initially wanted his son taken to the airport for a flight to Florida instead of a local hospital.

He did not address why Jett was ultimately taken to a hospital. But an employee of the resort community where the Travoltas have their Bahamas home, Nathan Moody, testified earlier that he looked into using two private planes to fly Jett out but neither was an option on such short notice.

A nine-person jury was expected to hear from a total of 14 witnesses.
“...the injuries that {Hubbard} handled by the use of Dianetics procedures were never handled, because they were injuries that never existed; therefore, Dianetics is based on a lie; therefore, Scientology is based on a lie.” --Tommy Davis

pharbizorg

Post by pharbizorg » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:38 pm

John, its good of you to admit that your son had Autism, and admitted the truth. Its been a long time but you have freed your mind of that chain.

What is going to happen next?

1. Since you are a scientologist by belief, you cannot possibly admit that there is an existance of mental illness. They (David Miscaviage et al.) will most likely label you a Supressive Person for speaking the truth and declare you (or if they don't - its extreme Hypocrisy on their part).

2. If they label you a Supressive Person and declare you, there will be friends and possibly most likely family that will disconnect from you as well. If they do not declare you, you will most likely stay in this Trueman Show, gradually building up questions, suspicions and doubt about this cult you call scientology. Sure one day you will leave after you see the "light" years later, but it will be too late. You will be an old man thinking, "Why didn't I leave years earlier?"

If you decide to leave the cult now:

1. There are people on the internet at whyweprotest.net, here, xenu.net and other critics around the world who will come in and support your leap into the real world once again - showing you that we are not the big bad SPs that David Miscaviage and LRH has made you believe in the past and for all these years.

2. You will get declared supressive. What does that mean? You can definitely become possibly one of the best critics like Jason Beghe became, speaking out against the cult.

Enough said on that - you know where I am going on this one.

So I quote a small line from the Matrix:
Morpheus: I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice. Tumbling down the rabbit hole?
Neo: You could say that.
Morpheus: I can see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he's expecting to wake up. Ironically, this is not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: 'Cause I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.
Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it. You felt it your entire life. That there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there. Like a splinter in your mind -- driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Neo: The Matrix?
Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?
(Neo nods his head.)
Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere, it is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, or when go to church or when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison for your mind. (long pause, sighs) Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.
(In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue pill.)
Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; Neo begins to reach for the red pill) Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.
(Neo takes the red pill and swallows it with a glass of water)
I love that scene from the matrix, and it strongly reflects the world of scientology.

So John, what will you do now? Take the red pill or the blue pill?

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

~Jack Layton, Canadian Politician (1950-2011)

RIPODB

Post by RIPODB » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:32 am

Megyn Kelly brought this point up on O'Reilly's show tonight and said that people were wondering if JT would admit that Jett had autism since JT is a Scientologist, but you could hardly hear her comment because O'Reilly immediately started to talk over her. It seemed like he did it on purpose so that viewers wouldn't be able to hear Megyn's Scientology related comment. Why does O'Reilly defend the cult and suppress info about it? What does the cult have on him?
"People with too many arguments should always be approached with suspicion. Dialectic and endless reasoning are usually used as resistance against disagreeable truths" A. M. Meerloo, M.D. "Delusion and Mass-Delusion" (c) 1949

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:25 am

Also on WikiNews :

Actor John Travolta testified in an extortion case in The Bahamas on Tuesday, and admitted in court that his late son was autistic. Travolta belongs to the controversial Church of Scientology, an organization which opposes psychiatry and does not recognize autism as an affliction. Prior to the testimony, Travolta had only publicly acknowledged that his son suffered from Kawasaki syndrome.

Travolta's son Jett died in January 2009 at the age of 16 after experiencing a seizure. The ongoing extortion trial focuses on charges that attorney and Bahamian senator Pleasant Bridgewater and her client paramedic Tarrino Lightbourne requested US$25 million from Travolta in exchange for not revealing a document which stated Travolta did not wish for his son to be taken to a hospital. Travolta's son was transported to Rand Memorial hospital.

The rest can be read here : http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Testimony_b ... _questions

particlewave

Post by particlewave » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 am

i feel very sorry for john travolta and his wife and family. i dont judge the man, becaue he did what he did in the past because he thought it was right and he seemed convinced. to put it bluntly, he was decieved and that is not his fault.

sure looking back if he had done things differently perhaps this would have never happened. second guessing is very easy after the fact. its important now for john to realize the dangers of such and to slowly heal himself and start thinking independent of scientology and start reading as much as he can and finding the inner strengh that resides in him to challenge the church.

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:14 am

Do we rule out the possibility the Travolta's may have privately tried to circumvent "the church" and seek help for their son?

viewtopic.php?p=250350&highlight=utah#250350

It's easy to speculate either direction. Bottom line, we don't know.
The more who speak out, the more who get out.

RealityWillTell

Post by RealityWillTell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:33 am

Benny's Friend wrote:Do we rule out the possibility the Travolta's may have privately tried to circumvent "the church" and seek help for their son?

viewtopic.php?p=250350&highlight=utah#250350

It's easy to speculate either direction. Bottom line, we don't know.
BF, I could certainly believe that of John but not necessarily of Kelly! Kelly being not only a second generation scilon but also frequently does PR for CCHR I tend to doubt her. I think she's hard core scieno.

I figure she's the one keeping their little family firmly in the scientology world!

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:51 am

RWT, I encountered Kelly Preston once.......

.....and while that impression, instantly made, wasn't terribly favorable, I'm a mom. And as a mom I want to believe all mothers love their babies and would walk through fire for them if need be. The thing about Scientology that bugs me most is where it desensitizes parents to children and vice versa. It's not right. I want to believe John and Kelly fought for their son and did everything in their power to help him. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here.

For some, people are guilty until proven innocent.

For me...you catch my drift.

(p.s. RWT your graphic renderings of late have been spectacular. You have such talent!)
The more who speak out, the more who get out.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:34 am

I'm waiting for the day that Kelly apologizes to the public on her out and out lying about her son, Jett having Kawasaki syndrome. But, she will probably get a pass on that. I watched her on Montel, promoting the Purif because her son had been helped by it or so Kelly says. How many people watching were duped by her scilon bs? How many people who's children really did have Kawasaki syndrome were given hope by her fanciful OT bs. Just another OT trying to be homo novis. And John allowed it to happen.

Simonymous

Post by Simonymous » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:41 am

Benny's Friend wrote:Do we rule out the possibility the Travolta's may have privately tried to circumvent "the church" and seek help for their son?
I believe this is what happened. To the world, they say "autism is a lie* and our son doesn't have it"... while knowing their son has autism and privately getting him treatment.

My problem is... how many people hear this, believe the Travoltas may be onto something, and deny their own children care, believing "autism is a lie"? Maybe lower-ranking Scientologists, maybe fans of Montel Williams, etc.

Not to mention what's said above, how thanks to Kelly Preston, you've got all these Kawasaki Syndrome support groups and professionals bogged down with trying to explain how a 16-year-old boy could have symptoms that are so widely different to what everyone else has ever seen. That time could be better spent helping people who REALLY have Kawasaki syndrome, as well as autism.

All her challenging the medical field -- "my boy does have it, let's study why nobody ever has had it the way he does" nonsense. All done to save face of a litigious, science-rejecting, abuse-filled, space opera cult.

* I've never heard the Travoltas directly say "autism is a lie." I mean it more like they infer it rather than say it outright. Although they may have, it seems within character as their church says autism doesn't exist.
“...the injuries that {Hubbard} handled by the use of Dianetics procedures were never handled, because they were injuries that never existed; therefore, Dianetics is based on a lie; therefore, Scientology is based on a lie.” --Tommy Davis

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:41 pm

She probably believed it was Kawasaki, when she went on the Montel Show. Sure, she could have done more research, but she stuck with the CoS line. There is one doctor who said this year seizures could occur with Kawasaki,* so it could be they were focussed on the seizures and found one opinion years ago that it could be Kawasaki.

*http://blog.deepdyve.com/tag/kawasaki-syndrome/

waznso

Post by waznso » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:12 pm

Don Carlo wrote:She probably believed it was Kawasaki, when she went on the Montel Show. Sure, she could have done more research, but she stuck with the CoS line. There is one doctor who said this year seizures could occur with Kawasaki,* so it could be they were focussed on the seizures and found one opinion years ago that it could be Kawasaki.

*http://blog.deepdyve.com/tag/kawasaki-syndrome/
Good grief - such reasonableness! :roll: Kelly was also being paid for advertising carpets...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/295 ... 92.jpg?v=0

Don Carlo

Re: Travolta Confirms Jett's Autism in Court

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:40 pm

NY Times article on "SUDEP,"Sudden Unexpected Death from EPilepsy. If Jett had epilepsy along with autism, taking away his seizure medication made him much more vulnerable to SUDEP.

A Risk for Sudden Death in Epilepsy That Often Goes Unmentioned,
By Gina Kolataaug, Aug. 22, 2016, NY Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/healt ... .html?_r=0

LindsiCop

Travolta Confirms Jetts Autism in Court

Post by LindsiCop » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:39 pm

I was curious about recent articles Ive read that attribute the great increase in autism to the preservatives in childhood innoculations. Any info?

Wieber

Re: Travolta Confirms Jett's Autism in Court

Post by Wieber » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:02 pm

The cause of autism appears to be an absence of what neuroscientists call synapse pruning. It happens around the time of birth. When it doesn't happen the individual is autistic. Search 'synapse pruning' on Google and read about it.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”