My review of My Scientology Movie

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
I'mglib

My review of My Scientology Movie

Post by I'mglib » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 am

So, i finally got to see Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie, because someone on reddit posted a link to it. Not sure how long that will last.

Anyway, I really really liked it. It's interesting how it's more than just another critical movie, in my opinion. It also really shows the complicated thinking of Marty Rathbun, who is a major character. He says a few things that really got me thinking about what it must be like to have been in his position. At one point he gets vary angry at Louis, after Louis asks him a barbed question about his past. And I could kind of see Marty's side. It's not just shooting zingers at Scientology for Marty. He was immersed for years and years and still is to some extent. To treat the whole thing so lightly really pissed Marty off.

I just read a book by Ayaan Hirsi Ali called Infidel about her journey from being born in Somalia, being a refuge in Kenya, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, and Holland, and at the end of it she becomes a very outspoken critic of Islam. Having read her book, I can really see where she's coming from. But I can also see where others who don't know her story, see her as just a polemic, spewing angry rhetoric. But when you know all that she went through you can see why she is so critical of things that others might side step.

Likewise I think Marty's 30 years (or however long it was) in Scientology at the level of Inspector General--and whatever that means--had to have shaped his ideas in ways that maybe no one else can understand.

That's my thinking anyway.

I also loved the way Louis just dove into the topic, instead of yet another boring "history of Scientology". I also though the actors and reenactments were really good, because it made you actually try to empathize with the people inside.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Re: My review of My Scientology Movie

Post by Wieber » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:02 am

I haven't seen the movie yet. I will watch it at some point.

I think the society within Scientology has a level of complexity that those who have not been in don't see.

At the same time the people within are isolated from each other and I think that was intentional. It's like they're in eggs inside a carton. They are close to each other but the carton walls and the shell they occupy keep them from really seeing or understanding each other.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

secularpatriot

Re: My review of My Scientology Movie

Post by secularpatriot » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:51 am

"They are close to each other but the carton walls and the shell they occupy keep them from really seeing or understanding each other." This was my experience in est and its reincarnation, The Forum (which, it could be argued, is/was a slightly less virulent form of the Scientology disease). My manager had been an est trainer and she was very insistent that her clients not "gossip" with each other about our experiences with her. At some point, I realized she didn't want us comparing notes and discovering that she was a liar and a business cheat. Apparently, this is textbook cult behavior.

I found the movie to be engaging and certainly worth seeing, though I agree that the movie did treat its subject with a certain amount of eye-rolling, "what's-WRONG-with-these-fools?" distance. I have actually found the first-person accounts on this board to be much more compelling and convincing as far as the human damage that results from membership in this cult.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”