400 to 1

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

400 to 1

Post by Wieber » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:07 pm

That's my estimated ratio of the number of ex Scientologists to the number of currently active Scientologists.

The current estimate of the number of active IAS (International Association of Scientologists) members is about 25,000 world wide.

Scientology has boasted it had ten million or more members. Apparently this is because the organization counts everyone who has ever bought anything from Scientology as a member.

I'm willing to be corrected on the above information as the numbers are based on speculation, as is the following.

I was explaining to a friend who has never been involved with the organization how a celebrity in Scientology can have a hard time with their career due to being boycotted by former Scientologists. I explained that the ten-million members Scientology boasts about are actually ex members who are to varying degrees antagonistic towards Scientology. Each of those people is likely closely connected to five others to whom they confide and who are also antagonistic to varying degrees.

So when the exes decide to boycott an actor, a singer, a writer, etc., that means there are approximately sixty-million people voting with their dollars against that celebrity's Scientology involvement.

As an example of the order of magnitude (a term David Miscavige seems to like using) resulting from that, let's say a movie ticket costs $10. Sixty million people not buying tickets is a potential shortfall of six-hundred-million dollars.

That's all simplistic. I'm sure the situation is much more complex than that but it does give a ballpark estimate. And what does Scientology do to adapt to this situation the organization has created for itself? Oh, yes, that's right. Scientology cannot adapt. Hubbard forbade anyone else in the organization from making the kinds of decisions that would allow for adaptation and Hubbard is no longer involved to do it for the organization.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Entheta You

Re: 400 to 1

Post by Entheta You » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:12 am

the ratio I wonder about:

Scientology has existed since 1962. that's almost 55 years

they have produced about 55,000 clears in those 55 years.

at the rate of 1,000 clears a year, how many years will it take the fastest growing religion in the world ( and aren't they all ) to clear the 7 billion people on planet earth - oh, wait, excuse me, Teegeeack?

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:00 am

I bitched about that when I was in.

There is a Scientology publication called The Auditor, from St. Hill in the UK and ASHO (Advanced Saint Hill Org) in Los Angeles. For a long time it used to publish the number of clears in every issue. "There are now 47,000 clears." Every month it would be more. Sometime in the early 2000s it said, "There are now 50,000 clears."

I was a somewhat feisty public person around that time and I vented about that to the org's executive director (ED). I showed them the statement and said something like, "I have mixed feelings about that number. It's great that there are that many clears but a thousand a year is a really lousy statistic." Within a month or two The Auditor stopped publishing the number of clears. I don't know whether or not my complaint had anything to do with it or whether the timing was coincidental.

The actual production of clears may have been much greater than that but the campaign to make people do the bridge over again and certificate cancellations due to suppressive person declares may have resulted in less than 50,000 clears and the editors of The Auditor were told not to publish the down statistic.

I can only speculate.
Doris Lessing

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:17 pm

The estimated number of active CoS members varies from 25,000 to 50,000. Long time ago I had my own estimate of their number based on the number of course completion published by CoS. My estimate was 30,000. But, to be on safe side, I assume that the number is 50,000 worldwide
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:44 pm

I made a count of the people I associate with who know about my former involvement in Scientology and who very likely boycott actors involved in Scientology. I estimate there are twenty such individuals that I associate with. I think the number may vary from person to person. I think the number of people who are connected to former members of Scientology is probably quite large. My own friends and acquaintances probably numbers about 500 people.

When I was involved in Scientology and working as a staff member all the people I associated with were involved in Scientology. I would say that for the most part that the number of people involved in Scientology is a closed group. Among the 25,000 to 50,000 people active in Scientology the friends and acquaintances those people have are part of that 25,000 to 50,000. This is by design. Cult mind control works best on those who are isolated from outside influences. All the cults do this. They probably all arrive at the practice through trial and error but there it is.

For every person involved in Scientology there are others that they were associated with but with whom they have given up contact or from whom they have disconnected. Those who have been eschewed with disconnection are likely to boycott Scientology celebrities, and they most likely outnumber those involved in Scientology by at least five to one.

People who leave Scientology come away lonely and isolated but it doesn't take them long to make friends, join clubs, get involved in community activity and so on. Within a year or two the average ex member likely accumulates at least two hundred to five hundred friends and acquaintances.

I have probably seriously low balled the economic influence former members of Scientology may have on the entertainment industry and other economic entities in Society. In the entertainment industry that number is very likely in the low billions.
Doris Lessing

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:20 am

I think the 25,000 members is probably too high. They only got 2,000 people for the Scientology Media Productions opening here in Hollywood, the home turf of the cult.

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men? Are there 25,000 members but most of them are only IN to prevent disconnection from friends/family? Of that hypothetical 25,000 how many are strong believers and how many are just tolerating it for now?

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:03 am

I read that a person who had been in keeping records of IAS membership had blown recently and confirmed they had 25,000 registered active members. There are people who just quietly stop turning up. I think Geoffrey Lewis did that. He had divorced his Scientology wife, moved, married another woman and had children, none of whom joined Scientology. This all came to light after he died.

I don't know how they would deal with the incessant phone calls and daily flood of mail. I suppose you can get an unlisted phone number and not leave a forwarding address when you move. The organization periodically issues a program instructing staff to recover all inactive Scientologists and get them moving on their next service. A year or two after you quietly slip away, eager Scientology staff members can show up where you live just oozing phony enthusiasm. I suspect that the person who has quietly left then gets detected as blown and declared suppressive, but that takes them off the list and lowers the statistic.

I think there are people who get declared in one place in Scientology and it doesn't get communicated beyond that location. I had people from the local org show up at my door a year after I walked away. I told them I didn't want to talk to them and shut them out. Within a week the mail from that org stopped, but it still arrived from three other orgs.

25,000 world wide could well be an inflated statistic. You got a free IAS membership. I'm sure they've declared you and then probably kept you on the membership list. That would be ironic beyond anything Shakespeare ever came up with.

With people on staff in Scientology a false report to management puts them in a condition of treason. Reports from management to the public seem to be exempt from that rule. Until there's better information I'm happy to go with "less than 25,000 world wide and falling."
Doris Lessing

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:36 pm

I think that it is important to know how many Scientologists have their income above 100K a year; they are the bread and batter of CoS. Unfortunately, I do not have this statistics.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”