A Weakness in a Cult Member's Defence Mechanism

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

A Weakness in a Cult Member's Defence Mechanism

Post by Wieber » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 pm

During a person's entry into a cult they undergo activity that brings on a euphoric hypnotic trance state. The activity may be different in the different cults but the end result is more or less the same. This is mentioned in the books on cults. Almost all active cult members and many ex cult members will deny that they entered such a state. When they do deny it you will most likely see the tell-tale cult member smirk on their face.

(If you are an ex cult member you will not fully recover from your cult experience until you deal with this.)

Once achieved, the euphoric hypnotic trance state, sets the cult recruit's hook and from that time on they are the property of the cult and the cult leader. Though the intensity of the trance state varies, it never goes away. While a person remains in a cult the activity (or activities) that brought on the trance state is (are) continually repeated. That's one of the main strengths of a cult but it can be an exploitable weakness.

While in the trance state the cult member is suggestible. Suggestion can clear out their bank account, get them to join staff, work hard, and accept harsh conditions, punishment and abuse. Suggestion can also deepen the trance state.

As a non cult member dealing with a cult member using this trance state can be tricky as the cult member has had suggestions that make them resistant to those who are not in authority in their cult. Nevertheless as a non cult member dealing with a cult member using a light touch and watching for an appropriate moment a suggestion can be given to the cult member that will affect them.

An example of this: "Having a hard day? You know you could leave. Oh, I should never have suggested that. Just ignore it."

You will be playing a type of confidence game doing this but if you have the cult member's best interest in mind you shouldn't have to feel bad about doing it.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

AngryGayPope

Re: A Weakness in a Cult Member's Defence Mechanism

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Nice try but ... saying "Having a hard day? You know you could leave." won't work.

What if they have no money, no relatives, noplace to go? How would they leave? This is often the case as the cult has front loaded them with weaknesses to prevent blowing.

Wieber

Re: A Weakness in a Cult Member's Defence Mechanism

Post by Wieber » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:07 am

Yes, it is difficult to leave. Nevertheless many of us have left. The very difficult first step seems to be deciding one has had enough and wants to leave.

The first time I left it took about ten months between making that decision and actually going. I wanted to leave but stay in good standing. Unfortunately my family had not read the books that would have given them the means to get me to decide not to go back.

I was lucky the second time. The time gap between deciding to leave and leaving was about ten minutes. Thanks to the Internet my family member had the tools that time. Within about three or four days I was truly done with Scientology.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”