Only fools fall for scientology (debunked)

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
ArnieLerma

Only fools fall for scientology (debunked)

Post by ArnieLerma » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:38 pm

“ONLY FOOLS FALL FOR SCIENTOLOGY” Variations on this headline is a common fallacy that needs to be addressed once and for all.

Hypnosis is most effective upon those with superior intelligence. The old hypnotists all agree, concluding that this is because:

“Intelligent people can control their minds better”

“Contrary to general belief, it has been my experience that the more intelligent the subject, the easier it is to induce hypnosis”
Stage Hypnotist,
Ralph Slater who played Carnegie Hall several times the winter of 1949/1950. (You can read his book HYPNOTISM in a large 100 megabyte *.pdf that I wish someone who was talented would squish to a smaller size HERE)

Page 18, Andrew Salter, “Conditioned Reflex Therapy” (c) 1949 contains an excellent summary of prior psychologist's conclusions regarding intelligence and hypnotism:

“Krasnogorski, a disciple of Pavlov, has demonstrated that in children the ease of reflex formation increases with intelligence.(22)

It is impossible to establish conditioned reflexes in congenital idiots, but in higher types of mental defectives reflexes can be conditioned, though only with difficulty and for short duration. In normally intelligent children the reflexes are easily conditioned. If intelligence is associated with ease of conditioning, we would also expect intelligence to be associated with ease of hypnotizability. And in fact there is extensive evidence that this is the case Clinicians working in the older tradition have always known that hypnotizability goes with intelligence. Lloyd has said that the better the intelligence, generally speaking, the better the subject, if he can be hypnotized at all.(23)

Tuckey also emphasizes this and speaks of the “fallacy of the contention which one sometimes hears urged against hypnotism, that it is only applicable to fools and weaklings.”(24)

It is easy to hypnotise intelligent children, almost impossible to hypnotise dull ones. These observations have been verified in the laboratory. White found that students with higher college marks were somewhat better hypnotic subjects than those with lower ones.(25)

He found that high scores on college level intelligence tests had a positive relationship with hypnotizability, and David and Husband, using the American Council of Education scholastic aptitude tests. found a similar and stronger correlation. (2Ralph Slater “Hypnotism”

“Contrary to general belief, it has been my experience that the more intelligent the subject, the easier it is to induce hypnosis” Ralph Slater, Stage Hypnotist, played Carnegie Hall several times the winter of 1949/1950 then D.I.A.netics appeared the next spring..

Hull presents a page of similar positive correlations. (27)

Hull (Clark Hull), who said “words… are assumed..to have acquired during previous history of the subject, through the process of association or conditioning, the capacity to to evoke the reactions of which they are the names, ” calls the conditioned reflex “one of the most primitive of all learning and memory processes.”(28)

In a broad sense, then, there should be no occasion for surprise that intelligence helps rather than hinders, the acquisition of hypnosis. ”

Hana Eltringham as the D/Commodore, the highest “rank” in Hubbard’s navy, now Hana Whitfield, described following Hubbard (The Commodore) down a passage of the Apollo when he paused and said

‘You know, it’s really all just hypnosis...”

Sufficiently reawakened survivors of the cult experience eventually realize that they have a microcosmic perspective on society as a whole

SOURCE: https://arnielerma.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... ientology/
I's prefer to die speaking my mind than live fearing to speake

Lermanet.com Exposing the CON since 1993
arnielerma.wordpress.com

Don Carlo

Re: Only fools fall for scientology (debunked)

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:28 pm

There are tests for how easily one can be hypnotized, just google "hypnosis suggestibility" . This article mentions some personality types that are susceptible to hypnosis. http://www.selfhypnosis.com/suggestibility/

I agree that many smart people got sucked into Scientology. Some, however, figured out it was a con, but fear disconnection from loved ones if they quit.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I am not going to argue for or against the suggestion that the hypnosis was used to keep people interested in Scientology because I know very little about the hypnotism.

However, I do not think that I was hypnotized in any way prior to joining Sea Org (I left SO after working for them for less than 5 months). When I was taking a Basic Dianetics course, I asked for an auditing session, and got it. The session lasted for about 30 minutes. That was the only Dianetics auditing that I received during my Scientology experience that lasted for about 2 years.

However, I delivered plenty of Dianetics auditing to my WOG friends (the Scientologists didn't trust me as an auditor because I was at the bottom of the Bridge chart). My auditing was based on the Volumes I and II of Dianetics series. I do not think that my subjects were hypnotized although I cannot be 100% sure of that. None of my subjects became a Scientologist, and I didn't offer any of them to join CoS because I didn't want to lose them to more "experienced" Dianetics auditors.

I think that the hypnotism is not the only reason why people join CoS.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:03 am

Some people are excited by auditing and want to do it again and again. Those are the ones I'd like to give a hypnotizability test - they might score high. The ones who are only mildly interested in the experience are less hypnotizable and more likely to quit.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Don Carlo wrote:Some people are excited by auditing and want to do it again and again. Those are the ones I'd like to give a hypnotizability test - they might score high. The ones who are only mildly interested in the experience are less hypnotizable and more likely to quit.
Those people in Scientology who don't want auditing or who aren't interested in getting audited are looked on as out ethics. Not wanting auditing is also looked on as an attribute of a suppressive person.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”