FREEDOM magazine - Hurricane Irma

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
NEVER-IN

FREEDOM magazine - Hurricane Irma

Post by NEVER-IN » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:32 pm

:roll:
I've been reading lots and lots on this board, but have never posted until now. I just received a carefully wrapped magazine called FREEDOM. Even before unwrapping it I said to myself, "This is from the scientologists. Yup! Darn if it isn't one of the slickest propaganda pieces I've ever seen. If one didn't know about this organization, they would think it's the greatest thing since the founding of the republic.

Can anyone confirm whether they really did all these "good works" out of the goodness of their hearts? Also, did Hubbard really write the closing essay 31 years ago or more?

Oh and it came with an invite to visit the Scientology Information Center:
"The Scientology Information Center, located in the historic Clearwater Building, houses a gallery of audiovisual displays with some 400 videos. Come take a self-guided tour showing basic Scientology beliefs, Churches around the world, ongoing social programs and the life of L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology's Founder. The Center offers tours to the broad public and civic leaders; holds concerts and receptions for the community; and opens up the use of its conference room to social, civic and non-profit groups."

P.S. I don't see D.M.'s name anywhere.

I'mglib

Re: FREEDOM magazine - Hurricane Irma

Post by I'mglib » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:58 am

From what I've heard, Miscavige never does anything out of the goodness of his heart. Every good deed is simply a photo opportunity, so that there will be lots of lovely photos to present at the New Year's event they put on every year, where photos of all the new buildings and all the volunteers in disaster areas and just ridiculous vignettes with minor foreign dignitaries locking arms with Scientologists who peddle The Way To Happiness or drug programs to unsuspecting prey. There are videos online of these events and it's just a stream of ridiculous propaganda.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Wieber

Re: FREEDOM magazine - Hurricane Irma

Post by Wieber » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Welcome to the Bake, NEVER-IN.

L. Ron Hubbard in his policies on public relations wrote "good works well publicized." This is one of the things Hubbard specified as needed to get public favor and support. Read between the lines. Good works are done by those involved in Scientology to promote Scientology. They do not do good works for the sake of doing good works. There are some charities that do that. They have very little, if anything, in common with Scientology.

The funding for those good works does not come from Scientology's money pile. The manpower for those good works does not come from Scientology's contracted work force. There may be Scientology staff members who work administratively for those things but those people don't go into the field and do the work. Scientology's volunteer ministers raise their own funding and do the work. They also pay Scientology for their volunteer minister courses, shirts, jackets, patches and other publicity apparel.

The public members of the volunteer ministers may be doing what they're doing out of the goodness of their hearts. Those who work with them administratively may feel a sense of helping others. In my opinion Hubbard didn't care so long as it got favorable public opinion for Scientology. I don't know much about David Miscavige's motives but I suspect he doesn't care about whether or not people get helped, so long as Scientology gets a positive response.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”