Scientology Irony

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

Scientology Irony

Post by Wieber » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 pm

L. Ron Hubbard put out this poetic piece (Ron, the Poet) called The Aims of Scientology.

One of the aims of Scientology is "a world without war." Cool, I want that. Doesn't everyone?

Then what does Ron do? He sets up a quasi military organization called the sea org and puts all its staff members in faux navy uniforms.

That's a bit of a contrary fact™, isn't it?
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

duhast1

Re: Scientology Irony

Post by duhast1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:28 am

And I would add, then waging war on anyone or anything deemed an enemy (critic).
I'm worth a million in prizes.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:27 am

Waging war on anything outside the cult is a cult control mechanism. It generates mistrust of outsiders among the cult members. That inhibits having connection with those outside the cult. When connection exists, those outside the cult are not trusted and what they say has no credence with the cult member. It is also another means of distracting the members from the exploitation and abuse they have to suffer as cult members.

This is not unique to scientology. All the cults do it.
Doris Lessing

duhast1

Post by duhast1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 am

That is all so schizophrenic. Scilontology = Good, Outsiders = Bad, but we want to Clear the planet, and bring all outsiders into Scilontology. Do not try to adjust your television. We control the horizontal, we control the vertical. We 'know', and will tell you what to think.

Compare with Bible verses directing believers to "reason" together as well as with unbelievers, knowing why you believe what you do and are able to articulate it.

And on the whole, Scilons will tell/explain NOTHING to an unbeliever.

Demented Lron

Post by Demented Lron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm

No war? But before that Scientology wages a religious war against all other religions and wins it!

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 pm

People in Scientology will not tell anyone much, if anything about it. This is a strong prohibition against verbal data™. The only accepted method of finding out about Scientology is to get it as directly from L. Ron Hubbard as possible. In addition to that, giving a raw public person a misunderstood word is a Scientology crime. There is also a prohibition against discussing what happened while being audited.

When a non scientologist asks a scientologist about scientology, what they almost always get is what I call the Scientology smirk. It's a small smile that people involved in scientology show to people outside the organization. I used to do it when I was in and if you watch for it you'll see it.

Here's another Scientology irony. They're not allowed to discuss the technology, and that includes policy. They're not allowed to talk about the content of their courses. They're not allowed to talk about what went on in auditing sessions. But when they get together socially the thing they talk about almost exclusively is Scientology. Even when other topics come up Scientology gets integrated into the conversation.

When two Scientologists meet for the first time, you know what they ask each other? 'Where are you on the bridge?' 'What's your next step?' 'What's your training level?' 'What's your next course?'

Sometimes this creeps in: 'Can I be your FSM?' FSM is short for field staff member. Your field staff member gets 10% of all the money you spend on Scientology services.
Doris Lessing

duhast1

Post by duhast1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Wieber wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 pm
People in Scientology will not tell anyone much, if anything about it. This is a strong prohibition against verbal data™. The only accepted method of finding out about Scientology is to get it as directly from L. Ron Hubbard as possible. In addition to that, giving a raw public person a misunderstood word is a Scientology crime. There is also a prohibition against discussing what happened while being audited.

When a non scientologist asks a scientologist about scientology, what they almost always get is what I call the Scientology smirk. It's a small smile that people involved in scientology show to people outside the organization. I used to do it when I was in and if you watch for it you'll see it.

Here's another Scientology irony. They're not allowed to discuss the technology, and that includes policy. They're not allowed to talk about the content of their courses. They're not allowed to talk about what went on in auditing sessions. But when they get together socially the thing they talk about almost exclusively is Scientology. Even when other topics come up Scientology gets integrated into the conversation.

When two Scientologists meet for the first time, you know what they ask each other? 'Where are you on the bridge?' 'What's your next step?' 'What's your training level?' 'What's your next course?'

Sometimes this creeps in: 'Can I be your FSM?' FSM is short for field staff member. Your field staff member gets 10% of all the money you spend on Scientology services.
And once again, (I am not touting Christianity here, only comparing a Great World Religion) let's compare Christianity. There is NOTHING in Christianity that is secret, NOTHING a believer is told (ordered) to keep close to the vest, NO 'secret knowledge'. Believers are ENCOURAGED to spread the 'Good News'.

Scientology is nothing more than a modern 'Mystery Religion'. https://www.google.com/search?q=mystery ... e&ie=UTF-8, "I know a secret, neener neener neener..."

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 am

Yes, it's a mystery religion. At the same time forbidding members to discuss Hubbard's writings, outside his fiction (what am I saying? It's all fiction!), and forbidding them to discuss what they are studying or what they are experiencing in auditing sessions, keeps them from comparing notes. This inhibits people from concluding they've been had and keeps them in.

Slightly off topic but there is another part of the experience of being in Scientology that rankles me now that I'm out. Everyone inside is stuck in this phony enthusiasm. If the emotion were depicted visually it would be like a pretty woman wearing way too much makeup and nine inch heels.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 am

Hubbard called it a "mystery sandwich," which shows his contempt for his believers.

duhast1

Post by duhast1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm seeing that current commercial (can't think of the product) where there's a bunch of waiters and waitresses doing a super-enthusiastic birthday dance for someone. Big bold phony smiles and moves. Major fake.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 am

Except the people in the ad know they're being fake.
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”