LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Tigger

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Post by Tigger » Sun Feb 18, 2001 7:06 am

For those who are able to use their real names, writing letters to the editor of your local paper or any other media to inform the public about scientology (especially to counter the COS propagandda) is a good idea. Following are some letters to the editor, both scieno and critic. Transferred from A.R.S.

Group: alt.religion.scientology Date: Sat, Feb 17, 2001, 4:46pm (CST+6) From: batchild1@home.com (BatChild(SueM.))
Found at:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 109659.DTL
====================
[snip]
'SPREADING HATRED'
Editor -- I'm a Scientologist. I had thought I could live in San Francisco without being subjected to prejudice, but your series of articles ("Alternative Faiths," Feb. 11 to 14) has disturbed the peace I had hoped to find here.

It is obvious that there is an agenda in these articles to sell newspapers by spreading hatred for those people who choose to live differently. You owe an apology to these people and also to society. You have cemented another brick into the wall of hatred that divides our country.

RICHARD TRAFTON
San Francisco
----------------------------------------------
NO EXAGGERATION
Thank you for your article on Scientology (Feb. 12). As an ex-member of this "church," I can attest that the abuses you report are neither exaggerated nor uncommon, but merely Scientology's everyday dealing with apostate members.
There may be some people who thrive in such a cult-type environment. There are many more who don't, who are going to be sucked in by Scientology's impressive PR machine and deceptive claims. They are going to find themselves stuck in a nightmare.

ALAN IRWIN
Seaside
HATE JOURNALISM
Your "story" is a false picture of Scientology and can't be seen as anything other then what it is, an attempt to create hatred. Why else would you not mention the millions of people that are being helped by these people who work the long hours, the fantastic advances in education and drug abuse that have been made by Scientologists applying Scientology, mostly for free.
Your selection of adjectives (though amateurish) -- "cult," "greed," "Orwellian," "authoritarian" -- are all calculated to create hate.
Why do you insist on making me sound evil? What purpose does it serve? What goal would be achieved?

JOHN ALLENDER
San Jose
NO ESCAPE
Editor -- Thank you for the article on Scientology. It is heartening to hear of people escaping, because my father never did. My father was a chemical engineer and an alcoholic who was told by Scientology that he could become a controlled drinker. Throughout years of Scientology counseling his alcoholism worsened, while his so-called counselor went out drinking with him after sessions.
After he was dubbed "clear" (Scientology lingo) he mortgaged the house to pay for advanced training. Over the years, my mother left him, he lost his job,

He became demented after an alcoholic coma, and finally he died. I wanted to sue Scientology, but for what? Grand theft of a father from his family?

NANCY NEFF
Palo Alto
[snip]
====================
http://www.primenet.com/~xenubat
http://scorsese.jumpmovies.com
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

Return to “Opinions & Debate”