Aesop's Fables for Scientology

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
don_carlo

Aesop's Fables for Scientology

Post by don_carlo » Sat Mar 03, 2001 4:06 pm

Aesop's fables are amazingly appropriate to Scientology. We've already discussed "The Emperor's New Clothes," a fable from the distant past that captures the blindness about how nobody in Scientology can demonstrate "OT powers," yet everybody claims to believe in them. My next post today will be the "Emperor" fable. It's worth a second look.

Tomorrow I'll post "The Wolf and the Lamb," also from the Aesop's website: http://www.2020site.org/aesop/index.html

This thread is dedicated to the recent clones on this website.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sat Mar 03, 2001 4:24 pm

Once upon a time there lived a vain emperor whose only worry in life was to dress in elegant clothes. He changed clothes almost every hour and loved to show them off to his people.

Word of the Emperor's refined habits spread over his kingdom and beyond. Two scoundrels who had heard of the Emperor's vanity decided to take advantage of it. They introduced themselves at the gates of the palace with a scheme in mind.

"We are two very good tailors and after many years of research we have invented an extraordinary method to weave a cloth so light and fine that it looks invisible. As a matter of fact it is invisible to anyone who is too stupid and incompetent to appreciate its quality."

The chief of the guards heard the scoundrel's strange story and sent for the court chamberlain. The chamberlain notified the prime minister, who ran to the Emperor and disclosed the incredible news. The Emperor's curiosity got the better of him and he decided to see the two scoundrels.

"Besides being invisible, your Highness, this cloth will be woven in colors and patterns created especially for you." The emperor gave the two men a bag of gold coins in exchange for their promise to begin working on the fabric immediately.

"Just tell us what you need to get started and we'll give it to you." The two scoundrels asked for a loom, silk, gold thread and then pretended to begin working. The Emperor thought he had spent his money quite well; in addition to getting a new extraordinary suit, he would discover which of his subjects were ignorant and incompetent. A few days later, he called the old and wise prime minister, who was considered by everyone as a man with common sense.

"Go and see how the work is proceeding," the Emperor told him, "and come back to let me know."

The prime minister was welcomed by the two scoundrels.

"We're almost finished, but we need a lot more gold thread. Here, Excellency! Admire the colors, feel the softness!" The old man bent over the loom and tried to see the fabric that was not there. He felt cold sweat on his forehead.

"I can't see anything," he thought. "If I see nothing, that means I'm stupid! Or, worse, incompetent!" If the prime minister admitted that he didn't see anything, he would be discharged from his office.

"What a marvelous fabric, he said then. "I'll certainly tell the Emperor." The two scoundrels rubbed their hands gleefully. They had almost made it. More thread was requested to finish the work.

Finally, the Emperor received the announcement that the two tailors had come to take all the measurements needed to sew his new suit.

"Come in," the Emperor ordered. Even as they bowed, the two scoundrels pretended to be holding a large roll of fabric.

"Here it is your Highness, the result of our labor," the scoundrels said. "We have worked night and day but, at last, the most beautiful fabric in the world is ready for you. Look at the colors and feel how fine it is." Of course the Emperor did not see any colors and could not feel any cloth between his fingers. He panicked and felt like fainting. But luckily the throne was right behind him and he sat down. But when he realized that no one could know that he did not see the fabric, he felt better. Nobody could find out he was stupid and incompetent. And the Emperor didn't know that everybody else around him thought and did the very same thing.

The farce continued as the two scoundrels had foreseen it. Once they had taken the measurements, the two began cutting the air with scissors while sewing with their needles an invisible cloth.

"Your Highness, you'll have to take off your clothes to try on your new ones." The two scoundrels draped the new clothes on him and then held up a mirror. The Emperor was embarrassed but since none of his bystanders were, he felt relieved.

"Yes, this is a beautiful suit and it looks very good on me," the Emperor said trying to look comfortable. "You've done a fine job."

"Your Majesty," the prime minister said, "we have a request for you. The people have found out about this extraordinary fabric and they are anxious to see you in your new suit." The Emperor was doubtful about showing himself naked to the people, but then he abandoned his fears. After all, no one would know about it except the ignorant and the incompetent.

"All right," he said. "I will grant the people this privilege." He summoned his carriage and the ceremonial parade was formed. A group of dignitaries walked at the very front of the procession and anxiously scrutinized the faces of the people in the street. All the people had gathered in the main square, pushing and shoving to get a better look. An applause welcomed the regal procession. Everyone wanted to know how stupid or incompetent his or her neighbor was but, as the Emperor passed, a strange murmur rose from the crowd.

Everyone said, loud enough for the others to hear: "Look at the Emperor's new clothes. They're beautiful!"

"What a marvelous train!"

"And the colors! The colors of that beautiful fabric! I have never seen anything like it in my life." They all tried to conceal their disappointment at not being able to see the clothes, and since nobody was willing to admit his own stupidity and incompetence, they all behaved as the two scoundrels had predicted.

A child, however, who had no important job and could only see things as his eyes showed them to him, went up to the carriage.

"The Emperor is naked," he said.

"Fool!" his father reprimanded, running after him. "Don't talk nonsense!" He grabbed his child and took him away. But the boy's remark, which had been heard by the bystanders, was repeated over and over again until everyone cried:

"The boy is right! The Emperor is naked! It's true!"

The Emperor realized that the people were right but could not admit to that. He thought it better to continue the procession under the illusion that anyone who couldn't see his clothes was either stupid or incompetent. And he stood stiffly on his carriage, while behind him a page held his imaginary mantle. THE END.

P.S. This is actually a Hans Christian Anderson fable, but the rest of the fables are by Aesop.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sat Mar 03, 2001 4:35 pm

Comment on "The Emperor" fable: Children raised in Scientology also ask questions about why things aren't right, and promises keep getting broken, and people disappear from the group. The cult has many, many stock explanations to reply. Eventually the child becomes a questioning teenager and needs to choose to join the scam or escape it.

If the Emperor required all his people to tell their dark secrets to the tailors, and they were all afraid for their reputations and jobs, they would have grabbed the boy and sent him to the Emperor's "RPF" to clean latrines and go over his misunderstood words.

Paul Wilkens

Post by Paul Wilkens » Sun Mar 04, 2001 12:33 am

Then there is the fable about the Grasshopper and the Ant. The Ant worked hard and saved his money for his retirement, rent, food, and any unexpected emergencies. The Grasshopper spent his money and took out loans for auditing and courses thinking that happiness could be bought for the price of an intensive. The Grasshopper also quit his legit job and joined staff on the promise of free training, auditing, the false glory of clearing the planet. The Grasshopper was last seen on the RPF and the Ant lived a normal life free of false promises of greatness and the harrassment of Scientologists.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sun Mar 04, 2001 3:33 pm

The Wolf And The Lamb
A WOLF meeting with a Lamb astray from the fold, resolved not to lay violent hands on him, but to find some plea, which should justify to the Lamb himself his right to eat him. He thus addressed him: "Sirrah, last year you grossly insulted me." "Indeed," bleated the Lamb in a mournful tone of voice, "I was not then born." Then said the Wolf, "You feed in my pasture." "No, good sir," replied the Lamb, "I have not yet tasted grass." Again said the Wolf, "You drink of my well." "No," exclaimed the Lamb, "I never yet drank water, for as yet my mother's milk is both food and drink to me." On which the Wolf seized him, and ate him up, saying, "Well! I won't remain supperless, even though you refute every one of my imputations."

Perfect fable for Scientology recruiters, eh? You're breathing and naive, you must need a communications course, sign up here. No money? Take a loan? Sign up here for thousands of dollars more. No credit? Sell your car. Sign up for tens of thousands more. No assets? Sign up for Sea Org and live worse than migrant farm workers.

When the basic aim of the Org is "stats" which basically = "money," every lamb looks like raw meat.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sun Mar 04, 2001 8:30 pm

The Wolf And The Crane by Aesop.
A WOLF, having a bone stuck in his throat, hired a Crane, for a large sum, to put her head into his throat and draw out the bone. When the Crane had extracted the bone, and demanded the promised payment, the Wolf, grinning and grinding his teeth, exclaimed: "Why, you have surely already a sufficient recompense, in having been permitted to draw out your head in safety from the mouth and jaws of a wolf."

In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains. THE END.

Comment: Sea Org volunteers, you know people around you in the Org are cheating on their stats, backstabbing each other, and lying to the public. If you're loyal to this cockroach-infested "acceptable truth" mudpit, don't expect it to be loyal to YOU.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sun Mar 04, 2001 8:40 pm

The Fox And The Goat by Aesop.
A FOX having fallen into a deep well, was detained a prisoner there, as he could find no means of escape. A Goat, overcome with thirst, came to the same well, and, seeing the Fox, inquired if the water was good. The Fox, concealing his sad plight under a merry guise, indulged in a lavish praise of the water, saying it was beyond measure excellent, and encouraged him to descend. The Goat, mindful only of his thirst, thoughtlessly jumped down, when just as he quenched his thirst, the Fox informed him of the difficulty they were both in, and suggested a scheme for their common escape. "If," said he, "you will place your fore-feet upon the wall, and bend your head, I will run up your back and escape, and will help you out afterwards." On the Goat readily assenting to this second proposal, the Fox leapt upon his back, and steadying himself with the Goat's horns, reached in safety the mouth of the well, when he immediately made off as fast as he could. The Goat upbraided him with the breach of his bargain, when he turned round and cried out: "You foolish old fellow! If you had as many brains in your head as you have hairs in your beard, you would never have gone down before you had inspected the way up, nor have exposed yourself to dangers from which you had no means of escape." THE END

Comment: This fable reminds me of the rule that a Sea Org person can't leave his job until he has found a replacement. So he lies about how easy and great the job is, then when the naive "goat" jumps in to drink the "sweet" water in the dangerous "well," he climbs over her to escape that dead-end job.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sun Mar 04, 2001 8:55 pm

The Kid And The Wolf by Aesop.
A KID, standing on the roof of a house, out of harm's way, saw a Wolf passing by: and immediately began to taunt and revile him. The Wolf, looking up, said: "Sirrah! I hear thee: yet it is not thou who mockest me, but the roof on which thou art standing." THE END.

This parable works both ways. The critic taunts Scientology here, but it is not the regulars here, but the Internet, that is taunting them - a safe rooftop for us so we can exercise our right to free speech without being sued or picketed. The Internet has taken away the wolf's power.

The other way you can interpret the fable is that a Scientologist/kid is in its Ron-bubble on the roof, and the critic/wolf is walking by. The critic hears all the accusations that the critic is "hate-filled" and "bigoted." But without the Ron-bubble filtering out the reality of Scientology's crimes, the Scientologist would have to confront not just "what's true for him," but what crimes really happened. Here the Internet is tunneling holes into the Ron-bubble, bringing information and illumination.

haarek

Post by haarek » Thu Apr 05, 2001 10:21 pm

To govern the Kings squirrels

Once upon a time there was a king who had
one thousand squirrels. He treasured
his small furry animals highly, and
furnished the barn he kept them in, in the
best way he could think of. But he felt
sad when he thought of the fact that they
never got to play in the threes in the
forest.
So he decided that he should hire a guy
to govern them while they where playing
in the forest, and he would pay well for
the job. But if only as much as one squirrel
got lost, he would punish the guy by cutting
his head of.
The job paid well, so many guys tried.
But no one had any success, because as soon
as this king soldiers had let the thousand
squirrels loose, they ran in all directions
and was very difficult to hold in a herd.
Many a poor guy lost his head that summer.

After a while the king had problems hiring
any one for the task, it was just to risky
to govern the kings squirrels.
The king then decided to sweeten the pot
by promising anyone who could govern his
squirrels for a hole day without loosing
any squirrels would get the princess hand
in marriage.

With the possibility of getting hatched up
with the princess, there where two
brothers who felt cocky enough to embark
upon the task.

The eldest, Per, went first.
He started walking through the forest
on his way to the king. In the forest he
met an old woman who had her nose
stuck in a crack on a stump.
She saw him coming and said:" Hi there
stranger. I have been stuck here for a
hundred years and have not been able
to move or eat for all that time. Can you
help me to get loose?"
Per chuckled:" Have you been stuck here
for a hundred years, can you be here for
a hundred more." And then he walked away.

He walked up to the kings barn, where he
met the king. There he stated his business
and promised to govern the squirrels from
dusk to dawn in the forest.
But he was no success and his head was
removed from his body.

When the younger brother heard what had
happened he thought:" Well, if my brother
didn`t succeed, then that is no reason
why I can`t."

So the younger brother, named Espen,
took his shoes on and started walking
through the forest.
There he met the old woman who had her
nose stuck in a crack on a stump.
She said:" Hi there stranger. I have been
stuck here for a hundred years without
food. Can you help me to get loose?"
Espen found a stick and used it to widened
the crack, and the old woman was able
to get free.
He then gave her the little food he had.
She said:" God bless you, you kind soul."
She then took a wissle out of her pocket,
gave it to him, and said:" If you are
ever in trouble, just blow the whistle,
and your problem will be solved."
Espen took the whistle, said thank you,
and waved at her as he walked away.

He met the king in front of the barn, where
all the squirrels was. He promised to
govern the kings thousand squirrels
the next day from dusk to dawn.

The next day he walked out in to the forest
with the kings soldiers. When they had
come deep in to the forest, the soldiers
let loose all the squirrels and walked
away.
Espen tried to keep the squirrels in a herd,
but as soon as he had gathered some of them
and went to gather some more, the ones he
had in the herd, ran away. Up a three, down
a hill, out on a branch, they where all
over the place, but so hard to control,
and impossible to keep in a herd.

He was frustrated.
Then he remembered the whistle.
He blew the whistle and no sooner had he
done so, came all the squirrels running
and lined up like a platoon of soldiers.

At this point the sun was setting, so he
started walking back to the king, and all
the squirrels followed him back to the
king.
The king was very pleased with Espen.
The king hold his promise and Espen
married the princess. The wedding lasted
for 7 days and nights.
And if they are not divorced, they are
still happily married.

----------------------------------------

So who is who in this fairy tale?