Int Scn News #15: Chigaco district police sergeant sees the light at local mission

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
catarina

Int Scn News #15: Chigaco district police sergeant sees the light at local mission

Post by catarina » Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:32 am

From the New Year's event speech of Karen Hollander, who was talking of the impact of Scientology missions on communities:

"One such story is that of Chicago's Cabrini Green district, with its high incidence of drug- and alcohol-related crime, how the district police sergeant showed up at the Chicago Mission, looking for solutions – and how he found the alternative to billy clubs and other "traditional" methods for handling people under the influence."

(Anything to do with Mark Bunker's case in Chicago?)

Mike de Wolf

Post by Mike de Wolf » Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:45 pm

Caitriona,

That reminds me of the time I followed LRH's advice and applied TR-9 (Training Routine 9 from the Communications Course) on a drunk at a party.

I learned that using TR-9 with an intoxicated person is very different from TR-9 with a genrally cooperative twin in a Scio courseroom.

Judith Anderson

Post by Judith Anderson » Thu Mar 08, 2001 2:48 am

Billy clubs? Thought they went out in the fifties along with lobotomies.

el_roto

Post by el_roto » Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:37 pm

I thought the same thing, Judith. If you walked up to a police officer today and asked "Where's your billy club?", he'd have you submit for a breathalyzer exam on the spot. It's another perfect example of Scientology being stuck in the past. I'm surprised DM didn't mention "Paddy Wagons" while he was at it.

Sheesh

Steve G.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Fri Mar 09, 2001 1:45 am

I only heard the term "billy club" in the 1950's as well. My impression is that policemen carried them, and I remember hearing whispers about "hoods" (hoodlums) who actually owned "billy clubs."

I looked up "Billy club" on Yahoo and found it only mentioned on a kinky whips-and-bondage online store.

I looked up "Police baton" and got MANY newspaper stories and genuine police equipment sellers.

Please read the newspapers, Scientologists; you might learn how to speak standard 21st Century English.

Judith Anderson

Post by Judith Anderson » Sat Mar 10, 2001 2:44 am

Avoidance is a way station to ignorance.

That's why the Scientologists are stuck in Elron's rhetoric of the Fifties. I know about Fifties rhetoric and the subjects that were never discussed as being unfit for young people to hear about. It didn't help me, but I don't blame my parents. It's just the way things were back then. I vowed that when I had kids, as soon as they had questions, I had answers, no matter what the subject.

My Sci relative started sticking his head in the sand shortly after he joined the cult. He stopped reading the newspaper, gradually sealing himself off from the corruptive influence of the WOG universe. Eventually, some of us were added to the pile of corruptive influences and disconnected.

Yes, there is a lot of dross and drivel in the newspaper. There's a lot of evil in the world. But, if you are going to really live in the world, you have to be in it, and see it all, not just the tight little islands of smug prosperity.

When I read the Times article on AIDS in Africa, my immediate reaction was: "No way, am I ever going to South Africa." But I've changed my mind, since then. I am not going to go the avoidance route, no matter how ugly it gets.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”