COS TARGETS SCHOOLS IN U.K.???

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Tigger

COS TARGETS SCHOOLS IN U.K.???

Post by Tigger » Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:36 am

Richard Ford, Big Bill:

You guys know anything about this?

Transferred from a.r.s.:

NEWS: Scientologists could take over UK state schools

Group: alt.religion.scientology Date: Mon, Apr 16, 2001, 12:32am (CDT+6) From: chriso@lutefisk.OISPAMNOdemon.co.uk (ChrisOwen)
METRO, London, 11 April 2001

Controversial religious groups such as the Moonies and Scientologists might be allowed to run state schools under plans to reform the education system, a teachers' union leader said yesterday.

Under plans unveiled earlier this year, faiths other than the Christian churches are to be allowed to apply for public money to set up voluntary-aided schools.

Peter Smith, general secretary of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, asked his union's annual conference: "Will the proposals open the way for financially powerful cults such as the Scientologists or the Moonies to apply for public funding?

"Who is to decide between a mainstream non-Christian faith which is entitled to be considered and heavily back-rolled fringe religions?"
--
| Chris Owen - chriso@OISPAMNOlutefisk.demon.co.uk |
|---------------------------------------
| THE TRUTH ABOUT L. RON HUBBARD AND THE UNITED STATES NAVY | | http://www.ronthewarhero.org |
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

treelooney

Post by treelooney » Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:01 pm

Hi Tigger.

I have heard about this, but I politely give my opinion that I think it's unlikely to happen.
First and foremost, Scientology is not legally a religion in the UK, and this situation is unlikely to change in the forseeable future. Therefore they do not qualify as a faith which could obtain public money.
Secondly, such a move would be very unpopular, and I can't imagine any state (public) school would seriously contemplate it. The best that these groups can do is to set up their own private schools. There used to be a private Scientology school in East Grinstead, home of Saint Hill Manor. I don't know if it's still there.
There are religious schools in Britain of course, namely Christian (various denominations), Jewish, and just recently, a couple of state-run Muslim schools have opened. However, even the Muslims had to battle for years to win the public money.
Personally I think the comments by Peter Smith are rather speculative.

Big Bill Robinson

Return to “Opinions & Debate”