ANOTHER WEBSITE RECEIVES COS LEGAL THREAT

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Tigger

ANOTHER WEBSITE RECEIVES COS LEGAL THREAT

Post by Tigger » Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:42 am

Transferred from: a.r.s.:

Bradley Woodward

Subject: Scientology legal threats against my web page Group:

alt.religion.scientology,aus.org.efa Date: Fri, Apr 20, 2001, 7:24am (CDT+13) Organization: ARSCC (wdne) User-Agent: KNode/0.4beta4 X-Trace: news.iinet.net.au 987722776 7380 203.59.224.106

I run a web site that looks at the differences between Christianity and Scientology. I make the claim that the two faiths are fundamentally different, and are not compatible at all, despite Scientology's claims that they are.

The site in question is at

http://www.sweenytod.com/cos.

Today I got a letter from a lawyer representing them, Jeremy Malcolm, demanding that I take some of the material on the web site down. The demand includes an odd one: "not to cause or allow other persons to mirror or otherwise reproduce those statements". Interesting to say the least, not to mention impossible to do.

The quotes they want me to remove are the opening quote about starting a religion to make money, the links between Scientology and the Occult, specifically Alester Crowley, the section about Fair Game and DA'ing, the reference to a section talking about LRH saying the only way to control people is to lie to them and one of my favorite Scientology quotes where they say that if a woman gets beaten by her husband, it's because she hit him first.

The last demand they make is the obvious "Don't do this again, ever." clause.

I'm still thinking about what to do, and haven't made a decision yet. Jeremy wants a reply within 7 days, which I guess is 7 days from getting the letter, not when JM first alerted me it was on the way, some 10 days ago. I've been waiting, but at a guess Carmen Sferco, the local PR chick here in Western Australia, gave him the wrong address, because I've never seen the letter.

Gotta love clam tech. :)
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

Judith Anderson

Post by Judith Anderson » Fri Apr 20, 2001 3:31 am

The link between Scientology and the occult - true

Aleister Crowley and Elron - True

Fair Game - still alive and kicking!

Da'ing? What's that?

Similarities between CoS and Christianity? Remember, Elron said that Jesus was a pervert who liked little boys.

Elron himself said the best way to make money was to start a religion. I also believe that he knew a lot of his tech was baloney but it accomplished his objectives. He knew they were lies but he used them to control people.

Elron had no respect for women, abused his wives and made many disgusting, contemptuous, salacious remarks about females in general - if anyone has the stomach to wade through all the tripe he wrote about them, it's there.

I hope Bradley gets some good legal advice and doesn't cave.

Let's keep the First Amendment alive and healthy!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Apr 20, 2001 12:16 pm

Dear Bradley,
There is no issue of copyright involved in your using the quotes indicated. You are obviously a threat to CofS by informing people about the truth of scientology.
By the very fact that they are trying to stop you using these quotes proves that they exist. They have been in the public domain for zonks.
The CofS uses these tactics to (1) frighten you (2)get you involved in expensive court cases so they run you out of money (3) don't want the public to know the truth. There are many other tactics involved but that's enough.
Don't ignore the letter. Reply in such a way that tells them to get f$%%^^& nicely.

5th Element

Post by 5th Element » Fri Apr 20, 2001 5:55 pm

Bradley: You are obviously doing a damn fine job! Keep up the good work...and get a good lawyer right away. Take appropriate actions to ensure your and your family's safety. Get in contact with other critics, who have been "fair-gamed" and find out what you need to do to counteract co$ criminal assaults. Don't delay! They have clearly put you on their black-balled list.

Mike de Wolf

Post by Mike de Wolf » Sat Apr 21, 2001 6:47 am

This legal threat is blowing smoke. The LRH quotes are very brief, well within the definition of "fair-use." This site is constitutionally protected commentary.

Mike

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Apr 21, 2001 2:54 pm

Dear Bradley,
5th element wrote 'get a good lawyer'. Don't get a lawyer as this is exactly what they want you to do, unless you have unlimited funds.
Mike de Wolf is right, 'they are blowing smoke'.
Scientology is not about winning court cases it's
about harassment and bluff.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Apr 21, 2001 7:10 pm

There are a number of Christian sites that have comparisons between Christianity and Scientology. The quotes you have are all over the internet. I, too, think they are just trying to intimidate you into taking it down.

5th Element

Post by 5th Element » Mon Apr 23, 2001 4:51 pm

Of course, they are just trying to intimate Bradley. That's what they do for a living! The lack of any real copywrite violation will not prevent them from taking him to court. The lack of any criminal activity on his part will not prevent them from trying to frame him. His expression of his constitutional rights will not prevent them from writing up a invented "DA" pack on him. Anyone who reads this board should know that. The co$ doesn't play by the rules - they believe they are above any rules that govern proper civil and legal conduct! My advice still stands. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Return to “Opinions & Debate”