SCIENTOLOGY: LIES, DAMN LIES AND STATISTICS (WHAT ARE 'STATS'?)

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
pippi

SCIENTOLOGY: LIES, DAMN LIES AND STATISTICS (WHAT ARE 'STATS'?)

Post by pippi » Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:20 pm

Someone once said that there are 'lies, damn lies, and then statistics'. Scientology habitually uses the first two against the WOG world but what does it do with all those statistics it gathers from every corner of its world on thursday afternoons?

Just what exactly will the Encino or Dallas Orgs be collecting and sending tomorrow?

How are the STATS transmitted?

Who will receive these incoming STATS?

What is done with the STATS and by whom?

Are these STATS summarized and sent back to the originating ORGS?

Are the STATS availlable for inspection by any Scientologist?

What would happen to an ORG that failed to deliver its STATS, or delivered them several days late?

Thanks,

Pippi

catarina

Post by catarina » Wed Apr 25, 2001 6:40 pm

A great Hubbard invention. ;) First, some historical background from the Man himself:
"I have recently developed a means which should increase income at least double in any Central Organization if applied.
(...)
Organizations have slumps. These slumps stem directly from Org Dept failures. If these small slips are noticed in ample time, the organization cannot have a slump.
(...)
So please understand at the outset that this is not a clumsy graph system but a species of mechanical brain that keeps continuous check upon and corrects small bogs of its own accord. It
forecasts emergencies. Mary Sue points out that this must have come from the Combat Information Center of World War II of which I had told her, by which swarms of fighter planes, bombers or landing craft could be individually directed with great ease. The present idea has another source but a wartime CIC is a good comparison.

The immediate business ancestor is a clumsy graph, usually a few months behind, hastily brought to date for board meetings. This idea, expanded as I expanded CICs to handle amphibious landing craft, gives us a complete picture, a timely forecast and eventually, solutions to the problems of running a multi-department organization."
(HCO Policy Letter 11 Aug 1960 ORGANIZATION INFORMATION CENTRE)

What it described is an "Organization Information Centre" (OIC), a board with graphs of statistics updated weekly. Any increased statistics are drawn with a black line, any decreasing stat drawn in red. Then the executives of the org can quickly spot any trouble areas, investigate what the problem is and make plans for dealing with it. Well, that's the theory...
"An org today is not run on personalities. It's run on statistics. All orders are based on statistics. The old personality system used by the business world and military is as yesterday as the rack and almost as cruel. Go modern. Use statistics only." (HCOPL 1 Feb 1966 IV, STATISTICS, ACTIONS TO TAKE STATISTIC CHANGES)

Every single staff member keep some statistics, which are reported to the Dept of Inspections and Reports of the local org Thursdays. But there are some statistics, "Gross Divisional Statistics" (GDSes) which are more important than others and will be reported uplines, to senior organizations. A few examples of these from memory, relevant to a Class V org, that is a local level "church of scientology" like Boston, Tokyo or Stockholm:

GI (Gross Income) - no explanation necessary :)
GBS (Gross Book Sales)
NBS (Number of Books Sold)
PDC (Paid Completions) - people who have paid for and successfully completed a service (course, auditing level)
STP (Student Points) - the total number of points reached by students on courses during that week, the poor students are also covered by a statistics system where they score points for every page read, every word cleared, every drill passed, etc.
WDAH (Well Done Auditing Hours) - total number of paid for, acceptably performed, auditing hours delivered
QSH (Qualified Staff Hired) - new persons who signed a staff contract that week, a 5 year contract scores more points than a 2.5 year contract
BMO (Bulk Mail Out) - number of promotional pieces sent out (or as the rest of the world calls it, junk mail :) )
NNCF (New Names to Central Files) - new addresses gotten hold of to send junk mail to
C/B (Cash on hand vs. Bills owing)
SS (Success Stories) - number of positive testimonials squeezed out of people
NPI (New People In) - new people who stepped into the org
BIS (Bodies In the Shop) - number of people who came in for any service

OSA have their own interesting points system for "entheta attacks" etc, see http://www.suburbia.net/~fun/scn/fun/osa-points.txt

The main stats used to be reported by local orgs to the Data Bureau in their continental management org, who then reported to the Data Bureau of international management in LA, who probably reports via CMO to the top bosses (Miscavige and friends). From Astra Woodcraft's declaration, talking about circa 1997:
" When I worked in the Data department, one of my jobs was to gather the statistics from around the world on a weekly basis and compile them all and graph them on the computer. There were approximately 300 organizations and I had to get each one to report in between 50-200 statistics each week."

Reports used to be sent by telex. I don't know if they still are, or if they are using their INCOMM computer network.

The stats are intended for the executives' use. They are not sent back to the originating org from the higher org, but the local org is supposed to also make their own graphs for local use. They are normally displayed on a board in the staff area, not where the public scientologists stay, but they are not exactly forbidden for publics to view. A lower org does not get to view the higher level statistics (such as total gross income for Western US or international book sales).

An org not delivering its stats - that would be mutiny! Orgs are often late, as the org execs try to squeeze in some extra points to report to look good. This results in angry phone calls from swearing and screaming Sea Orgers. But to be more than a few hours late, or not reporting at all, would probably result in sending org executives to ethics, and a Sea Org mission sent to the org to straighten it out.

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Wed Apr 25, 2001 7:26 pm

All this frenetic activity, for what? Doesn't anyone in Scientology want to be a little bit lazy sometimes? Scientologists should be introduced to or reminded of the joys of an hour or two spent in idleness. Good for the soul and temper imo.

5th Element

Post by 5th Element » Wed Apr 25, 2001 7:39 pm

Catarina: You did an excellent job of explaining the whole choatic mess in a short and simple matter. Congratulations!

One of the interesting points is that higher "orgs" can view lower "orgs" stats, but not vis-versa. How convenient! This prevents anyone except the cult'$ "upper management" from knowing the truth as to what is happening to $cientology in the real world. Therefore, the slave drivers at the top of the dung heap, can "report" anything they can make up to the masses of Ronbots and no one will be the wiser. One of the things I noticed over the years is that at "events" the slime-buckets, show numerous graphs (all going up, of course), but there are no numeric #'s attached. There's no way to know from year to year, what the graphs mean in relation to what happened in prior years. So despite all the fanfare, they are meaningless.

The other thing I looked at was the site you mentioned, describing o$a'$ stats. What a laugh I had! I suggest everyone reading this, check it out - even make a copy for yourself. Then go out and see how many points you can get against o$a. I LOVE THIS! You can actually see how badly you are affecting their beloved graphs! Maybe we should run a contest on this board :)

Mike de Wolf

Post by Mike de Wolf » Wed Apr 25, 2001 9:22 pm

It is ironic that for all of their love of stattistics, very few meanful stats are made public.

We are told that there are 8 million Scientologists without being told a clear definition of what that means. How about the number of people attending course in a given week, the number of people who received auditing last year, or the number of Clears and OTs, after deducting the declared SPs and "false declares?"

With all of the numbers they have, management certainly knows these figures, or has the means to determine them. But to my knowledge they are never released publically.

Mike

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Apr 25, 2001 11:16 pm

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." Mark Twain, quoting Benjamin Disraeli.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:16 am

Catarina, I am laughing with delight at your link to entheta statistics. No wonder when somebody pickets an org, they keep running inside! They need to record their anti-entheta stats!

It's like a little hanster-wheel they have to run in when they encounter criticism. It prevents them from stopping to listen to the words.

Wouldn't it be cool if somebody from the org quit and brought up what kind of stats they got for their lame trolls and impersonations on THIS message board? Maybe that's why the trolls quit so quickly. They've got their statistic, now it's time to clean the ashtrays or other make-work task. Only a couple of pro-Scientologists have stayed and argued for over a week; they must really care (and even THEY gave up when we didn't convert on the spot).

agentx9

Post by agentx9 » Thu Apr 26, 2001 4:45 pm

Happy Stat Reporting Day, Everybody!!!

Some awful puns for you:

"Stat Ol' Devil Moon"
"How much is stat doggie in the window?"
"Stat old feeling"
"What is man, stat thou art mindful of him?"
Marlo Thomas as "Stat Girl"
"Statman! (nana-nana-nana-nana) Statman!"

I'm sure you folks could come up with more.

X9 (being very, very silly)

agentx9

Post by agentx9 » Thu Apr 26, 2001 4:48 pm

Happy Stat Reporting Day, Everybody!!!

Some awful puns for you:

"Stat Ol' Devil Moon"
"How much is stat doggie in the window?"
"Stat old feeling"
"What is man, stat thou art mindful of him?"
Marlo Thomas as "Stat Girl"
"Statman! (nana-nana-nana-nana) Statman!"

I'm sure you folks could come up with more.

X9 (being very, very silly)

pippi

Post by pippi » Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:11 pm

Isn't it amazing that with Scientology's unrivaled thoroughness in collecting data, none of this data ever gets released as information, and when statistical information is released, it has been shown (here some weeks ago) to be fraudulently massaged.

What is the informed opinion about the state of Scientology membership? Are they declining from some peak in the 1960's

Do they actually manage to recruit new members these days? I cannot imagine how (that's pretty naive I know!).

How long does it take to become an OT or even clear if one is on staff?

pippi

Paul Wilkens

Post by Paul Wilkens » Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:23 pm

AgentX9:

I was in Scientology once. All I can say is, "Is stat all there is?"

catarina

Post by catarina » Thu Apr 26, 2001 7:39 pm

Paul,
:)

Pippi,
My idea is that the CoS had some kind of peak during late 70s/early 80s. There were some extreme increases in the cost of auditing/courses at that time, the FBI raid and subsequent prison sentences for Mary Sue and co, the Sea Org (Miscavige) takeover of many successful privately owned Scientology "missions" and kicking out some very well known scientologists - a lot of oldtime scientologists seem to have left the organization around this time.

The absolute majority of the "churches" of scientology that exist today were already established in the mid-80s. What has increased in number of organizations (not necessarily persons) are the front groups.

There may also have been some temporary uptrend in the early 90s, around the time of the IRS deal? They did expand for a while in the former east block countries, esp. Hungary and Russia. Then came the "Golden Age of Tech" BS and the internet.

This is just my subjective impression, but it seems to me as if quite a few of the people who got into the organization in the 60s-70s were clever and often even well-educated people, more so than today. I was just browsing through the 1978 edition of "What is Scientology?", and while a hysterically funny book, there are some non-fanatic qualities in it that it would be impossible to find in a CoS publication today, for example it quotes a few negative statements about the organization from critics.

Of course they do still recruit new members, probably it varies in different parts of the world. Here in Scandinavia, the newer staff members I have run into have seemed to be either very young, generally uneducated and gullible, and/or immigrants. New public (paying) members that I have heard of have often been recruited through front groups like WISE companies.

To get clear/OT as a staff member - presuming you start out from scratch, good luck! It's not likely to happen for 10 or 15 years, more likely never. Unless you happen to get chosen for auditor training and get to co-audit with another student during that training, or get a really high post within the hierarchy. But that's not something to calculate with.

It works like this: as a staff member, you are supposed to get 12.5 hrs a week of study. First, you have to study all the requirements for your work position. After that, you can do regular scientology training courses, and even receive auditing - if there is some auditor who needs a preclear to practice on, and if there is no paying pc available. In theory orgs can have auditors especially assigned to audit staff, but I think that's rare in practice. But if you change your job within the organization, you will have to study up on your new job first of all. And changes can be very frequent! Then there is the biggest bug - you have to be able to take the 12.5 hrs to study. With the constant, unreasonable stats demands, many staff members feel too busy to study.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”