ASI Magazine

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
daffodil

ASI Magazine

Post by daffodil » Wed Apr 25, 2001 10:13 pm

Hi all,

What do you all know about an Author Services Publication called ASI Magazine?

Thanks in advance!

Daffy

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:24 am

There is an ASI Magazine put out by the Seventh Day Adventists - not related to Scientology. Seventh-Day Adventists are Christians whose Sabbath is on Saturday and who don't eat meat, don't smoke and don't drink. They are frequently used for medical studies in the U.S. to test the health benefits of their lifestyle. They have their own reputable hospitals in the U.S., and are not a cult.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:45 am

Hey, Scientology stole the name of ASI Magazine!
Here's a critic site about it, from August 1999:
http://www.geocities.com/xenu2000/archive/NOW990805.htm

QUOTE: ASI Magazine, a tabloid-size periodical devoted to promoting Hubbard's non-fiction works. END QUOTE.

Here's a "Writers of the Future Contest" with a $4,000 prize. I wonder if they can tell if somebody is mocking L. Ron Hubbard's style and dogma? ;)
Look, they're showing a photo of Harvard U., where workshops have been held! I wonder if Harvard U. has given them permission to use that photo...
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/conte ... page06.htm

Hand me a barf bag - of all the Star Wars sequel authors, the most schlocky, mocked and despised is Kevin Anderson. Just read about him on fan websites. Here he is shilling for the contest: QUOTE: Kevin Anderson is a New York Times best-selling author who is unstinting in his admiration for L. Ron Hubbard’s contest...END QUOTE

Anne McCaffrey and Frederick Pohl are famous authors on the panel. Do they know what criminals they are rubbing elbows with?

agentx9

Post by agentx9 » Thu Apr 26, 2001 4:27 pm

I'm sure they do. Thing is, from my own observation of the contest since its inception about 15 years ago, WOTF judges tend to be the older SF and fantasy writers who may not write much (McCaffrey is the only exception I can think of right now, though I'm sure there are been others - past judges Larry Niven and the late Roger Zelazny also come to mind).

Some of them live comfortably, some of them may not. The deep pockets of Co$/ASI provide the judges a hefty stipend for lending their talents and their names to the WOTF contest, which gives it some credibilty despite the despotic name with which the contest is associated. I think they just hold their noses, do their jobs, collect their checks, and wait to be invited next back year to get another one. Thing is, you will probably never see William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Connie Willis, or Dan Simmons as judges.

Actually, the contest has been the starting point for several fine SF and fantasy writers. The only one I can think of right now is Lisa Goldstein. However, it has also given us Kevin J. Anderson and Dave Wolverton, who infest bookstores monthly (it seems) with their ceaseless publishing of Star Wars and X-Files novelizations. Those franchises eclipse too much of the fine SF and fantasy that gets published every year.

The Co$ may implode, but thanks to the LRH WOTF we'll never run out of crappy franchised formula fiction.

And that, I think, will be LRH's real legacy.

X9

daffodil

Post by daffodil » Thu Apr 26, 2001 4:32 pm

Hi Don Carlo --

This is sort of what I thought. I have obtained a copy of ASI magazine (the CoS version). It is Volume 4 Issue 1. I am given to believe it is the most recent. Sorry, but I don't want to say more than that so I don't compromise the method by which I obtained it.

The magazine is large format and full of pictures of LRH, and appears to me to be little more than a catalogue (complete with orderform insert) of Hubbard's fiction. I did not see any Scientology books in it. Just the pulp stories (including the westerns) and his sci-fi novels.

I was just wondering if any of you had heard of or seen this magazine before. This is the first I've seen or heard of it.

Thanks for the info! :)

Daffy

agentx9

Post by agentx9 » Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:29 pm

Something amusing (and, yes, gross) happened with the copy of ASI magazine that was sent to me.

I don't remember which issue it was, but it was full of mega-hype about Dave Wolverton's flesh-out of A VERY STRANGE TRIP, based on an LRH "screenplay" (which, if you've seen the one he wrote for BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS, is anyting but - no shot descriptions, no scene breakdowns, just short paragraphs describing what happens and who says what). It also had the "big news" about BATTLEFIELD: EARTH being made into a movie (of course, we know what happened to that).

Anyway, the cover had a painting of LRH based on the photo of him with his hand on his cheek (on his face, that is), looking a little stoned. One evening I heard my cat getting ready to hwarf a hairball. Since I had just cleaned my carpet, I didn't want to get anything on it. So I grabbed something from the magazine rack (guess what it was?) and slid it in front of her just before she blasted out a thick cord of hair greased with bile. It splatted right on LRH's forehead.

I laughed and said to my cat, "Look, you just turned Elron into Gorbachev."

Well, you had to have been there, I guess.

X9

luckytogetout

Post by luckytogetout » Thu Apr 26, 2001 7:18 pm

Daffy,

Author Services Int'l has put these magazines out for some time. It is little more than a catalog. I believe they have an office/bldg on Hollwood blvd near the Hollywood Guaranty Bldg-where the Life Exhibition is housed.

Their particular scam is to get scns subscribed to "LRH Masterpieces". Two books a month are sent out for about $45 a piece. They are leather bound and are color-coded as to the 'series'; westerns, sci fi, adventure and so on. It's just the pulp stories put into book form in very large font.

The small print on the invoice states it is not tax deductible and there is no guarantee of value or appreciation. One member I knew had more than one hundred volumes, and when she had all of the ones that had been created to that point, they started sending second copies, hoping she wouldn't notice, I'd guess!

X9-You're on fire! Thanks for the laughs!

Lucky :)

daffodil

Post by daffodil » Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:15 am

Thanks again, guys!

X-9, very appropos! I was wondering to what use I could put this 'magazine'. That's a great suggestion! :)

Also, X-9, looks like we posted at about the same time so I didn't see your post earlier. I was curious if anyone else had seen this, and I figured the connection was to the WOTF contest. But I really can't say more.

I have heard lots about that contest before, and some of the same opinions about the authors involved. Since I know that writing is not a high paid profession (unless you are either amazingly prolific and/or are lucky enough to hit it big) I had already considered the authors involved to be doing it in the interest of paying the rent. And/or out of ignorance about CoS.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys. This was the first I'd heard of this particular magazine, so I was curious. You guys are the best!

Have a good one!

Daffy

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Fri Apr 27, 2001 2:24 am

Since some famous non-Scientologists are on the panel, somebody could write a story mocking or unmasking Scientology or a similar made-up cult. It would be interesting to know if there is a screening panel that makes sure nothing "offensive" gets through to Anne McCaffrey and the others.

If somebody wrote a science fiction story, submitted it, and then contacted Anne McCaffrey to ask if it got through to her, that might reveal if only "safe" (for Scientology) writers get through to the judges' panel.

And since when has science fiction been about being "safe?"

Return to “Opinions & Debate”