"Apostate!" - CoS insult is from a lazy, hoodwinked academic

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

"Apostate!" - CoS insult is from a lazy, hoodwinked academic

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:29 am

CoS hurls the word at every escapee turned critic - APOSTATE. They use the word as a snappy insult, as if it explains everything, and include no further explanation. The word seems to come from Bryan Ronald Wilson, Ph.D. Here is my speculation-using-facts - I welcome comments.

In 1993 before the finalization of the Secret Agreement, CoS was desperately seeking any validation that it was a ''real religion." Dr. Wilson was one of the few academics that they could point to. Dr. Wilson had studied many new religions and made a nice academic career writing mostly positive books about them, becoming a "Reader," one step below full professor at Oxford. Even better, Dr. Wilson had a bias toward the leadership of new religions rather than any underlings. After all, the leadership created / maintained interesting dogma and rituals for Wilson to analyze, and often fawned over Wilson, while grumpy underlings just ruined the pretty picture.
Referring to a case involving the Exclusive Brethren, he once remarked somewhat tartly
the unquestionable freedom in Western society for individuals or groups to maintain a distinctive, serious and conscientious way of life, should not be less than the very evident contemporary freedom to maintain an utterly frivolous and uncaring life
Note 1a
Wilson published the definitive study on the Exclusive Brethren
in 1967, and was an expert witness in their court cases. Wilson’s
conclusions were based on information the religion provided
about itself; he dismissed ex-members’ accounts as suspect
atrocity stories and warned courts not to give credence to their
testimony.
Note 1b

Wilson's Exclusive Brethren writings show that Wilson, like many, confused individual religious freedom with authoritarian "free-to-rule" privilege for the leaders of a religion. Perfect for Scientology!
Jacqueline Kevanar, was the Sea Org Scientologist who was the In Charge on the project to secure the legitimizing treatises from the religion scholars, and she told me of going to Oxford, meeting Wilson, interacting and getting the product of the treatise.
(Note 1)

In 1993 Wilson became "Emeritus Reader" at Oxford, meaning he retired and had more free time while possibly hungry for a little fresh recognition and maybe some cash. He was suffering from Parkinsons and "amazed his friends by buying an enormous television set and watching such unlikely videos as Japanese westerns." (Note 1a) It appears Scientology's British headquarters Saint Hill invited him, fawned over him, staged one or more "religious services" that fooled him (Note 1), told him how mysterious and interesting Scientology was, and likely how awful its critics were. He wrote a favorable piece on Scientology and its secret teachings, comparing them to the secret teachings of the ancient Gnostics, which were revealed only to long-time students, in 1994. (Note 2)

Wilson is frequently named and quoted in CoS sites.
His work has involved reading the publications of these movements and, wherever possible, associating with their members in their meetings, services, and homes.
(Note 2) The previous sentence, if true, makes him quite the lazy academic, never looking at "the other side" of these religions.

Wilson wrote a paper The Creed of the Church of Scientology, (Note 2a). This is one of the major cornerstones of Scientology's claim to be a religion. While written in a thoughtful, articulate, very academic style, it does not look like original research. The first part appears to be a direct rehash of his earlier writings about new religions in general, and the second half appears to be heavily copied from Scientology's own works, for example theta and the tone scale from Science of Survival.(Note 2b)

CoS was desperate to bring down Larry Wollersheim, who had won a lawsuit against CoS in 1986, and was fighting to collect the funds. (Note 3) Wilson wrote a essay about apostates in 1994 (Note 4) that basically called them all bitter liars. His essay has no apparent sources or opposing views, so, academically, it's a pathetic paper. No peer-reviewed scholarly journal would have accepted it. But CoS LOVED it, and quoted it repeatedly.

Possible evidence, that CoS paid Wilson for his favorable writings about apostasy, is the above quote: "Getting the product of the treatise." This sounds like a paid deal. The work seems so perfectly tailored to CoS, which was burning from ex-members speaking out, and needed badly to say a magic word that would invalidate ALL of them. That word was apostasy.

If, near his death, Dr. Wilson had presented himself as just "Bryan Wilson with Parkinsons looking for auditing" Scientology would likely have rejected him sooner or later as a "degraded being," Scientology's word for people in poor health without a ton of money. But CoS eagerly welcomed and likely paid "Dr. Wilson, PhD from Oxford University", and politely ignored any Parkinsons symptoms, since the Oxford connection was a ticket to legitimacy for themselves and invalidation for their critics. Dr. Wilson died in 2004; if he ever took back his positive words on Scientology, please let me know. Wilson's apostate insult becomes more and more feeble over the years as a flood of ex-scientologists have told similar tales of abuse.

Note 1 Chuck Beatty post at http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/ ... ogy.67479/
Note 1a http://www.religionnewsblog.com/9150/bryan-wilson
Note 1b http://owll.massey.ac.nz/pdf/sample-book-review.pdf
Note 2 http://www.theta.com/copyright/wilson.htm
Note 2a http://www.bonafidescientology.org/Append/02/page17.htm
Note 2b http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_of_Survival
Note 3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Wollersheim
Note 4 http://www.scientologymyths.info/aposta ... -study.pdf
Last edited by Don Carlo on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Karen#1

Re: Apostate- CoS's insult is from a lazy and flattered acad

Post by Karen#1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:31 am

Interesting Don Carlo.

They use Apostate a lot. They use it to demean those who have fled and whistle blow to Media, author, journalists, TV network reports, the BBC, etc. etc.

"Rah Rah they spoke to APOSTATES" !

Gordon Melton and James Lewis,
renowned Religious Scholars, both reversed their position the "Church of Scientology."

See here ::::::

http://leavingscientology.wordpress.com ... s-r-lewis/

I got a real kick out of the fact that he cited one of the reasons he reversed was that my ex husband Heber was put in the Dungeon !
Even he had heard of SP Hole !
1) The defection of large numbers of long-time, high-ranking Scientologists, who reported intensive abuse at the highest levels of the Church. I am aware that CoS’s position on this has been to deny everything, and to accuse these ex-members of conspiring to concoct a negative picture of events. I find the official response unconvincing.
(2) The sacking of Heber Jentzsch. I knew Heber from when I first began to communicate with CoS in the mid 1980s. I respected him and came to regard him as someone I could trust. Retrospectively, I can now see that my evaluation of Heber significantly shaped my evaluation of the Church. So when he was taken off the front lines and consigned to some dungeon (figuratively speaking) in Gilman Hot Springs, it served to confirm, to my mind, what the high-ranking defectors were saying.
Word gets around !

Judith Anderson

Re: "Apostate!" - CoS insult is from a lazy, hoodwinked acad

Post by Judith Anderson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Usage of the term "apostate" is just another indication of Scientology's formulaic thinking. It is really an archaic term going back centuries when Europe was in a perpetual state of religious warfare and people were tortured and put to death for their beliefs when they didn't belong to the right religion.

Scientology should abandon usage of this term along with their odious practice of declaring everyone who differs from them a "suppressive person." That's also an indication of their formulaic thinking.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:09 am

"Apostate: somebody who renounces a belief or allegiance."
Encarta Concise English Dictionary

OK. I'll own that.

What's $cientology's definition for the word?

They've got some interesting terms they use to insult/denigrate/dehumanize people. Let's list some, shall we?

suppressive person
SP
psych
apostate
wog
natterer
degraded piece of shit
ethics bait
low toned
downstat
raw meat
squirrel
dilettante
theetie weetie
potential trouble source
PTS
degraded being
DB
druggie
dev-t (pronounced dev-tee)
homo sap
humanoid

If you note that I've left something out, please add it.

Dev-t is actually short for 'developed and unnecessary traffic' but in $cientology it is often used this way, "You're dev-t."

(edit in blue)
Last edited by Wieber on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:36 pm

This must be a new term for CoS. When I was a Scientologist I have not heard it; everything was about the SP -- the SP did this, the SP did that. Hubbard wrote that only 2% of the population are SP. Judging by the number of ex-Scientologists, his estimate was far off the mark. But Hubbard is always right, so there is a new term for new enemies of the Church.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

Don Carlo

Apostate! CoS insult is from a lazy, hoodwinked academic

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:59 pm

They use "apostate" in announcements to the public because they know outsiders have never heard the term "SP" or "suppressive person." Ousiders would find "suppressive person" confusing, outlandish and even comical. CoS imagines that the ordinary person knows the word "apostate" but they overestimate people's vocabulary skills. What people might think apostate means:
The state of being an apostle.
Someone who always states the "opposite" of your argument (this assumes the person hears rather than reads the word apostate)
An apprentice nun (confusion with word postulant)
Someone who lives in a state on the opposing side of the country?
Someone free from prostate cancer?
Unknown word - no dictionary nearby - person tunes out from rest of speech.

CoS also imagines many people have read Dr. Wilson's essay which makes sweeping insults against apostates, and that they agree with him. This is also wishful thinking. I took several world religion courses in college and to me, apostate is as neutral as "talkative ex-member."

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:59 pm

“The state of being an apostle.”

That’s what I thought with my vocabulary being somewhat above the average level.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Not surprising that academics have flip-flopped to become less than positive about scientology.

Omar Garrison comes to mind.
DECLARATION OF OMAR V. GARRISON

1. I am a professional author and journalist, who has

worked constantly at my profession since 1940, as foreign

correspondent, newspaper editor, and author of 14 published

books.

2. At various times prior to 1980, I was approached

informally by executives of the Church of Scientology and by

personal representatives of L. Ron Hubbard and asked to write a

biography of Mr. Hubbard.

3. In the middle of 1980 (about July, according to my

recollection; it could have been earlier or later), Mr. Hubbard's

personal representative, Laurel Sullivan, represented to me that

the biography project was being authorized by Mr. Hubbard

himself. I have in my possession an earlier memorandum, signed

by Mr. Hubbard, indicating his approval of my doing the project.

Also, Mr. Hubbard's personal attorney, Alan Wertheimer,

indicated that Mr. Hubbard was aware of the project and would

make himself available for interviews and discussions.

4. Before signing a contract to do the biography, I was

given a list of the biographical materials - letters, documents,

writings, etc. - which would be made available to me when and if

I undertook the biography. These materials, I was informed, were

from Mr. Hubbard's personal archives. Both Laurel Sullivan and

Mr. Hubbard's attorney discussed these materials with me, and it

was partly on that basis and representation that I signed a

contract with a Denmark corporation on October 30, 1980, to write

the book. Another important consideration which persuaded me to

sign the contract (which offered drastically reduced royalties to
me) was that a special, premium edition of the work would be

printed to sell for $1,000.00 a copy, the proceeds of which I

would share with Mr. Hubbard. Another reason given me for

accepting a sub-standard contract was that the biographical

materials from Mr. Hubbard's private archives represented a

valuable contribution to the work, without which a widely

marketable biography would not be possible.

5. Mary Sue Hubbard was aware of the project and

corresponded with me about it and about the materials, which I

told her archivist Gerry Armstrong was providing me. I told

Mrs. Hubbard that he was performing an invaluable service. I

asked Mrs. Hubbard for a face-to-face interview, which she

declined with the excuse that security would not permit it. I

did not have any communication with Mrs. Hubbard after 1981

because I was informed that the Scientology organization was

refusing to pass on any communications to her.

6. Either Mrs. Hubbard's statement that L. Ron Hubbard

did not authorize the use of the archives is false, or the

representations to me - all to the contrary - were fraudulent.

[...]

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/l ... 04-18.html
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Karin Pouw sneers that ex-staffers relating their Cruise-Kidman divorce eyewitness stories, to illuminate the Cruise-Holmes divorce, are "excommunicated self-serving apostates." There they go again.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... n_pouw.php

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:51 am

I like this:

To everyone involved in $cientology who is doing public relations (PR) the word "apostate" is NOT a button.

I think $cientology's PR people are trying to make "apostate" have the same value and emotional response as "Nazi." If that's the case they really have their work cut out and it certainly won't pay off this Thursday at 2.

But wait, I have two words to describe the $cientology PR people's effort: "lame" and "fail" or more accurately "failure." Alright three words.
Doris Lessing

mr_bad

Post by mr_bad » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:29 am

Semantically, "apostate" doesn't mesh because an apostate is someone who renounces beliefs. There's a couple of problems here.

$cientologists say, "$cientology is an applied philosophy." This means that $cientology isn't something you "believe" but rather something you do.

The other part that makes this apostate name calling bullshit is the fact that OT Levels are confidential. (more than half of $cientology) ....How are you supposed to believe something that's kept secret?
Here's Jabba the Hub as he writes crappy sci-fi while his wife sits prison...OT Priorities personified!!!

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 am

But Marty isn't renouncing the beliefs. He still believes in body thetans, although he calls the Xenu story a "myth." Ironically, that means body thetans, which came from the Xenu story, are a "myth" too. So, he's a inconsistent believer of most of the "tech." His crime in the eyes of CoS is really that he's disloyal to Miscavige.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 am

Doris Lessing

Judith Anderson

Post by Judith Anderson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm

When I was 14 the doubts started creeping in about my religion which was a very strict Missouri Synod German
Lutheran church - strict, stark and oppressive. After that I also tried and rejected the First Methodist Church, an Evangelical church, Gurdjieff - (too kooky) and Buddhism which was the closest but I couldn't get past reincarnation. So I guess that makes me an apostate in five religious categories according to Scientology's formulaic thinking.

lostinspace

Post by lostinspace » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Apostate pfft, they are trying awfully hard to stretch themselves into a legitimate religion except they spelled it wrong ex-apostate=SPostate in their case.

C0$ attempting to unring the bell to the press RE: SP Tech,Fair Game, Disconnections&ruthless regging for services average people would find crazy, plus for empty buildings or for Super Power donations that never amounted to anything with their lame press releases without a spokesperson is just another huge footbullet now with all the docs and people willing to speak out now. Oh, and lets not forget the IRS agreement of 1993. It would be funny except for the real tragedies that have happened to real people which are heart-rending in many cases.

Yeah C0$, plz plz keep pointing out the unhappy exes who are free to express their real reasons for unhappiness as disgruntled, Thats good PR, right?

Return to “Opinions & Debate”