"Apostate!" - CoS insult is from a lazy, hoodwinked academic

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

Re: "Apostate!" - CoS insult is from a lazy, hoodwinked acad

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm

CoS shrieks apostate! at the ex-scientologists interviewed for Lawrence Wright's Going Clear book, but again it's a limp insult.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:00 am

Getting the kind of gut reaction $cientology wants out of people from calling someone an apostate is about as effective as driving a nail into a brick with a feather.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

dirty hippie

Post by dirty hippie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

You have apostates and heretics.

Heretics would still be drinking Hubbard's koolaid.
Apostates see where all this Scientology abuse is rooted.

Karen#1

Post by Karen#1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 am

Wieber wrote:I like this:

To everyone involved in $cientology who is doing public relations (PR) the word "apostate" is NOT a button.

I think $cientology's PR people are trying to make "apostate" have the same value and emotional response as "Nazi." If that's the case they really have their work cut out and it certainly won't pay off this Thursday at 2.

But wait, I have two words to describe the $cientology PR people's effort: "lame" and "fail" or more accurately "failure." Alright three words.

Wieber !! Your image made me laugh !

Scientology Inc tries to make "apostate" a bad word much to the amusement of the media as it is pretty medieval and mostly Roman Catholic.

In actual fact, from input of some of the media I have dealt with, they mentally translate the world "apostate" to "whistle blower" as soon as the Church uses it. Scientology Inc has used it whenever it wants to deny Truths exposed.

Scientologists who saw abuse, crimes and fraud at the highest levels of the church, and saw that the church cannot and will not correct itself. The correct term for such people is whistle-blowers.

whis·tle-blow·er [noun] a person who informs on another or makes public disclosure of corruption or wrongdoing.

pelagic

Post by pelagic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:58 pm

This thread reminded me I was due for apostate check.

Karin Pouw

Post by Karin Pouw » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:13 am

pelagic wrote:This thread reminded me I was due for apostate check.
Most men don't need routine apostate checks regardless of their age.

ze moo

Post by ze moo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:37 am

Apostasy is a capital crime in may countries. While the prophet Mohammed said 'there is no coercion in religion' the standard punishment for leaving Islam is execution. The use of the word 'apostate' is for the loyal minions who are supposed to stick their fingers in their ears and chant something until the 'apostate' goes away. Can't have the loyal minions exposed to actual thinking discourse with others can you? The christian world labels people in similar ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

pelagic

Post by pelagic » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:31 am

Karin Pouw wrote:
pelagic wrote:This thread reminded me I was due for apostate check.
Most men don't need routine apostate checks regardless of their age.
I'm very concerned about my bitterness levels.

SeeYaBye

Post by SeeYaBye » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 am

Wieber wrote:"Apostate: somebody who renounces a belief or allegiance."
Encarta Concise English Dictionary

OK. I'll own that.

What's $cientology's definition for the word?

They've got some interesting terms they use to insult/denigrate/dehumanize people. Let's list some, shall we?

suppressive person
SP
psych
apostate
wog
natterer
degraded piece of shit
ethics bait
low toned
downstat
raw meat
squirrel
dilettante
theetie weetie
potential trouble source
PTS
degraded being
DB
druggie
dev-t (pronounced dev-tee)
homo sap
humanoid

If you note that I've left something out, please add it.

Dev-t is actually short for 'developed and unnecessary traffic' but in $cientology it is often used this way, "You're dev-t."

(edit in blue)
"Downstat" is one I think of.
How about labeling someone by their ethics condition? "He's in Treason" or "He's in Liability" for instance.
Or perhaps, "He's declared." (ie: declared suppressive)
"The truth is the kindest thing we can give folks in the end." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

mnql1

Post by mnql1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Don Carlo wrote:Inspired by the Apostacon conference this September*, I'm bumping this thread.

* http://www.apostacon.org/
Thank you for pointing out the Apostacon conference. One of the listed speakers is clinical social worker Linda LaScola, author of a fascinating article titled "Preachers who are not believers," about "an almost invisible class of non-believing clergy, ensnared in their ministries by a web of obligations, constraints, comforts, and community."

One apostate story that, at the time, had the effect of a tsunami, was the resignation of Charles Templeton (1915-2001), a Canadian evangelist who, together with Billy Graham, attracted multitudes to stadiums across North America in the 1940s. As Templeton recounted in his memoirs, he privately began questioning his faith and, in the late 1950s, he ended his career in religion and publicly admitted that he had become an agnostic.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:33 am

Now a journalist is killed in Iraq for being an "apostate." Who's using the term apostate, meaning "questioning of religious leaders," rather than "leaving the beliefs of the religion?"

Scientologists

Mormons(1)

ISIS (2)

My comment: Do Scientologists, and Mormons, who do not advocate violence, want to keep using that "apostate" word for "questioning of religious leaders," now that they've seen a human rights advocate sentenced to death and executed for the crime of THAT WORD?

Footnote 1:
Ms Kelly was excommunicated for apostasy. Dictionaries define an apostate as someone who renounces their faith. But in Mormonism questioning church teaching and, "especially encouraging other people to take the same position," says Mike Otterson, will qualify someone as an "apostate"
Push to ordain Mormon women leads to excommunication, Aug. 25, 2014, by Jane Little, BBC News, Washingtonhttp://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28890069

Footnote 2 (Journalist) Al-Nuaimy was detained Sept. 17 after she posted messages on Facebook describing ISIS' bombing and destruction of mosques and shrines in Mosul as "barbaric." She was accused by the self-styled Islamic court of apostasy and sentenced to death by ISIS fighters. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-t ... ts-n211441

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:53 am

I think Scientology and cults like ISIS are trying to attach the same emotional response to the word 'apostate' that the word 'Nazi' conjures.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:37 am

Thesaurus.com has many synonyms for apostate, http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/apostate?s=t

For the executed Iraqi journalist, for the excommunicated Mormon woman, and for Independent Scientologists, I prefer these less emotional, less spiteful synonyms:
rebel
dissenter
separatist
dissident
skeptical
Not on thesaurus.com :
questioning
critical

The anger the religious leaders feel is really at people who are "disobedient" and "disloyal" to THE LEADERS, not necessarily to their belief system. Imagine an ISIS leader ordering death by firing squad for being "disobedient" or "questioning." Sounds both vicious and petulant.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:08 am

I have no problem with being called an 'apostate.' I have a problem with people using the word, 'apostate'
as an excuse to cause harm but if they didn't have the word, 'apostate' to justify their action they would
find another word for that purpose.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:45 pm

True. The ISIS leaders would concoct another accusatory word. They'd never say, "We put the journalist in front of a firing squad because she criticized us and hurt our feelings."

Return to “Opinions & Debate”