Warren Jeffs wants to convince you he's God's prophet..

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Smurf

Warren Jeffs wants to convince you he's God's prophet..

Post by Smurf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:32 am

Occasionally, when I read the LA Times & USA Today, I come across small ads in the classifieds where a wingnut is preaching about Jesus and the need to repent.. I was surprise to read a quarter-page ad in the front section of both newspapers today.. A quarter-page ad in the LA Times costs $17,500. I presume it costs alot more for USA Today. And these ads are running in all the major newspapers.

What's more disturbing than the FLDS cult running a very expensive marketing campaign, is that federal prison officials are allowing Jeffs to run his cult from behind bars.

JESUS CHRIST, SON AHMAN

I, Your Lord Jesus Christ, Even Son Ahman, Speak to All Nations on Earth, My Own Revealing of My Soon Coming. Let All Hear My Will:

Revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ Given to President Warren S. Jeffs - Palestine, Texas - Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I, Vaughn E. Taylor, have been appointed by the Lord to receive inquiries. Please call (702) 686-1180.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53342 ... e.html.csp

And this... "Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs is making what former members of his church call a "last ditch" effort to raise money as he serves time in prison. An advertisement appeared in Friday's Review-Journal which gives southern Nevadans the opportunity to buy church proclamations ranging in price from $3 to $10."

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/16568173/ ... -for-jeffs

Smurf

Re: Warren Jeffs wants to convince you he's God's prophet..

Post by Smurf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:06 am

Sam Brower is a PI that spent nearly 10 years investigating Warren Jeffs, the FLDS and the fear-based brainwashing that occurs in the cult. He's written a book about it. http://www.sfbg.com/pixel_vision/2011/1 ... phets-prey

http://www.amazon.com/Prophets-Prey-Sev ... 160819275X

He has some interesting photos on his Facebook that undercuts the sadness that is everyday life in the FLDS..

"This is the flip side of the last photo. I was in Maxwell Park taking photos of the cliffs at dusk. I took the camera from my eye and suddenly these two little girls popped out from behind the trees. They apparently decided to catch the evidence of an intruder in their town, and were walking straight towards me taking furiously taking pictures. It is almost comical, because they think that everyone shares their fear of camera's. I am sure that in these little girls eyes, they were courageously pulling out their camera phone like a gun to chase the devil out of town."

"This is called the Walls. It gives some perspective to the wall that Warren built around his newest compound in Short Creek. It surrounds the new building that has been empty for a year now. Last January, Warren predicted the prison walls would crumble and he would be freed, so it was imperative that the building be done by the first of the year, 2011.

Of course Warren is still in prison but the mansion stands empty as a blaring illustration of his madness, if his people would only pull their heads out of the sand (or some other dark orifice) long enough to take a look around. The walls on the estimated 11 million dollar building (labor was donated so that cost is wholesale material costs), are two feet thick, and insulated both interior and exterior. All doors are 2.25" thick and weigh about 150#, with thresholds on the interior doors as well, so that all the walls in the entire building are completely soundproof. Very handy when you don't want people eves dropping on your conversations with Deity."

"The FLDS children's cemetary. It is just downright sad. A little care for the grounds would go a long way, but apparently the children appear to be categorized in death in the same manner they were in life."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002697750115

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:46 pm

I have practically zero knowledge of Mormonism, so I do not know what the phrase “God’s prophet” means to its followers. But for other Christian denominations this phrase is a reference to someone who is on a par with Moses, Abraham, Elijah, etc.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 pm

HE is trying to convince himself that he is...and those who are working for him are trying to convince themselves that they havent wasted their lives, committed crimes, and destroyed families out of loyalty to a false prophet

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Warren Jeffs is just another one.

Hey, everyone, read chapter five of Captive Hearts Captive Minds for a personality profile of Warren Jeffs and all those other douche bags. (Apologies for disparaging douche bags.)
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:07 pm

It demonstrates the imperfect world that we live in. If you were to go to Utah and talk about horrific & abusive cults, where destructive brainwashing is the norm, the talk would be less about Scientology (though the cult has their claws there), but more about the FLDS.

Like those that left corporate Scientology to join Independent Scientology, many former FLDS under Warren Jeffs have fled, only to join other polygamist communities in the U.S. & Canada, where there is a sitting "prophet" that rules over people.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Smurf wrote:It demonstrates the imperfect world that we live in. If you were to go to Utah and talk about horrific & abusive cults, where destructive brainwashing is the norm, the talk would be less about Scientology (though the cult has their claws there), but more about the FLDS.

Like those that left corporate Scientology to join Independent Scientology, many former FLDS under Warren Jeffs have fled, only to join other polygamist communities in the U.S. & Canada, where there is a sitting "prophet" that rules over people.
Running away from abuse but taking it with you when you go really isn't very effective.
Doris Lessing

thorn

Post by thorn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:50 am

To understand more about Mormonism and FLDS here's a great book: Under the "Banner of Heaven" by John Krakauer. Here's the wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Banner_of_Heaven
This book starts with a murder committed by several brothers who were fundamentalist Mormons and goes on to detail the beginnings of Mormonism with a lot of historical and biographical information about the founder Joseph Smith.

Smith, at a young age believed that he could use "Peep Stones" to see where hidden treasure was buried. He was an imposing personality with enormous charisma. The story goes that he had a vision or visitation from an angel named Moroni who showed him where to dig up a collection of gold plates (The Plates of Nephi) ---

From wikipedia....
"The Book of Mormon, a sacred text of the Latter Day Saint movement that adherents believe contains writings of ancient prophets who lived on the American continent from approximately 2600 BC to AD 421.[1][2] It was first published in March 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr. as The Book of Mormon:

According to Smith's account... the Book of Mormon was originally written in otherwise unknown characters referred to as "reformed Egyptian" engraved on golden plates. Smith claimed that the last prophet to contribute to the book, a man named Moroni, buried it in a hill in present-day New York and then returned to earth in 1827 as an angel,[4] revealing the location of the book to Smith and instructing him to translate and disseminate it as evidence of the restoration of Christ's true church in the latter days."

OK, so my takeaway from all this is that like Smith, Hubbard was a charismatic figure who made up a complex story that became a religion. Smith had an ancient lost tribe of Israel in America... and an angel named Moroni communicating with him. Hubbard came up with the whole R-6, Xenu story with himself as a messiah to lead mankind to freedom. And Hubbard had (in his Affirmations) references to an angel or spiritual being, "The Emperess" his red headed spiritual guardian.

Both Hubbard and Smith had enormous charisma that they used to persuade people to join them. Smith would receive messages from God making it OK to do things that people normally wouldn't agree to, like Polygamy. Smith was a real ladie's man who carried on multiple affairs while married. Eventually he received word from God that it was natural and God's will that men have multiple wives. The wives didn't like this but hey, it came from above.

Hubbard for his part had affairs (reference the "Affirmations" and books such as "Piece of Blue Sky" by John Atak and "Messiah or Madman?" by Bent Corydon) and married his 3rd wife while he was still married to his 2nd wife.

Both Smith and Hubbard started religions that thrived and grew, greatly assisted by their magnetic personalities. Mormonism continued to grow and thrive after Smith's death. Scientology, not so much although they've amassed a fortune from parishioners with all their fundraising. Actual membership has been declining steeply in the last few years.

"Under the Banner of Heaven" is a cautionery tale of what happens when "true believers" act on their fanaticism.

I think ex-Scientologist would find this book very interesting.

--- Peter M.

thorn

Post by thorn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:52 am

To understand more about Mormonism and FLDS here's a great book: Under the "Banner of Heaven" by John Krakauer. Here's the wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Banner_of_Heaven
This book starts with a murder committed by several brothers who were fundamentalist Mormons and goes on to detail the beginnings of Mormonism with a lot of historical and biographical information about the founder Joseph Smith.

Smith, at a young age believed that he could use "Peep Stones" to see where hidden treasure was buried. He was an imposing personality with enormous charisma. The story goes that he had a vision or visitation from an angel named Moroni who showed him where to dig up a collection of gold plates (The Plates of Nephi) ---

From wikipedia....
"The Book of Mormon, a sacred text of the Latter Day Saint movement that adherents believe contains writings of ancient prophets who lived on the American continent from approximately 2600 BC to AD 421.[1][2] It was first published in March 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr. as The Book of Mormon:

According to Smith's account... the Book of Mormon was originally written in otherwise unknown characters referred to as "reformed Egyptian" engraved on golden plates. Smith claimed that the last prophet to contribute to the book, a man named Moroni, buried it in a hill in present-day New York and then returned to earth in 1827 as an angel,[4] revealing the location of the book to Smith and instructing him to translate and disseminate it as evidence of the restoration of Christ's true church in the latter days."

OK, so my takeaway from all this is that like Smith, Hubbard was a charismatic figure who made up a complex story that became a religion. Smith had an ancient lost tribe of Israel in America... and an angel named Moroni communicating with him. Hubbard came up with the whole R-6, Xenu story with himself as a messiah to lead mankind to freedom. And Hubbard had (in his Affirmations) references to an angel or spiritual being, "The Emperess" his red headed spiritual guardian.

Both Hubbard and Smith had enormous charisma that they used to persuade people to join them. Smith would receive messages from God making it OK to do things that people normally wouldn't agree to, like Polygamy. Smith was a real ladie's man who carried on multiple affairs while married. Eventually he received word from God that it was natural and God's will that men have multiple wives. The wives didn't like this but hey, it came from above.

Hubbard for his part had affairs (reference the "Affirmations" and books such as "Piece of Blue Sky" by John Atak and "Messiah or Madman?" by Bent Corydon) and married his 3rd wife while he was still married to his 2nd wife.

Both Smith and Hubbard started religions that thrived and grew, greatly assisted by their magnetic personalities. Mormonism continued to grow and thrive after Smith's death. Scientology, not so much although they've amassed a fortune from parishioners with all their fundraising. Actual membership has been declining steeply in the last few years.

"Under the Banner of Heaven" is a cautionary tale of what happens when "true believers" act on their fanaticism.

I think ex-Scientologist would find this book very interesting.

--- Peter M.

bubbler

Post by bubbler » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Very very strange. This "Ahman" ad ran in more newspapers than is currently being reported. Seems like they laid out a lot of money. And they are expecting ... what exactly?
Wonder if the Church realized any returns on their recent spate of national advertising?
Similarities?

:huh:

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 pm

bubbler wrote:Very very strange. This "Ahman" ad ran in more newspapers than is currently being reported. Seems like they laid out a lot of money. And they are expecting ... what exactly?
Jeff's most ardent followers are convinced he's the prophet. In 2007, during a telephone conversation between Warren and his brother, Nephi, and 3 days before he attempted suicide, Warren Jeffs proclaimed at 0:51 in the video.. "I have been a liar. The truth is not in me. I am not the prophet, and I never was the prophet."

At 1:24, his brother Nephi interrupts, "You are the prophet."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLxkCN1Obzw

Regardless whatever epiphany Warren Jeffs comes to that he is a fraud, his hardcore followers will never allow this to be heard by his followers. In fact, his followers in Utah & Arizona have been alerted about this tape, and told that it was edited by the ungodly & evil prison officials to make Jeffs look bad. Many, if not most of his followers, who have not seen the tape, believe what they've been told.

I don't think the expensive newspaper ads were Warren Jeff's idea. He always blew off the media as evil and had to be avoided at all costs. It was done by his most ardent followers that believe the world is going to come to an end if WJ is not released from prison, and believed that people outside the cult could be convinced that WJ was the prophet.

Note that none of the ads invite you to write to Jeffs in the Texas prison he's incarcerated in. The contact person is one of his followers in Hillsdale, UT.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Prophet's Prey, a documentary directed by Amy Berg, is coming to some theaters. It exposes Warren Jeffs' cult Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints. A Salon.com article* mentioned widespread use of child labor, child sexual abuse, a spaghetti tangle of corporations, all the $$ funneling upward to Warren Jeffs' siblings, accusations of illegality, and government prosecutors timid about fighting a "religion."

SOUNDS FAMILIAR!

The good news is that activists (like Warren Jeffs' sole legal wife), journalists, and documentarians are getting the news out. Sounds like the CoS-unmasking community! Let's hope this inspires crackdowns on other abusive "religions" like CoS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/prophets-pr ... mist-cult/

* http://www.salon.com/2015/09/19/america ... zed_crime/ (sorry, I mis-remembered it as a NY Times article)

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:54 am

Smurf wrote:Like those that left corporate Scientology to join Independent Scientology, many former FLDS under Warren Jeffs have fled, only to join other polygamist communities in the U.S. & Canada, where there is a sitting "prophet" that rules over people.
Hideous! Recently during flooding out west some of his followers were caught in raging waters and had to be rescued.

I recognized the women right away by their long hair and old style dress. Then the news announcer said that they were part of Warren's FLDS gang. The women don't cut their hair so they can wash Jesus's feet with it during the second coming. Uh yeah.

If they are God's chosen and he is an amazing prophet/profit then how could this happen to them?

FOX 13 NEWS SALT LAKE CITYhttp://fox13now.com/2015/09/17/flds-fam ... p-support/

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:49 am

Uhm, I think the way it works if Jesus comes back is he washes your feet. So feel free to get your hair styled.

Are Bible stories to be data stripped in Scientology?
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:09 am

Ugh, a cult worse than Scientology. Hope it goes down.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Return to “Opinions & Debate”