Xemnu of the Magic Planet

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:37 am

I have no trouble getting from here to the main Scientology website.

BTW. Blocking access from critic sites would be very stupid and I bet they have realized that.
Many of the people who reads the critic sites are people seeking information about Scientology for all sorts of reasons. The church will very much want them to arrive at their site.

Sarah

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:04 am

Aldous Huxley might have also influenced Hubbard to take drugs and alcohol while trying to dream up the next space-opera mythology for OT III. The late-1960's quest-for-spiritual-truth-through-drugs was given considerable prestige by the rediscovery of Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception first printed in 1954. Harvard Professor and drug enthusiast Timothy Leary met Huxley in the 1960's, when Huxley was far more famous, especially for writing the brilliant "Brave New World." While Leary's fame peaked in 1963 when expelled form Harvard, Huxley's 1960's peak of fame came when Jim Morrison named his rock group The Doors after Huxley's Doors of Perception in 1965. I remember Morrison saying that's where the name came from, even though at the time I was a teenager, didn't do drugs, and thought The Doors of Perception must be about spirituality.

Those of you born after the mid-1970's have trouble imagining the wide-eyed embrace of LSD, mescaline, and peyote to "expand your mind."(none of which I ever tried).

Carlos Castaneda was an interesting parallel to Hubbard. He could not have influenced the late-1967 OT III, since Castaneda's first book The Teachings of Don Juan came out in 1968. Yet both Castaneda and Hubbard
(1) used drugs for inspiration, copying those who promised new insights through drug use
(2) promised shamanistic powers that no readers ever attained.
(3) pretended their writings were real - remember how angry Castaneda fans were to find out Don Juan was fictional?
(4) developed a cult-like following - people went looking for Don Juan in the desert!
(5) in the end, contributed little to human understanding.

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:04 am

Quick! We cartoon super-heroes must file a copyright lawsuit against the earthling
L. Ron Hubbard who has stolen our story and made it into a money-making religion!

What?

LRH died?

Gadzooks! Then we must sue this David Miscavige person who is the new Exalted Cheesewheel of Scientology!

This DM is said to live over the rainbow surrounded by handsome young male assistants with whom he is rumored to spend some considerable time with behind closed doors at Gold.

To blend in at Gold, we will disguise ourselves as superheroes who can relate to DM's rumored secret life of manlove:

(Some of the PI's who work for OSA do get drunk and blab rumors to people who blab rumors around Hollywood. These PI's are only in it for the money and are not Scientologists. A guy can hear a lot when he sits in the right bars in Hollywood and listens....)

funkmr

Post by funkmr » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:21 am

*bump*

This is VERY interesting, as it predates the OT III materials. Most on the board have probably not seen this thread.
www.lisamcpherson.org

R.I.P. Lisa, we will never forget you or stop speaking up for you.

PTS

Post by PTS » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:41 pm

[

http://monsterblog.oneroom.org/journey_ ... ry_66.html

I just posted on the Monsterblog above. Lets all do it and we can get the word out to some more people.

butwehave11

Post by butwehave11 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:56 pm

It's DM and Tom Cruise.
I fart in your general direction!

StormBringer

Post by StormBringer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:28 pm

funkmr,
digging around in the archives?
Don Carlo did an incredible job with this thread and the information that it contains.
Rawl any comments on this thead??

funkmr

Post by funkmr » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:23 am

*bump*

Geez, I'm such a clutz.

Yes, I was checking out every thread with 100+ replies. A list of the gems are as follows. At least they are in my opinion.

A press pack--let's do it
Xemnu of the Magic Planet
Slatkin $600 Million Scandal
One More speaks out
Moral Terrorism
Laurie Hamilton Speaks the Truth
Tone Scale-the bait
The Secret Trementia, New Mexico, Scientology Symbols
Just how MANY people's lives are the Co$ responsible for utterly destroying? Let's find out.
Contest: Submit Your Visions of the Future of Scientology
Pay minimum wage or else, Scientology!
Arnie Lerma's neighbor replies to an RFW Mailing
What makes the CO$ so "feared"?
Will Lee Anne DeVette be Declared?
Radio Show Interview
Asimov speaks against "irrationalities."
How To Respond To A Frightened Person Asking For Help Here
Scientology On South Park
Most Common Misconceptions -----from both sides
www.lisamcpherson.org

R.I.P. Lisa, we will never forget you or stop speaking up for you.

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:26 pm

Sooooo....Don carlo, OT3 is from a captain marvel comic book?

that actually would be in character for Hubturd.
Do you THINK scientology works?
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:48 pm

Yeah, the Xenu story wasn't even his own imagination or evil-genius. It was just regurgitating old comics and sci-fi plots, and the headlines of the daily paper.

StormBringer

Post by StormBringer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:57 pm

Thanks for bringing this back up Don.
I tried to link to it earlier but had a problem with windows.

Anyone who has not seen this it makes for an interesting read.

Atheist

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:13 pm

A disturbing new article about Carlos Castenada, in Salon.com at http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007 ... index.html , makes my July 13, 2005 post above even more apt. It led me to start a new thread, Carlos Castenada copied Hubbard, founded a personality cult, at viewtopic.php?t=22709

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm

In the spirit of thread necromancy; here is a good one.

The goons at something awful are discussing this. It seems someone discovered the story of Xenu that struck a bell with him.
He knows just about everything there is to know about comic books and he linked me to this:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/xemnuthetitan.htm

Marvel comics created a character in the 60's called Xemnu! Right around the time LRH wrote OTIII.

I found a thread on Xenu.net's forums where there's a very detailed discussion about this. Xenu.net forums have sucked me in more than once.

viewtopic...nu+magic+planet

Haha that's awesome, there is even one called Zemu! http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/xemu.htm Coincidentally it looks like he is wearing a guy fawkes mask.
Is this the true source of OTIII? Hubbard plagiarized almost everything else he wrote.

Should Marvel Comics sue scientology for copyright violation?

Read this link. It sure sounds like OTIII to me!

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/xemnuthetitan.htm
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:08 pm

In 2003 Don Carlo had the following great idea. I think it would be totally apropos for the cult of scientology to get sued for copyright violation by Marvel comics right about now, it will make a triple header grand slam when combined with the recent lawsuits filed on them for copyright infringement by Peter Letterese for stealing his Les Dane "Big League Sales" and by Crimson Tide for stealing their song.

It will be hilarious to splash the fact all over the media that Hubbards whole religion was stolen and plagiarized fron a comic book.

The lawsuit happy cult of the almighty copyright is based on copyright theft.

Poetic justice.
Don_Carlo wrote:Someone should write Marvel Comics and tell them CoS has made millions off Xemnu.

Marvel Licensing Department
Marvel Enterprises, Inc.
10 East 40th Street
New York, NY 10016.

Isn't it funny that Hubbard alternated between calling his villain Xenu and Xemu? Maybe he couldn't quite remember how to spell it!

L.R. Hubbard contributed to Amazing Stories and Astounding. In fact, Dianetics first turns up in Astounding 195 # 4. An avid reader looking for ideas, he certainly would have read other comics (even Hubbard could afford the price of a comic book!) including Marvel Science Fiction.

Here Hubbard defends the pulps:
http://literary.lronhubbard.org/page28.htm

There's certainly enough direct and indirect evidence that LRH borrowed the Xenu idea.
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Return to “Opinions & Debate”