Xemnu of the Magic Planet

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
jarboy98
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jarboy98 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:54 am

I had pet wild squirrels back in New England when I was a kid, 1940s, they'd come right up to my door and eat out of my hand. They were aloof, charming, determined and always hungry. I couldn't help but like them. peace...jb

kipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by kipper » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:31 pm

Most of the squirrels in my neighborhood are like the ones that Jarboy describe. In fact, they even have the guilt trip down to a fine art if they see you and you don't offer them a peanut (grumble, grumble .. can't even go to the mailbox for the mail without a handful of peanuts). The neighbor across the street even built a small condo for his squirrel and he put an airduct which connects to the house so that his squirrel could have air conditioning and heat. :)

Ball of Fluff

Post by Ball of Fluff » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:27 pm

When we moved into the house we have now, there were some squirrels around who were very bold! One of them came up, asking for food, we thought, so we went in to get something that we thought he'd like. The squirrel, on seeing what we were doing, tried to dash into the house as if to say "Thanks, but I know the way. I'll get it myself."

I think the people who had the house before us were feeding them.

Quite a few in my neighborhood. Cute little guys.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:08 pm

You think squirrels are cute huh?

Scary Squirrels on Campus

kipper

Post by kipper » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:41 am

awww Squirrel, ya know you're cute.. now behave. :)

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:01 am

Good point Galileo! :)

If ya shave the fluffy, fuzzy, and fun tails off of squirrels, what remains is .... a large rat-like rodent...willing to take your nuts and store them long term for future nurshiment during colder times. (read between the lines)

The Q remains, why didn't Hubbard use a different "cute" animal to express his DEEP paranoid concerns..... like a rabbit, a fawn, a doe, a canary (who sings,) a hamster, or domestic pets like dogs and cats?

Puzzling eh? 8)

tp

ltricha

Post by ltricha » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:26 am

Squirrelly was a slang term for wierd or off beat in the 50's.
I think that is where he got the term from? you?
Tech is the carrot.
Admin is the cart.
and ethics is the whip.
Guess who the horses are...

songbird

Post by songbird » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:50 am

Fluffy,
Yes, it would seem duplicitous when people tell you that their objection is to the organized church - not the philosophy - and you later learn it was the philosophy all along. I've noticed that people can be very conflicted about where CoS leaves off and Scn philosophy begins. Perhaps what appeared to be deceit was more a reflection of their own mixed feelings?

For me, it's easy. I make no distinction between CoS and Scientology - I see it as one subject.

Yes, you've been on the receiving end of some pretty rotten personal attacks here - I don't know about elsewhere, as I mostly keep to this MB. If you'll recall, the last time this happened I and others stood up for you - and would certainly do so again.

It's a dilemma for me. I take a "live and let live" approach to most things. Even though I think that you've been manipulated and that your ability to analyze clearly vis-a-vis Scientology has been skewed by Scn tech itself, is it really my business to challenge your beliefs?

IMO those of us who read and post here regularly, including me and including you, do so in part to be challenged. "The unexamined life is not worth living." ... etc. So I suppose I'll keep making observations and asking questions. I don't intend anything ever as personal attack toward you or anyone, and if you interpret any of my posts as such I hope & trust you'll let me know.

Peace (to borrow a line from JB),
Mary Ann

songbird

Post by songbird » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:04 pm

That said, Fluffy, I couldn't help but notice that the thread suddenly shifted from the points that BG and I had raised to your treatment/mistreatment here and on other MBs (and thence to a jolly exploration of squirreldom). When Don Carlo takes the trouble to post well researched, thoughtful responses to your comments, I'd really like to see you answer him. I want to know what you think.

Ball of Fluff

Post by Ball of Fluff » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:33 am

Hmm. It looked like a very nice post albeit short. I took it as just an acknowledgement of sorts and didn't, at the time, feel it needed a reply.

However, I appreciate what you said, Don Carlo.

(am I missing a post somewhere?)

ltricha

Post by ltricha » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:08 pm

As usual, yes Fluffy you are.

Songbird,
Do you ever wonder why so many threads turn out to be, get highjacked into a pity party for Fluffy? Also if you review past threads you may notice that this derailment of a thread starts at almost the exact time anyone questions Fluffy.
Tech is the carrot.
Admin is the cart.
and ethics is the whip.
Guess who the horses are...

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:59 pm

Fluffy, I'll repeat my analogy of this message board being a volleyball game. If each side just handed the ball to the other side over the net, nobody would want to watch. If OCMB is just a mutual admiration society where each person's reality is equal, nobody would want to read the posts. It IS disappointing, Fluffygirl, when you defend a part of Scientology, thus "serving" the ball over the net, only when I slam it back, you watch it hit the ground next to you and sniff about not being a part of CoS, that you are Freezone/indie and we are bad and wrong to "have a problem with that."

If you want a message board where nobody "has a problem" with Freezone, you should join with Terril and Treelooney and have a website where the three of you talk about your wins and how bad CoS management is. Maybe you'll open the board to outsiders, but maybe you'll decide to delete their posts if they have "thought crimes" - oops, "have a problem" with Freezone.

YOu don't have a "get out of arguments free" card just because you have beliefs, wins, or feelings about Freezone. You have lost many opportunities to make your case, by running away from fairly simple arguments. Sure, it annoys you that we keep asking for proof, and you have no proof. Sure it annoys you that Hubbard said stupid and immoral things on tape and in books. But that's Scientology's fault. We're just the little kid who says the emperor has no clothes.

I compare Freezone to methadone. Better than heroin because: it doesn't involve stealing money for heroin, you're not sharing bad needles, and you are more functional. But methadone has the dark side that you are now fully addicted to a daily methadone dose. I'm trying to reach the many, many Scientologists still INSIDE CoS who think CoS management is bad but the tech is their only hope for eternity, so they CAN'T leave. If they see that the good things (like not interrupting) in the tech didn't even come from Hubbard, and the rest of the tech is useless/controlling, maybe they'll leave.

Perhaps you only use Freezone "when you need it" or on some regular schedule, so you don't "feel" addicted. But Freezone does appear to compel you to defend it (one little post at a time, and then you run and/or cry). Why is it the answer for you? Why do you keep embarassing yourself with half-hearted defenses? I said I found your posts useful - I should have added that they were easy to argue against.

It's still unclear where you think the "good" tech leaves off and the "bad" management starts. Am I supposed to read your mind and think:
if I critize David Miscavige, Fluffy won't be offended,
but
if I criticize training routines, Fluffy diagnoses that I "have a problem"?

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:10 pm

You asked Songbird if you missed a post. She already told you you missed the 5:42 post above. Let's go over what you said.

You said
I've often felt the Xenu story could be an allegory of some sort.

Doesn't matter much to me, however. It's just not something to worry about.

To which I wrote the 5:42 long post about the centrality of the Xenu doctrine.

Then you said, QUOTE:

Staff don't work on OTIII stuff. It's audited SOLO.

I have no idols and, in fact, often criticize Hubbard.

There. That clears all that up.

But I didn't say staff worked on OTIII stuff. I said Lisa McPherson claimed to be an OT.

Also, you criticizing Hubbard has NOTHING to do with the centrality of the Xenu story. Nothing that you said clears "all that up."

Since you're an "indie" maybe you should list the things you DO believe in; it's definitely not standard tech.

Ball of Fluff

Post by Ball of Fluff » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:22 pm

I found the post that I'd missed before and *now* know what was referred to by Songbird. I didn't answer it before as I'd completely missed it.

I've not said that Don Carlo has a problem nor have I said that I need to be on forums where people like Scn or whatever. In fact, I generally indicate something to the contrary.

My history shows otherwise, obviously, as does my present participation in certain forums and which forums I select. And, of course, this is widely known.

I'm not offended by posts about Scn, Hubbard, etc, regardless of what the opinions may be. One can see that by my posts.

I do not have a stance that it's ok for others to criticize DM but not the tech. I've indicated this quite a few times before.

Ball of Fluff

Post by Ball of Fluff » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:29 pm

I've stated, in the past, on this forum, exactly what I believe in and what I don't. I'm not interested in doing it again. Feel free to do a search if you'd like to see it.

As far as being frustrated with my statements, stance, etc goes- this is a discussion board, we're all adults, there's no reason to worry about it.

As far as being upset if I don't answer a post (that I missed), well, I don't always get answers to my posts, either, but I don't get upset about it. It's no big deal if someone misses something I ask them or if they saw it but didn't want to answer it.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”