Paul Staffer resigns from Scientology

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Radio Paul

Paul Staffer resigns from Scientology

Post by Radio Paul » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:46 am

My name is Paul Staffer of Toronto, Canada.   I have been a Scientologist for 32 years.  I am Flag trained Level One auditor and word clearer.   I have also done the PTS/SP course.
I am writing you here today to announce that I am declaring my resignation from the corporate church of Scientology and joining the group of independent Scientologists.
I was local Toronto church staff in the evenings and weekends (Foundation Org) from 2001–2004; I held the post of Tech Sec.  In the 1980’s I was also a word clearer on day org for a short time.I am in complete disagreement with the way that the church is currently being managed and all the extreme fund raising going on.  I would like to say though that there is several good hard-working staff in the church and I had the privilege to work with many good people in the Toronto Foundation Church.

My write-up regarding my leaving the Church of Scientology but not Scientology
1)
A)    I believe there is an extreme amount of fund raising going on in the church of Scientology which I disagree with.
i)                   There are donations required for org renovations which I think should come out of the money the church makes for its services.  The idea of “straight up and vertical” violates LRH’s concept of gradients.  The reference Ideal Org says nothing of straight up and vertical in fact says “Such an ideal org would be built by taking what one has and step by step building and smoothing;  grooving in and handling each of its functions, with each of its divisions doing more and more of its full job better and better.”   I believe the whole idea of the ideal org fund raising campaign is off policy and should be cancelled.
ii)                 The IAS (International Association of Scientologists) fund-raising is also extreme.  People maybe should be paying for an annual membership or a life time membership only, and it should be a low cost.  All these extra statuses of Patron etc. are unnecessary.  Standard Scientology financial policy allows for money to be set-a-side for legal defence and legal issues.  There is no reason to make an extra organization to get this money from people.  As I said all these extra payments for special statuses is just unnecessary.
iii)               People are also asked to donate for extra copies of the Basics.  There was very heavy sales tactics used for selling these books.   I myself was called constantly for several months by numerous people from several different churches of Scientology.
There is a constant focus on making money, either for renovations, for IAS campaigns or for books.  You are called at home or at work every few days and by several different people.  I feel this is totally unethical and violates the purpose of the Church.

B)    I have been on the web doing some research ( YES, I believe as a Scientologist you should have the right to look at data on the net, in newspapers etc.; you should not be stopped from doing this) and have seen several senior executives have left the church of Scientology as well as OT 7’s and 8’s.  Looking at the number of highly trained people (Class 6’s, 8’s and 12’s) and people of past high position in the church I can’t believe that they are all bad as the church says.  There must be something wrong within the church for such an exodus.  There also have been a lot of abuses stated and corroborated.  All of which cannot be denied.  So again there must be something wrong within the Church.

C)    My personal experience is that you have to work long hours in the church and also donate thousands and you do not get fair exchange back.  I feel that the Church of Scientology is out exchange.

D)               I have also noticed Scientologists high on the bridge that are not doing as well as they should. This I never understood as they are OT 5, on OT 7 or completed OT 8 and still only moderately doing well or some not doing well at all.  This was a big red flag to me and one of the things that started me questioning.  There has been for years constant “updates” that are supposed to handle things; handling of clears that are “not clear”, ideal org, CF project etc.  Over the past 32 years not much has changed with regard to the size of Scientology.  All these “updates” were supposed to handle things but the church is still small and struggling and having legal and PR trouble in several countries.  Also golden age of knowledge as an “update” seems unusual.  I don’t believe that LRH’s qual was so out that he would leave books with errors that he wrote in the 1950’s.
I believe there is suppression within the church and I feel that suppression comes from the very top as that is where the Ideal org program, IAS and Golden Age of Knowledge started.

2)        The Church of Scientology has been a similar size for all the years I have been in it.  It cannot pay its staff any reasonable amount of money.  It has quite bad PR in the public.  Upon doing some research I have found that the church is not as big as it says it is.

3)        Based on the above I believe that the Church of Scientology needs to be reformed or just shut-down and a new Scientology organization started in its place.  In either case the IAS money for all the special statuses and Ideal org money should be refunded to all the people it was gotten from.
It is my belief that standard Scientology is out here in the independent field, that the Church of Scientology is a corruption of what was intended.  In actuality the Church of Scientology is a splinter group that has broke off from real Scientology and it is the squirrel group.

4)        My intentions are to apply Scientology to myself standardly.  To align myself with other people that do the same.  The people of the Independent Scientology field apply standard scientology to themselves and others.  They also do not require massive amounts of funds for membership and big buildings.

5)        Independent Scientologist have power of choice, this is a big thing for me.  There are several highly trained auditors in this field.  There is attention put on getting people audited and having the truth known about Scientology.  It seems that a lot of the up-stats in Scientology are now in the independent field.

6)        I join the group of Independent Scientologists as they are the ones that apply standard Scientology and progress towards a better life.  I announce this to both sides by announcing it on Mark Rathbun’s web-site informing all independents and also sending my resignation to the Church of Scientology Toronto Foundation to announce it to the Church of Scientology with a copy to CLO Canada and the FSO.

Following is the letter of resignation I have sent the Church of Scientology.
Church of Scientology
Attn: HAS TorF
February 20,  2012
CC: HAS Flag Service Organization
CC: Senior HAS Canada
Dear HAS Toronto Foundation,
I hereby resign as member of the Church of Scientology.
It is my view that the international management of the Church of Scientology has corrupted the purpose of the Church and concentrates heavily on gaining more and more money; I therefore sever all ties with it.
Please remove my name, address and phone number from your mailing lists and all your phone lists.
Do not contact me in an effort to change my point of view.
Sincerely,
Paul Staffer
Last edited by Radio Paul on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radio Paul

Re: Paul Staffer resigns from Scientology

Post by Radio Paul » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:55 am

This resignation is epic on so many levels. First the cult has pressured him to have Marty remove it from the net. This means it was effective and clearly on topic. It also show a cult that is dying and confirms yet again from another member the following.
1. Scientology is not growing.
2. Their members are being bleed dry.
3. The Tech does not work.
4. Its leaders are corrupt.
5 The members are looking on the net despite being told not too.
6. THESE PEOPLE SEE THE ABUSES AND ARE TIRED OF THEM

This will not be the last letter nor the cults attempt to suppress it.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:46 am

One more - not out but away. Still he merits this.

:dancing7up:
Woot!

If Paul Staffer reads this thread, I have four books to recommend to him.
Look to the bottom of the page. Gather your courage and read them.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:02 am

Radio Paul wrote:This resignation is epic on so many levels. First the cult has pressured him to have Marty remove it from the net. This means it was effective and clearly on topic.
It also shows disconnection is at work. Paul's estranged wife, Sandra, and their 3 children (two, of adult age) live in Los Angeles.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Sandra- ... 1110763394

https://www.facebook.com/sstaffer

https://www.facebook.com/justin.staffer

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:26 am

Maybe the family has joined him, and have been too busy to update Facebook. I'd leave them alone for awhile, so CoS can't accuse Paul of making critics drag them into the public eye.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:43 am

Don Carlo wrote:Maybe the family has joined him, and have been too busy to update Facebook. I'd leave them alone for awhile, so CoS can't accuse Paul of making critics drag them into the public eye.
Are you kidding me?? ..."so CoS can't accuse Paul of making critics.." OSA will manufacture anything they need to punish Paul for his "resignation" from the cult. Nothing that is posted on FB will change that.

bparker230

Post by bparker230 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Paul is an "SP" now, so the CO$ will automatically acuse him of anything, true or not. So there's really no such thing as "so CO$ can't accuse..."

Radio Paul

Post by Radio Paul » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:21 pm

bparker230 wrote:Paul is an "SP" now, so the CO$ will automatically acuse him of anything, true or not. So there's really no such thing as "so CO$ can't accuse..."
No doubt but one can get the SP label removed if one pays lots of money and is willing to become a slave. I have little to no doubt his family is being used against him. There is one saving grace. He did say (DON'T CONTACT ME) in his letter to Scientology. When he claims later on that he was harassed in to signing a gag order for 50,000.00 like Debbie Cook did this should come in useful for his lawyer. It is clear that they did contact him and pressured him IE what ever he is doing is being done under duress.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Radio Paul wrote: I have little to no doubt his family is being used against him. There is one saving grace. He did say (DON'T CONTACT ME) in his letter to Scientology. When he claims later on that he was harassed in to signing a gag order for 50,000.00 like Debbie Cook did this should come in useful for his lawyer. It is clear that they did contact him and pressured him IE what ever he is doing is being done under duress.
The cult doesn't pay out settlements with gag agreement to everyone that quits the cult. Paul was a longtime public. He could not testify to the breadth of criminality that Debbie, as a long time exec, could. They would not buy Paul's silence. They'd simply declare him and order his Scilon family to disconnect from him.

The cult has developed a new weapon, thanks to Marty, in dealing with disaffected Scilons. They are insinuating that there's a huge divide between being disaffected and quitting the church versus quitting the church & joining forces with Marty. I presume OSA is being covertly deceptive in telling the disaffected that if they go away quietly, the full force of cult retribution (harassment, disconnection, etc.) would not take place; however, if they join forces with Marty "the terrorist", they would be treated no differently than they treat Marty.

It's like 1940s Germans expressing discontent for Hitler. If they're quiet in their dissent, the consequences are alot less severe, than if they joined the partisans determined to bring down Hitler; then, they deserve to be caught, tortured & executed.

El Jefe'

Post by El Jefe' » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:14 pm

or maybe he decided that just wants to get on with his life without getting involved with the fight between the "corporates" and the "indies"

Radio Paul

Post by Radio Paul » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:22 pm

El Jefe' wrote:or maybe he decided that just wants to get on with his life without getting involved with the fight between the "corporates" and the "indies"
No that is not the case. If it were he would not have made a public declaration and given it to Marty in the first place. He tried to stand up and be heard but like so many previous cult members he had no idea of how vicious Scientology can be nor how all his friends and family would turn on him.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:55 pm

El Jefe' wrote:or maybe he decided that just wants to get on with his life without getting involved with the fight between the "corporates" and the "indies"
LOL. I doubt Paul would go through all the effort of posting his biography on Marty's blog, then asking him to remove it 2 days later, and telling Marty he can't divulge why he wants it to be deleted.

Gumbythetruth

Post by Gumbythetruth » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Radio Paul wrote:My name is Paul Staffer of Toronto, Canada. 
B)    I have been on the web doing some research ( YES, I believe as a Scientologist you should have the right to look at data on the net, in newspapers etc.; you should not be stopped from doing this)
Good for him.

El Jefe'

Post by El Jefe' » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 am

Radio Paul wrote:
No that is not the case. If it were he would not have made a public declaration and given it to Marty in the first place. He tried to stand up and be heard but like so many previous cult members he had no idea of how vicious Scientology can be nor how all his friends and family would turn on him.
All conjecture.

The fact is no one here knows why Paul asked Marty to pull down his declaration.

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Away is one step from being out...

Return to “Opinions & Debate”