Aspirin may prevent many cancers, but CoS is anti-aspirin

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:30 am

NBC News with Brian Williams led tonight with a dramatic study from the respected science journal Lancet* of the benefits of aspirin, listing a number of cancers that it helps reduce your chances of getting.

But aspirin is a no-no in CoS:
The official Church website says it is okay to take antibiotics or other medical drugs prescribed by a medical doctor. "Any other drug use, such as the use of street drugs or psychiatric mind-altering drugs, is forbidden." [1] Exactly what the Church considers to be "psychiatric" or "mind-altering" drugs may be quite different from what the mainstream considers to be in this category; aspirin, for example, is claimed to "inhibit the ability of the thetan to create mental image pictures" and render the thetan as a result "stupid, blank, forgetful, delusive and irresponsible. He gets into a 'wooden' sort of state, unfeeling, insensitive, unable and definitely not trustworthy, a menace to his fellows actually" (emphasis in original).[1] Students are not permitted "on course" (to undergo Scientology training or receive Scientology services) if they have taken aspirin within the past 24 hours.

Footnote 1 "Painkillers; Drugs and their Effect on the Mind". Church of Scientology International. http://www.scientologyhandbook.org/sh7_2a.htm. Retrieved 2006-05-20.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cl ... y_doctrine

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17443454

Wieber

Re: Aspirin may prevent many cancers, but CoS is anti-aspiri

Post by Wieber » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:25 am

The active ingredient in aspirin/acetyl salicylic acid is found in willow tree sap. That was the original source of acetyl salicylic acid. Bayer figured out how to synthesize the active ingredient, for which their brand name was Aspirin. Bayer is a German pharmaceutical company.

I have a suspicion Hubbard's proscribing of aspirin may have something to do with his dislike of German pharmaceutical companies and not actually have anything to do with how it affects a person who takes it.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

whitesand

Post by whitesand » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:47 am

Millions of people are on low-dose daily aspirin therapy today. It helps prevent a second heart attack or stroke. My brother was prescribed 81 mg. a day a few years ago to prevent getting cancer.

So much for "source" being perfect. Yet another reason not to join a 1950s UFO cult.

SeeYaBye

Post by SeeYaBye » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 pm

"Street drugs" -- what a joke. Even when I was Scientology staff, and one of the posts I held in the "church" was as Medical Officer, I never could understand why I could not take certain street drugs. I would suffer from spring allergies badly, but could take nothing for it, which I always resented. A fellow staff member had psoriasis, and he would not allowed to take the low dose of antibiotics that were needed to handle it. He had to suffer from dry, scaly, itchy skin as a result. Completely ridiculous!

Now, out for 25+ years, I have been taking 81mg aspirin daily for years, on doctor's advice. I also take a low dose blood pressure medication. And if I am suffering from hay fever, or am around a cat for any length of time, I take an antihistamine to handle allergy symptoms. None of these would be allowed if I were a member of the Church of Scientology.
"The truth is the kindest thing we can give folks in the end." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

bparker230

Post by bparker230 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:45 pm

For some reason, (maybe it's my occasional aspirin "abuse") I don't recall exactly how much time a preclear was not sessionable after taking aspirin. But I think it was longer than after consuming alcohol. I never understood why aspirin was considered by LRH to be worse than alcohol. Probably because he was full of shit, and a drunk.

But apparently it's okay for an OTXV to receive injections of Vistaril in his ass.

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:36 pm

So does acetamitaphin turn one into Pinnochio too?

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:43 pm

SeeYaBye wrote:"Street drugs" -- what a joke. Even when I was Scientology staff, and one of the posts I held in the "church" was as Medical Officer, I never could understand why I could not take certain street drugs. I would suffer from spring allergies badly, but could take nothing for it, which I always resented.

Now, out for 25+ years, I have been taking 81mg aspirin daily for years, on doctor's advice. I also take a low dose blood pressure medication. And if I am suffering from hay fever, or am around a cat for any length of time, I take an antihistamine to handle allergy symptoms. None of these would be allowed if I were a member of the Church of Scientology.
The sad part of this is, that alot of ex-Scilons are now dealing with medical issues that started when they were in the cult, and have become exasperated since they left, because of years of not treating it, initially.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 pm

brownjedi wrote:So does acetamitaphin turn one into Pinnochio too?
Interestingly, I know Scilons that have taken Tylenol aka acetaminophen for years and they have no issue with this, but are anti-aspirin.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Smurf, Do those Scientologists have kids with asthma?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/healt ... sthma.html
When I was a kid in the 1950's, aspirin was the only painkiller for kids, and nobody in my school had asthma. Aspirin in children was linked to sometimes-fatal Reye's Syndrome in the 1980's,* so parents started giving Children's Tylenol, and the schools became packed with children with asthma. This is still a debated topic.
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reye's_syndrome

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 am

Thank Smurf. That is interesting. With the whole idea of aspirin causing "wooden" states, you would think that old eLwRONg would have popped a few pills to help with his erectile issues

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:22 am

Your timing is impeccable, Don

It was only a few short hours ago the discussion about the benefits of Aspirin were being discussed on Sydney radio talk back.

Of course, all science and studies should be ignored in favor of scientology lunacies about medications because that darn ol' inter-galactic-evil-psych-conspiracy trumps all and sundry in the face of the facts.

Yeah, scientology grants the beingness of studpidness...

Ya hearrrd!

"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

Gumbythetruth

Post by Gumbythetruth » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Don Carlo wrote:NBC News with Brian Williams led tonight with a dramatic study from the respected science journal Lancet* of the benefits of aspirin, listing a number of cancers that it helps reduce your chances of getting.

But aspirin is a no-no in CoS:
The official Church website says it is okay to take antibiotics or other medical drugs prescribed by a medical doctor. "Any other drug use, such as the use of street drugs or psychiatric mind-altering drugs, is forbidden." [1] Exactly what the Church considers to be "psychiatric" or "mind-altering" drugs may be quite different from what the mainstream considers to be in this category; aspirin, for example, is claimed to "inhibit the ability of the thetan to create mental image pictures" and render the thetan as a result "stupid, blank, forgetful, delusive and irresponsible. He gets into a 'wooden' sort of state, unfeeling, insensitive, unable and definitely not trustworthy, a menace to his fellows actually" (emphasis in original).[1] Students are not permitted "on course" (to undergo Scientology training or receive Scientology services) if they have taken aspirin within the past 24 hours.

Footnote 1 "Painkillers; Drugs and their Effect on the Mind". Church of Scientology International. http://www.scientologyhandbook.org/sh7_2a.htm. Retrieved 2006-05-20.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cl ... y_doctrine

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17443454
Don, is there any information regarding scientology doctrine and pain medications other than aspirin? To my knowledge most oral prescription pain medications target area,s of the brain which interpret and process the information from the area of the body which is sending said information. Does scientology class these medications as mind altering too? Because that is exactly what they do, which is alter the brains ability to interpret the pain as pain!

A good case in point at this time would be what Tommy Davis and his wife are going through. The pain related to the illness Tommy,s wife is going through is horrendous. Do you think as a scientologist she is being denied or denying herself these mind altering drugs during her illness to ease her pain?

I am not singling out Tommy Davis and his wife as an example becuase of their stature, but they are the only scientologists I know that are going through a hard time health wise.

A lot of moral and ethical stuff goes out the window when a loved one is in pain. We seek to ease their suffering. I personally had a family member whom was terminally ill with cancer and was very much "Anti-Street Drugs". Yet as the pain became overwhelming she was accepting that marijuana could possibly help ease that pain and aid in increasing her desire to eat.

That family member was my wonderful mother. And I was the guy that provided her with that which eased her pain. Both of us have no regrets over our actions. Is that not what we humans are all about? To aid in the easing of the suffering of our fellow man? For me social and religious beliefs go out the door when a person is suffering both physically or mentally.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:48 pm

How many Scientologists have died of breast cancer, and how many WILL die? Would they take aspirin? Sadly, many might refuse aspirin since it is forbidden within 24 hours of courses like auditing. Moving up the bridge with auditing and other courses will (they believe) find the true cause of the cancer, and thus cure it.
Can Aspirin treat breast cancer? Why aren't we trying to find out? by Kelly Crowe, CBC News, Jul 22, 2014 http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/can-aspir ... -1.2714640

It would also be tragic if ex-Scientologists brought stale and wrong beliefs with them as they left Scientology, like "aspirin makes you stupid" and "Tylenol is always safer than aspirin." Do the research on high doses of Tylenol and liver damage, folks! http://www.webmd.com/drug-medication/ot ... taminophen

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:36 am

Aside from being a potent painkiller to help with that numbing headache or aching pain in your back, doctors today routinely prescribe a daily regimen of aspirin to help prevent heart attack and stroke. And a number of studies also indicate that they may also be able to decrease your likelihood of certain types of cancer
. Health effects of aspirin: Where do we stand? by Nadia Kounang and Jen Christensen,Dec. 1, 2015, cnn.com, http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/24/health/he ... index.html

Return to “Opinions & Debate”