One opened, more to come!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Recommend: Don't log into OCMB while logged into Facebook
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm 

It has become a common practice for some web sites to use Facebook as a means to gather information on a person if they are logged into Facebook when they visit those other sites.

I have made it a practice not to log into Facebook while on OCMB, just because I'm paranoid. But I have recently experienced visiting sites while logged onto Facebook and finding my name and picture on display on the non Facebook site because the site is getting a feed from Facebook.

I don't think there's anything set up with OCMB to do something like that but I just assume there are watchers and those watchers might figure out a way to get Facebook data when someone who is logged into Facebook visits or logs into this site while they are logged into Facebook.

http://www.worldcat.org./profiles/Wieber/lists/563909

Post subject: Re: Recommend: Don't log into OCMB while logged into Faceboo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:35 pm 

Yup, you're (unnecessarily) paranoid. If you have a Facebook page, anyone can publicly access it. They just can't read your Wall or see your photos & contact info if you have it designated as private or the person reading it is not your Facebook "friend".

I'm aware that active Scilons are looking at my Facebook.. every once in a while I get an incendiary PM from a Scilon. Who cares? And who cares if they know I'm posting on OCMB?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm 

I think you're talking about these social plugins that some sites use. This is personalised for you by facebook. Nobody else can see what you see in your browser when you're on one of those sites. Facebook's partner sites which use the social plugins for their pages don't get any information from facebook about you, your friends etc. (the connection is between you and Facebook, not the site inbetween). I don't use facebook so I'm not aware of all the privacy settings but as a general rule you might want to check to see what you allow to be visible by others. It often stuns me how these social platforms assume that people want to share so many things by default instead of using the opt-in approach.

Of course there is still the issue of whether you even want to trust Facebook "stalking you" across thousands of partner sites that use the plug in because it does mean that Facebook themselves would log visits to those partner sites by you, but only to those sites which use those faceboook social plug-ins and for their own stats (there is no longer any user "off button" for the social plugins that are used by a lot of sites thesedays, such as the facebook 'like' buttons and comment boxes etc, unless you logout of Facebook).
http://www.networkworld.com/community/b ... 0-websites
Also note that, in any case, every website logs your IP and which site/page/link you came from to get to their site.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:51 pm 

Wieber, you should be able to change that.

Go to Privacy Settings, then under Apps and Websites click Edit Settings for Instant Personalization. Uncheck the Enable box.

Also under Apps and Websites is Public Search. If you uncheck Enable under that one it's supposed to keep external search engines from bringing up your profile preview in the search results. I think it may also keep your name from coming up when FB users not on your friends list search for you within FB, but I'm not sure about that.