EAST COAST ALERT! SCIENTOLOGY AT THE UN!

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
don_carlo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

EAST COAST ALERT! SCIENTOLOGY AT THE UN!

Post by don_carlo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:23 pm

The Scientology front group
"Youth for Human Rights International" is hosting a International Human Rights Youth Summit at the United Nations on August 23-24, 2004.

Now, I'm all for Human Rights, and I wrote a thread about the UN DEclaration of Human Rights a couple of years ago. I'm all for Youth being active and involved. I'm sure there are idealists at CoS who actually believe this summit is a selfless act by CoS to improve human rights.

But... CoS itself violates a number of human rights, most blatantly the equal-pay right (by not paying its workers minimum wage), and the UN declaration that the family is the basis of society (by forcing their members to disconnect from their own family if their family criticizes CoS).

CoS violates the US Constitution by claiming unique religious tax exemptions and loopholes from an IRS secret agreement. This discriminates against all other US religions, since none of them have these beenfits.

Damn! I wish I were under 20 so I could send myself there and ask the Scientology kids some questions like:

Your pamphlet describes how to fight AIDS. Do you believe "AIDS is a state of mind, or a disease?" If it's a disease, could you tell that to famous Scientologist Jenna Elfman?

Do you know that CoS, for decades, has overworked and underpaid its minor children who are on staff?

Do you know Hubbard threw a four-year-old into a chain locker to punish him?

Do you know Lisa McPherson, under the care of Scientologists, died with roach bites on her body?

Those itching to picket, watch out for committing a self-inflicted footbullet! If you mock the Scientology religion, or vaguely call it a "cult" they can just say you are a bigot and you're against human rights. Remember the UN is an ultra-high security area. You may find it easier to leaflet. Find the YMCA and other non-Scientology groups that have sponsored teens, and give them pamphlets. Be very careful not to force any leaflets, or any speeches, on the teens themselves. Don't let CoS polarize the event into "us" teens against "weird bigoted" picketers.

Here are some slogans RELEVANT to the event:

CoS violates minimum wage laws for its workers

CoS has overworked its child laborers

CoS encourages teen workers to drop out of high school

CoS forces its dissidents into an illegal labor camp

CoS discourages teen workers from going to university

CoS forces its Sea Org women to have abortions.

Be sure to have references and additional print-outs to defend your position.

don_carlo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by don_carlo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:10 am

Youth for Human Rights International is CoS-controlled. There are a number of Scientology links within the site, and the director is a CoS appointee.
QUOTE:
Meet the Director: Mary Shuttleworth: Several years ago she founded a school called Mary's Schoolhouse in Hollywood using the study technology of L. Ron Hubbard. END QUOTE.

The big push here is to distribute a booklet presenting UN Human Rights in cartoon format. It does acknowledge Scientology on the final page.

My next post will be on the booklet.

The International Foundation for Human Rights and Toleration appears to be the parent group. It links to the youth group but the youth group does not link back. It links to Church of Scientology International. (It also links to Friends of the UN but Friends doesn't link back either - Friends of the UN is not a Scientology group).

neil c

Post by neil c » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:40 am

Thanks Don Carlo and Sarah.

I'll post this on ARS.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:27 am

What Are Human Rights is the booklet that the Youth for Human Rights International is enthusiastically distributing.

It's an interesting development. Is there a "reformation" going on within Scientology that finally respects the disabled, respects equal pay, etc., and want Scientology to become mostly a human-rights group (like the Secular Humanists)?

OR is this just another PR and recruiting ploy to boost CoS at a low point?

OR, is this a hidden agenda to persuade countries to pass "anti-hate" laws like the one talked about in Britain, which would make it a crime to criticize a religion? So then CoS could put all us critics in prison? How humane.

Let's look at the booklet. First, the cover looks like California younsters (well-fed, rosy cheeks, perfect teeth) in classic Scientology-PR clothes (solid colors, no logos, no obvious fashion) with an unimaginative attempt at ethnicity. Jeez, the young boy with a black vest, white shirt, and ted scarf - I guess they don't know that's what the Communists used to make Eastern Europeans wear. East European parents wouldn't buy such an outfit, and their kids wouldn't be caught dead in it.

I was just overseas and kids everywhere like blue jeans, logos, and changing fashion. Boring one-color blank shirts just don't do it. So the kid clothes aren't ethnic enough and aren't real enough.

Look at any Scientology illustrations and you see adults wearing single-color, no-fashion tops. This is partly to prevent the photo from getting hopeless out of date. But it also drains the personality and expressiveness out of the person. It's as though the photographer has a closet full of solid-color no-fashion clothes and MAKES his subjects wear them.

The booklet does list the names of the children on the cover - all "regular-American" names - even the surnames are not Asian, African, or Latin American. Maybe the Asian-looking child was adopted by Caucasian American parents. It all seems too vanilla flavored.

Oh, my, they've got as advisor Irving Sarnoff, the Founder of the non-CoS "Friends of the UN" as advisor. I wonder if he knows about CoS child labor violations.

On to the booklet. Of course the content is admirable - it's a simplification of a great document - the UN Declaration of Human Rights. But the drawings are mediocre.

We are all Free and Equal. The first drawing, I acknowledge, does have a girl in a wheelchair holding a basketball, and her fully-able friends, posing. Can't they get the girl into a wheelchair basketball league? It's really unfair to her to have to play with kids who can run. Also, everyone is various ethnic groups, but they're all cute. I wonder if they smile when the ugly kids beat them at basketball. Other than that, it's an inoffensive drawing.

The next drawing looks like it's lifted from a 1950's Dick and Jane story. Even when I was a kid in the 1950's, no policeman had time to be a crossing guard, and policemen looked more modern that that guy. The bookbags look like the 1940's. It looks like the artist just copied something from an old and unimaginative textbook. And the drawing doesn't illustrate any text - the previous sentence is about fair treatment in the courts, and the next sentence is about no unfair imprisonment. Is the smiling crossing guard supposed to symbolize justice and prison reform?

Next is The Right to Privacy with a dejected skater slumped on a very nice park bench. Unless he is in Clearwater, and there is a CoS camera monitoring his every move, he's actually IN a fairly private spot. Not logical.

Freedom to move is the next drawing, of a mother lifting her child up onto a train. Even in rural Peru, you had steps; you didn't have to scramble up a ladder to get onto a train. The artist needs to do some clay work to understand how to get onto a train.

The right to a nationality is an obvious copy of the cover page with the California kids pretending to be international. The boy still is stuck in that red scarf.

Marriage and family - nice Asian family with two girls. Good thing to distribute in places that only want sons. Nicely drawn.

Your own things - girl protecting doll. If only the wallets of CoS members were so protected!

Freedom of thought - vaguely Buddhist monks celebrating their ability to change their religion any time. No problem.

Freedom to Say What You Want - A girl addresses a meeting. My guess - she is NOT asking a local org meeting "Why can't my parents spend more time with me instead of at courses?" Actually the drawing looks copied from a spelling bee.

Workers getting a fair wage and able to join a trade union- it's kids selling lemonade. What's not to like? If only CoS PAID a fair wage. Just imagine if CoS staff tried to unionize. Off to ethics!

The right to play. Kids on go-carts. Nice. If only Sea Org employees had time to play.

A bed and some food. Kids eating spaghetti. That's an easy one for Sea Org - ALL they can guarantee is a bed and some food. The bed might one of four mattresses in a room, and the food might be rice and beans.
It continues: old people, the disabled - all people have a right to be cared for. This contradicts Hubbard's theory of fair exchange.

The right to an education. Again, easy for Sea Org. The UN only asks for a primary school education. CoS can continue to encourage teens to drop out of high school.

Culture and copyright - Definitely a CoS favorite. Where's the right to sue over people making fair-use copies of your "sacred scriptures?"

The booklet concludes Nobody can take these rights from you. The logical conclusion is to leave Sea Org!

Here's the dirty little secret of the booklet. They have quotes from "Many humanitarians," and they slip in a quote from L. Ron as though he were the equal of Voltaire, or Gandhi, or Martin Luther King.

The final line of the book is a copyright by The International Foundation for Human Rights and Tolerance, so the "parent" CoS front is using the "youth" Cos front (with fewer links and mentions of Scientology) to do its distribution.

These pamphlets could have been produced and mailed world-wide, without recruiting kids to push them, and having the kids undergo the danger of being recruited into Scientology.

There is still an opportunity for some non-CoS group to simplify and illustrate the Human Rights Declaration with NO kissing up of Hubbard and Scientology. I wonder if CoS would allow the "competition." Would they force the "Friends of the UN" to ONLY sponsor THEM?

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:10 am

Scientology Sues its Religious Offshoots

Another picket idea for the UN conference.

CoS supports Freedom of Religion unless you use a term or ritual "invented" by L. Ron Hubbard. Then they become the Church of the Holy Lawsuit.

CoS must envision this as a huge PR benefit. Did they think New York City doesn't KNOW about their misdeeds?

(Message edited by Don_Carlo on August 07, 2004)

hartley

Post by hartley » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:06 pm

One of the unique features of the CoS is that its paranoia became frozen in time when Hubbard died. His selection from the Illuminati pack (Interpol, the Twelve Bankers, the drug multinationals, the evil psychs) has not been added to.

Had that not been the case the CoS would probably have added the rest of the New World Order cards, which includes the UN.
ARSCC Demographics Department
Still looking for 9,950,000 scientologists.
http://news-from-bree.blogspot.com/
http://www.newsfrombree.co.uk/

basic2basic

Post by basic2basic » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:49 pm

HCOPL 23 DEC 1965RB revised 8 jan 1991 !!!!

SUPPRESSIVE ACTS
SUPPRESSION OF SCIENTOLOGY AND SCIENTOLOGISTS

" Organising a splinter group to use scientology
data or any part of it to distract people from standard scientology"

" Unauthorised use of the materials of Dianetics and scientology."

I could go on.

This is institutionalised per policy suppression of the scientology religion as practiced by those no longer wishing to be part of the organisations of COS.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:41 pm

Thanks, Terril. It's good to have references to PROVE CoS is anti-religious-freedom for its offshoots.

programmer_guy

Post by programmer_guy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:44 am

"...CoS is anti-religious-freedom for its offshoots."

I, as well as any former members, already knew this. Hubbard wanted tight control on this. No squirrels!

Terril is just reporting that fact - which has been true from way back in SCN history.
codo ergo sum.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:13 am

COS sued its own offshoot religion
That one angle is the best one for picketing at the UN.

Problems with my other picket ideas are that CoS has a "pat answer" for them.
If you criticize CoS for minimum wage, the ordinary person at a UN conference might just think - it's no big deal -the workers can quit if they want more money.

If you bring up Lisa McPherson, CoS can just counter with the medical examiner report. Arguing how guilty CoS appeared to be would take too long.

The boy that Hubbard sent to the chain locker - you'd have to get the eyewitness onto "Sixty Minutes" to "prove" it.

If you merely say CoS is fraudulent, they can say you're "attacking a religion." It is not easy, in a few minutes, to prove fraud.

Therefore, the best slogan is "Scientology sued its offshoot religion." CoS CANNOT deny a lawsuit that THEY filed. In minutes, any reporter can look up the case and confirm the fact that CoS LOOKED like the bad guy; THEY were the ones persecuting a religion. If CoS starts talking about copyright laws, ordinary people will be stunned. They will think of the Bible and the Koran, which nobody has a copyright over. The more CoS talks about "trade secrets" the more they will stun their audience.

And, it makes CoS look like a hypocrite, writing a booklet extolling religion freedom after trying to crush religious freedom.

ALSO: Picketers should not get into an argument about "Youth for Human Rights International" being a "front" for Scientology, or "controlled" by Scientology. You can't prove that in a few minutes. I think it is Scientology-controlled, but the legal relationship may be quite murky, so don't argue something that you can't win.

What you CAN say is that the youth group is distributing a Scientology-printed and copyrighted booklet "What Are Human Rights?". You can prove that by turning to the last page of the booklet! If Scientology sued a church over copyrights, will CoS sue if someone puts out a competing pamphlet? Or, will the pamphlet be tarnished by Scientology's anti-religious-freedom act of suing The Church of the New Civilization?"

The Church of the New Civilization was the only church I could find in a lawsuit with CoS (in 1986). See http://www.xs4all.nl/~oracle/mgarde/woll796.txt
Is there an orginary-language description of who won what in that lawsuit? I'm not a lawyer and don't want to make mistakes trying to decode a complex legal document.

Does anyone know of any other lawsuits? I checked xenu.net's Court Files and only found that one.

Even if you only know of CoS THREATENING another competing church or spiritual group with a lawsuits, I'd like to know; it's not enough by itself but maybe it did lead to a lawsuit.

(Message edited by Don_Carlo on August 08, 2004)

neil c

Post by neil c » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:14 pm

Info and a few photos of the COS Human Rights Youth Summit at the United Nations

http://www.scientology.org/en_US/news-m ... pg001.html

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:37 pm

Thanks, Neil. I see it's only 25 kids, down in a small conference room, WITHOUT the UN logo. I hope that the kids will absorb the genuine values of the UN Declaration of Human Rights, and if they are in CoS or join it, alarms bells will go off as CoS disconnection tramples families and CoS attack lawyers trample free speech.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”