Volney Mathison, the inventor of the Scientology E-Meter -

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
lermanet_com

Volney Mathison, the inventor of the Scientology E-Meter -

Post by lermanet_com » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:19 am

An astute supporter of Lermanet.com acquired a rare copy of
Volney Mathison's book at a rather dear price...
I am pleased to accept this donation to the cause of Exposing the CON!

Readers will find the real reason that Hubbard went to war with
Volney Mathison. Mr. Mathison denounced Hubbard as a fraud
and a Hypnotist!!

and this was in 1954!! IN his book "Creative Image Therapy"
http://www.lermanet.com/exit/hubbard-the-hypnotist4.htm

Chapter 6
THE BODY IS THE INSTRUMENT OF THE PSYCHE

One peculiar situation sometimes is encountered in
cases where creative image therapy is introduced to a
patient who, unfortunately, has read books on the subject of
psychoanalysis or psychiatry. Often such a patient will
wanly inform you that he's sorry, but he can't visualize or
create mental images to save his life. Not a one. It may
be suspected that this type of patient is trying, in his
aberrated way, to impress upon you the awful state of his
case. He's bad off, so far gone he can't even visualize.
He's putting you on notice--unless you are a super-thera-
ist, you'll never be able to aid him. If you happen to get
angry at the fellow, you might as well quit at once. But if
you are just amused, you can agree with him. Inform him it's
common, you have had such cases. Then with assurance and
positiveness, try this: "In this situation there is a useful
substitute. Merely imagine that you can see mental images.
There's no question about it--you can't see them. But anybody
unless dead or unconscious, can imagine or have an idea of
what it would be like if he could create mental images."
This sometimes works!

-----------------

He goes on to discuss a "case' he inherited
from one of those "Scientology" outfits
....describes what he finds...
and then expresses his outrage towards the end:

----------------------

Don't be tricked by any faker, whether he claims to be
holy, "illuminated", or "scientific". There are charlatans
who promise--even through the U. S. mails, so stupidly reck
less are they--to heal or transform you for large sums of
money--some by esoteric "teachings", others by their mere
presence or by their invoking some mysterious Power. The
Power they claim to invoke is genuine--but it functions only
within each of us. It was, is, and probably always will be
here, unlimited.

The faker who hypnotizes you out of your money is not
himself a sane, whole, and happy man--he is usually opera-
ting, puppet-like, on some deep, uncleared set of sub
conscious image patterns as brutal as those of some stray
killer shark.

----------------------

Creative Image Therapy
by Volney G Mathison

(c) 1954 by Matheson Electropsychometers International

This is MUST READ for Freezoners too
http://www.lermanet.com/exit/hubbard-the-hypnotist4.htm

Arnaldo Lerma
Lermanet.com Exposing the CON
Do you THINK scientology works?
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:29 am

Arnie, this is very significant high value historical research. It is excellent historical data from the inventor of the E-Meter. Mathison battled Hubbard constantly because he saw what evil intentions and fraud LRH intended for the E-Meter.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

lermanet_com

What did Volney Matheson choose to place on the index page?

Post by lermanet_com » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:57 am

THE MOST CRUEL FRAUD

The most cruel fraud ever perpetrated upon a nervous,
distressed, unhappy or sick human being is to say to him
or to her, in effect,--- the cure for all this is more
'positive thinking.' This advice, BY ITSELF, is ruthlessly
brutal. No troubled person ever wilfully and deliberately
thinks "negatively." He does so solely and only because
---subconsciously---HE MUSTI Often when the sick or
Troubled person is exhorted to "think positively," he
tries---and fails. And failure creates in him greater
despair, more severe illness than before. The troubled
one, nowadays, reads and hears about "positive thinking"
on every hand. Others claim to achieve miraculous results
---but he cannot---so now he feels that HIS case must be
hopeless. So this is the cruelest fraud---to be exhorted
to "think positively," without being taught precisely
HOW TO DO IT! To teach just this---precisely HOW TO
BECOME ABLE to "think positively" is the goal and purpose
of Creative Image Therapy.

---Volney G. Mathison

from the index page of
Creative Image Therapy
by Volney G Mathison
(c) 1954 by Matheson Electropsychometers International
Arnaldo Lerma
Lermanet.com Exposing the CON
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

programmer_guy

Post by programmer_guy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:06 am

Arnie,

I had a a lot of difficulty in understanding the contents of that web page.

Was ALL of that (contents) written by Matthison?

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:21 pm

programmer_guy wrote:Arnie,

that was chpter 6 of his book

"Creative Image Therapy"

evidentally, this Wolney is one of the MAJOR real sources for what freezoners say is good in scientology,
Hubbard, stole it, and then wrote the man out of history, and lied about his relationship, and then for good measure 'destroyed him utterly.'..

as usual..

How much more 'evidence' do the supporters of that thief hubbard need?

Hubbard has done more to destroy "clearing technologies' than anyone else.

arnie lerma

olska

Post by olska » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Wow! Thanks, Arnie -- this was enlightening indeed!

Will you be making the rest of Matheson's book available?

olska

Post by olska » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:38 pm

Three excerpts from Chapter 6 of Matheson's book, now residing on lermanet.com, with comments:
The longer one considers the phenomena of creative imagery, on the level of awareness, the more clearly can one see that this activity is basic to almost every other. This, too, discloses the true nature of that which is generally called "faith". "Faith", in any religion, comprises the never-faltering duplication of psychic image systems wherein one is positively ALREADY ACCOMPLISHING SOME ACT, ACHIEVING SOME DESIRED EVENT. The mental images themselves are only of FULFILLMENT. These, the actual images, are as of NOW, only and forever as of now. They cannot be of the "future". One "sees" them NOW. In "faith cures" of actual disease, the psychic image pattern of the re-created structure is as of NOW. Not going to be, not will be, but NOW. Psychic images seem uncreatable 3.n the future sense. The image is created and duplicated NOW. The new structure is already completed--on the psychic image level.
This -- what other religions call "faith" -- is what scientology calls "postulate." Hubbard reworded it and in the process made it more difficult to grasp and more "mysterious" -- as though it had never before been described. IMO Matheson's description of the phenomenon is much easier to understand.

Matheson continues...
If it is not first created on this level it will not be completed on the physical level. This is, must surely be, the mode of all Creation. The whole material universe is a manifestation of this prior creation by something that may be termed Divine Mind.
Note the humility of Matheson's reference to Divine Mind. I have found such humility to be completely absent from Hubbard's work, and imo that is one of the "fatal flaws" of scientology as a philosophy: scientology misleads the individual into a belief of self-as-GOD, and thus sets the individual up for constant striving for such a state, doomed to failure to achieve it.

More ...
... There is extant a pseudo-scientific system of something or other wherein the patient is required to create and duplicate arbitrary sys- tems of mental images that are autocratically selected for him by the operator. Worse still, the patient is forced monotonously to perform interminably-duplicated trivial physical motions, such as touching a certain exact spot on the table, over and over and over, sometimes for hours.
This is obviously a description of the scientology objective processes, aka "communication, control, and havingness" processes (CCHs).

And more (bold emphasis mine) ...
Bluntly, this is a powerful and effective technique for covertly inducing hypnosis. By the duplicated command the subject is caused endlessly to duplicate mental image patterns wherein he is OBEYING the operator, explicitly, time after time after time. The subject is sooner or later reduced to such a zombie-like state that he will thereafter obey the operator's every other covert or indirect command. These covert and indirect commands are presented to the subject in the form of take-it-or-leave-it "suggestions"--to buy every book, take every expensive "course", attend every convention or conference staged by the operator.
Thankfully, not everyone who encounters scientology is so easily "reduced to such a state," as MOST people who are introduced to the subject DO RESIST buying all those expensive services and submitting to the "commands" of Hubbard and his fanatical culties. But the pressure to do so is certainly there, coming both directly from Hubbard's words with his covert make-wrong of those who don't jump on his wagon (the panty-waist dilletantes, the A to J's, etc.) and indirectly from his fanatical followers with their strong-arm "regging" tactics and guilt-trips run on anyone who doesn't exhibit "total dedication."
The victim at long last finds himself penniless, in debt, and much more ill and troubled than ever before.
... and then, thanks to the internet, finds lermanet.com, OC, and other sites where s/he can get the full truth, find validation for all those niggling doubts one had along the way, and embark upon the journey of recovering from Hubbard's bullshit! :D

mr_bad

Post by mr_bad » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Arnie,

This is truly a lost treasure in terms of understanding what a piece-of-shit Hubbard was.

Volney Mathison appears to be a genius. He was a man who had some great ideas who apparently got the typical "deletion" from the history of $cientology. This is unfortunate for every $cientologist.

mb
Here's Jabba the Hub as he writes crappy sci-fi while his wife sits prison...OT Priorities personified!!!

SchwimmelPuckel

Post by SchwimmelPuckel » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:49 pm

Amazing! - I guess I ate up the cults 'truth' about Volney. I thought he was some unrelated electrical tinker techie-wog who happened to invent the earliest e-meter without realizing it's true potential.

Am I the only one?
:?
[i]Ask not what [url=http://www.lermanet.com][color=blue]Scientology[/color][/url] can do for you, ask what the F*arck! is going on.[/i]

Fanboy The Great And...

Post by Fanboy The Great And... » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:48 pm

SchwimmelPuckel wrote:Amazing! - I guess I ate up the cults 'truth' about Volney. I thought he was some unrelated electrical tinker techie-wog who happened to invent the earliest e-meter without realizing it's true potential.

Am I the only one?
:?

I would bet my entire fortune (about 7 bucks, at present) that you were not the only one.

For any Scientologist to believe that the E-Meter was actually created by an intelligent, caring psychologist who wrote well and wanted to help people, and that despised LRH and all his works?

Not possible.

He's like the mentions of John the Baptist in the New Testament - all signs point to John having been the one who created the freaky doomsday cult that Jesus joined, and after John was executed Jesus stepped in like a nicer version of DM. Despite this being in the freaking Bible, millions of people worldwide STILL believe that Jesus was the one who created the religion.

John's existance in the Bible is an embarassment to Christianity's claims of divinity for Jesus, but one that can't be written out - like the existance of Volney.

Thankfully, the origins of Scientology are near enough that we can use Volney's existance as another shattering blow to the foundations of the CoS, which isn't the case for John the Baptist. :shakeheadroll: :shakeheadroll:
"Of course he went by Ron; who would have
taken a guy named Lafayette seriously?"

"Scientology is only about convincing the able they're crippled,
and lying to the crippled with the promise of making them able."

clamdigrr

Post by clamdigrr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:56 pm

SP wrote:
Amazing! - I guess I ate up the cults 'truth' about Volney. I thought he was some unrelated electrical tinker techie-wog who happened to invent the earliest e-meter without realizing it's true potential.

Am I the only one?
That's doubtful...as a 'true believer' is obligated to think the worst of anyone that speaks against LRH or the Co$. I suppose it goes with the territory.

FB - not to get into a theological debate that isn't the point of OCB - but Matthew 3 has JTB disavowing himself as the creator of anything but only as one who prepared the way. Let's take on one fruity little club at a time, since we've just had a thread about other religions finally get friendly again.
Go on now, go,
Walk out the door,
Just turn around now,
'Cause you're not welcome anymore...

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:49 pm

lermanet_com wrote:
programmer_guy wrote:Arnie,

that was chpter 6 of his book

"Creative Image Therapy"

evidentally, this Volney is one of the MAJOR real sources for what freezoners say is good in scientology,
Hubbard, stole it, and then wrote the man out of history, and lied about his relationship, and then for good measure 'destroyed him utterly.'..

as usual..

How much more 'evidence' do the supporters of that thief hubbard need?

Hubbard has done more to destroy "clearing technologies' than anyone else.

arnie lerma

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Its of little surprise that again more FACTS about Hubbard stealing someonoe elses ideas to achieve his aim. Even though Hubbard was trying to steal of realities, money, SPIRITS...none of it was new. History has been littered with LUNATIC LIARS like Hubbard. Fortunately there have always been just enough good in people to rise up and eventually step on COCKROACHES like Hubbard and his PUTRID design.
The fact the Hubbard didnt invent the e-meter wont stop the zealots professing our release of of pain can be had by passing DC with our brains whilst some brainwashed Droid tells us what to think and when to think it. E-meter usage 'flattens' alrighty..just not in the way people believe. Just like youve said before Mr Lerma,
How long would you have to pass electric current through a persons brain telling them you held the secrets of the Universe before they believed it
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:04 pm

[deleted]

- steppenwolf
Last edited by steppenwolf on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:17 pm

steppenwolf wrote:Great find, Arnie. Priceless, in fact. Keep up the good work.

- steppenwolf
thanks, and thank you to alert..

now, the biggest challenge we face
is getting material such as this read by Scientologists..

the phrase I use, is "getting the data over the wall"

referring to the walls of the black box that hubbard crafted of lies for well intentioned minds..

that is the big challenge...

thats what needs to be done.

We dont need to know any more about Scientology

We dont need any new awsome webpages...at least, not compared to the degree of need to get the materials we already have

OVER THE WALL

Ideas wanted on how to do that.

FWIW, Ive already printed and mailed out a quarter of a million printed pages in the mail over ten years. Tis is a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed.

This is why pickets are needed.

Mailings are needed,

Blimps are needed...

Any and all means to get the information over the wall...
is needed..

that is where I would direct your attention...

End the suffering..

Arnie Lerma

Return to “Opinions & Debate”