Freewinds = asbestos

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Peter Schilte

Freewinds = asbestos

Post by Peter Schilte » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:45 pm

A few weeks ago I sent an email to our Health Department, complaining on the dangerous situation on board the Freewinds.
I included the declaration of Freewinds' architect, Lawrence Woodcraft.
The Freewinds visits weekly the Netherlands Antilles island Bonaire, and the ship is infested with blue asbestos. On a regular basis their are events being held on board for the population of Bonaire. This week I got a reply from the department with the advise to send it to the Antillenhuis, and I did. Today they responded. I will try to translate:
Thank you for your email. I will relay it to the proper authorities of the Netherlands Antilles.
I have to tell you that the Freewinds, like any other ship visiting harbours in the Antilles, is subject to inspections by the Naval Inspection/Department of Shipping and Maritime Affairs of the Netherlands Antilles.
Every ship visiting harbours in the Antilles has to comply with strict Antillian Laws.

Thank you again for your mail and I will relay it as quick as possible to the Antillian Autorities in Willemstad.
Could this be the beginning of the end of the Freewinds? It should be, as asbestos is no longer allowed on ships visiting harbours in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
"THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN CONTROL PEOPLE IS TO LIE TO THEM."
- L. Ron Hubbard

http://www.scamofscientology.nl

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:58 pm

It's going to be interesting to see the outcome of this,I'm sure.
Many thanks for letting your Health Department know what is on the Freewinds.

Mog

Post by Mog » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Dear Navy,

I think thats really excellent of you. If the ship is truly still a danger then somebody has to do something about it.

I think maybe that the people who refitted the ship probably were at the highest risk and maybe now the stuff has been covered up or pannelled in. Still just maybe it will be found to be in violation of health and safety.

There is no way that lawrence would say something is it was not true. I had a similar kind experience while on the EPF. We were working on a house and I found the place to have a serious dry rot problem. I reported this to the EPF IC only to be treated like a person who was giving bad news. You know bad news, SP. What a stupid idiot. Later I heard that the house had burned down. I just could not help wondering if the unreported out point had just gone to far to fix.

If something is wrong you should fix it not pretend its not there.

Perhaps DM should be prep checked

On Freewinds has anything been notised

On Freewinds is there anything you have been careful of etc
Mog

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:29 pm

and here is a link to Lawrence Woodcraft's affidavit....
http://www.xenutv.com/interviews/lawrence-freewinds.htm

XenuTV interview...
http://www.xenutv.com/interviews/lawrence.htm

Asbestosis.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestosis
"There is no curative treatment"....not even OT8.

Peter Schilte

Post by Peter Schilte » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:43 pm

I've been around the world in the time when I was in the Dutch Royal Navy. I was approximately about 5 years stationed on a ship.
When asbestos is used for isolation in a ship, (in panels, the hull of the ship, all sorts of pipes) then it will losen bit by bit as dust.
You see, every ship moves, bends, rattles and shakes when it is sailing. These movements make the asbestos crumble and it subsequently spreads in the air all over the ship through the ventilation system. Not much, but asbestos is already hazardous in very small amounts. This ship, infested with asbestos, is sailing for years now, and I am afraid that in a few years the first victims will suffer from cancer. And this kind of cancer is one of the nastiest kind.
I hope this will be a wake up call for the authorities in the Antilles.
- L. Ron Hubbard

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:50 pm

I wonder if Greenpeace might be interested
http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... -block-shi
They certainly will when its time to dispose of the ship.

Peter Schilte

Post by Peter Schilte » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:10 pm

Last year there was a incident with Turkey. We sent a ship, the Otapan (Mexico), to Turkey for demolition, and it was supposed to have 1000 kg of asbestos on board as isolation. Before it arrived in Turkey, it was discovered that it was not 1000 kg, but 54,000 kg of asbestos! So Turkey refused the ship and it was sent back to Holland. The costs of demolition is estimated at 5.2 millon dollars. And this is not a big ship!
- L. Ron Hubbard

ThawedMarcabian

Post by ThawedMarcabian » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:02 pm

Navy wrote: This ship, infested with asbestos, is sailing for years now, and I am afraid that in a few years the first victims will suffer from cancer.
There have been lots of people onboard this ship in the many years it has been in scientology. For instance most if not all OT8. Are there any OT8 with cancer? The challenge for health authorities will be to assign cancer in OT8s and other passengers exclusively to this exposure. All of the former passengers with cancer who smoke cigarettes might make that an even greater challenge?

Peter Schilte

Post by Peter Schilte » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:18 pm

Fact is that asbestos causes cancer, but not instantly. After about 30 years cancer, caused by asbestos, will develop. And yes: it is very hard to point at asbestos after so many years. However, the sort of cancer is a good indicator.
But isn't that the trouble with many things? Fact is also that people who smoke are more in danger to develop lung cancer after being exposed to asbestos than those who weren't. But many people who smoke get cancer anyway. So it is difficult. But it is sure: asbestos causes cancer, mostly after 30 years after the exposure to asbestos. The first victims of the Freewinds will be known within a few years, when there will be many OT8's and other scientologists who worked on the Freewinds get ill with cancer. And there is nothing to change that. The only thing that can be done is stop using the Freewinds immediately, put it in a safe place and make plans for her demolition. This ship is going to kill many in the near future.
- L. Ron Hubbard

Pippi_le_peu

Post by Pippi_le_peu » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:52 pm

All of the former passengers with cancer who smoke cigarettes might make that an even greater challenge?
DUH! Smoking definitely would be a major confounder to any associations between exposure to asbestos on the Freewinds and cancer because those who did not smoke were at far greater risk! As everyone knows ...
I'm sure. Yeah. Not smoking enough will cause lung cancer. Not smoking enough will cause lung cancer!

- L Ron Hubbard (click here and hear it for yourself)

Peter Schilte

Post by Peter Schilte » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:45 pm

OK. So I sent this email to the local authorities on the Netherlands Antilles.
Today, to my surprise, I got an answer:
Willemstad, august 10 2007.

Subject: Asbestos inspection on the Freewinds.

Dear Sir,

Because of your email about blue asbestos on board the Freewinds the Director Shipping and Marine has carried out an inspection.

The inspection on board the Freewinds was done by two qualified and independent bureaus: the American Quest Environmental Inc. and the classifying department of the ship named Det Norkse Veritas.

The inspections carried out concentrated on air ventilation systems, passenger areas, working and public areas and staircases on board the ship.

These inspections revealed there is no concentrations of asbestos being found in the air, nor is there any asbestos found in the airconditioning system of the ship.

I thank you for your concerns and hope to have given satisfactory information.

with many greetings,

Ir. Maurice Adriaens
Secretary of Traffic and Transport.
The Freewinds is clean. Glad to know that. No innocent victims to be expected due to asbestos.
- L. Ron Hubbard

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Navy, thank you for this,

Would you reply to this email and ask for a confirming letter in hardcopy?

Whenever I find information on Lermanet that is not accurate ( my own opinions not withstanding) I am obligated to fix it...

I have to add this to the Freewinds stuff on Lermanet.com

Also a copy of the email with full headers would be great emailed to alermadeletespamtrap@verizon.net

We have so much ugly stuff about scientology we dont need to make anything up.

Actually, it would easiest, if YOU would do a webpage *I* could link the freewinds asbestos pages to it.
Do you THINK scientology works?
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:10 pm

SOunds like they did some sort of air quality test which does not mean that the asbestos was not ever there.

Peter Schilte

Post by Peter Schilte » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:36 pm

Arnie, I emailed, but the answer came by letter, signed by hand. I can not scan it now, otherwise I would have put it already on my website. This week, when I go to a friend, I can scan it and put the image with the story, although in Dutch, on my website. I will give you notice so you can download the image.

brownjedi, the authorities ordered two independent and officially acknowledged companies to check the environment on the ship for asbestos. The only way it could be dangerous is when it is in the air. If it was there, they would have found it. It was not found, the air was asbestos free. No reason for doubt.
- L. Ron Hubbard

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:17 pm

Cool Navy, but all that I was saying is that it was there once, so there may be sick people out there. Thank goodness it is clean now.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”