Breaking news - Keith Henson detained by authorities - AGAIN

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Post Reply
User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:05 pm

Slightly related to the topic:
Paris Hilton has been released from jail after only serving 3 days of her sentence, on "medical grounds".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6731143.stm

Now you've got another good reason to write to Governor Arnold Stupidnegger and ask why Keith Henson, 65 years old and taking medication for high blood pressure, is still in jail for a misdemeanor.

I'll start a new thread on this subject in order keep this thread clear for important updates.
viewtopic.php?t=23245

User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 am

Update regarding the civil case....

------------

HEARING RE: MOTION TO/FOR CORRECT JUDGMENT BY H KEITH HENSON
05/31/2007 - 9:30 AM DEPT. H5

HONORABLE KATHLEEN JACOBS, PRESIDING
CLERK: K. YORK
COURT REPORTER: NONE
HILLARY DEZOTELL, KEN HODEN, BRUCE WAGONER REPRESENTED BY DAVIS & WOJCIK - ATTORNEY JOSEPH WOJICK PRESENT.
HILLARY DEZOTELL, KEN HODEN, BRUCE WAGONER REPRESENTED BY LAW OFFICES OF ELLIOT J. ABELSON - ATTORNEY ELLIOT ABELSON PRESENT.
NO APPEARANCE BY: H KEITH HENSON
STIPULATION AND ORDER FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF COURT COMMISSIONER FILED.
09:59
ON THE COURTS OWN MOTION THIS MATTER IS CONTINUEDTO 07/19/07 - JUDGE PRO TEM TRUJILLO IS
UNAVAILABLE TODAY TO HEAR THIS MATTER.
ISSUES DISCUSSED WITH THE COURT.
HEARING CONTINUED TO 07/19/07 AT 09:30 IN DEPT H5.
NOTICE WAIVED.

--------------------

User avatar
ThawedMarcabian
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:26 pm

Post by ThawedMarcabian » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:57 am

so Keith sits in Riverside jail until (at least) JULY 19th?

User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:54 am

ThawedMarcabian wrote:so Keith sits in Riverside jail until (at least) JULY 19th?
Officially, he sits in jail for 180 days as per the sentence in the criminal case (less time the already served in custody before sentencing). Should he be released early for whatever reason then I doubt a pending civil case could stop that.

songbird
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:12 am

Post by songbird » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:40 am

I received a letter from Keith today - letter dated June 8 was in response to my earlier letter to him. He had received books that my husband & I sent him - so if you have sent books or letters, they are probably reaching him OK. (Note: Don't send him books directly - if you do, they won't be given to him - books must be shipped from a publisher, amazon.com, etc.)

Anything about his legal situation I'm asked not to mention. But with Keith's permission, I'll pass along that he's doing OK - seems in good spirits. We exchanged ideas about the Singularity (and to what extent current worldwide upheavals may stem from it), Keith's concepts about moving cable space elevators as energy source, his paper "Evolutionary Psychology, Memes and the Origin of War," along with news & chat.

It seems to me a very good thing that he continues to focus on his ideas, writing & research spanning a variety of fields.
Jail may have slowed him down, but it hasn't slowed him down! :wink: :)

User avatar
ThawedMarcabian
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:26 pm

Post by ThawedMarcabian » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:32 am

It sounds like he is doing OK in spite of the situation
(nobody needs to send him a "The Way to Happiness" booklet)

User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:24 pm

Thanks for that post songbird.
It's nice to get some real human feedback.

BTW, the petition has now passed the 1,000 mark.
(see link in my current sig.)

lostinspace
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:37 am

Post by lostinspace » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:42 pm

Here is another update on Keith ...

http://www.operatingthetan.com/
18 Jun 2007: Henson has been languishing in jail since he was taken into custody on May 8. For the crimes of picketing on a public highway, and responding to a joke in a usenet newsgroup, Henson has already spent more time behind bars than Paris Hilton will spend in total for driving under the influence of alcohol with a blood alcohol content of 0.08%, driving with a suspended license, driving 70 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, and driving without headlights after dark.

Henson filed Notice of Appeal today. Please consider a donation to Henson's defense. You can donate directly with the PayPal link at the top of this page, or by connecting to PayPal and using the Send Money tab to send a donation to hkhenson@rogers.com. If you have a major credit card, you do not need to be a PayPal member to send money via PayPal.

User avatar
tom_
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:13 pm
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Contact:

Post by tom_ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:56 pm

lostinspace wrote:Here is another update on Keith ...

http://www.operatingthetan.com/
18 Jun 2007: Henson has been languishing in jail since he was taken into custody on May 8. For the crimes of picketing on a public highway, and responding to a joke in a usenet newsgroup, Henson has already spent more time behind bars than Paris Hilton will spend in total for driving under the influence of alcohol with a blood alcohol content of 0.08%, driving with a suspended license, driving 70 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, and driving without headlights after dark.

Henson filed Notice of Appeal today. Please consider a donation to Henson's defense. You can donate directly with the PayPal link at the top of this page, or by connecting to PayPal and using the Send Money tab to send a donation to hkhenson@rogers.com. If you have a major credit card, you do not need to be a PayPal member to send money via PayPal.
Much thanks is owed to John Dorsay for keeping us informed.

The good news here is, appeals can be won and overturn a lower court's errors and bungling. Fingers crossed here. :)

Tom
----------------
www.thebridgemovie.net

User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:08 pm

There's no info about Appeals on the Riverside court pages (as yet) but anyway, here's update on the latest entries.....
Case HEM014371 Defendant 547981 HENSON, KEITH - Actions and Minutes

Action Date | Action Text
06/19/2007 | VICTIM RESTITUTION INITIATED BY EAL
Anyone know what "EAL" is?

Unless I've missed something in my searches, for a misdemeanor conviction in California, the amount of "victim restitution" is legally limited to between $100 min and £1,000 max so we're not taking an awful lot there. Note that there is "Restitution Fine" (with the above limits) and then there are "Restitution Orders". The latter is more like a civil judgement and is obviously the most expensive (interest at 10% per annum can be added from sentencing date), there is no legal min or max and the max is assumed unless reasons for it not to be are compelling enough, monies can be taken from an inmates account. I don't know which it is becuase it only appears to be a minute order that has not been turned into a judgement yet.

The other case, the Civil one, where 3 clams want $25,000 each plus $23,000 costs is still ongoing (as mentioned already, nothing scheduled till next month, 19th July "HEARING, RE: MOTION TO/FOR CORRECT JUDGMENT BY H KEITH HENSON" ).

Edit: At the bottom of the case minutes, it seems all fines etc have already been decided...
Case HEM014371 Defendant 547981 HENSON, KEITH - Fine Information

Date To Pay: 12/30/2007 First Payment: -
Prior NSF: N Payment Amount: $0.00 Last Payment: -

Fine Number Fine Type Fine Description Original Amount Paid To Date Current Due
1 GEN General Fine Distributions $3,046.00 $0.00 $3,046.00
2 CSS Court Security SurCharge $20.00 $0.00 $20.00
3 CBF CRIMINAL BOOKING FEE $110.00 $0.00 $110.00
4 RFS RESTITUTION FUND (STATE) $100.00 $0.00 $100.00
5 ACF Administrative Court Fee $35.00 $0.00 $35.00
6 TRV Trust - Victim Restitution $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
Total: $3,311.00 $0.00 $3,311.00
(sorry for the messy formatting. I just copied and pasted)

So it seems that the court has taken the minimum decision to the restitution fund ($100) but zero on "victim restitution" which is why I assume a cult initiated claim has only now been raised (mean spirited little f*ckers).
Anyway, All this is moot if an appeal throws the case out or demands a retrial.
Last edited by Sponge on Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tom_
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:13 pm
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Contact:

Post by tom_ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:02 pm

Sponge wrote:There's no info about Appeals on the Riverside court pages (as yet)
Filing of appeals can be complicated. I'm not sure about California, but in most states,
a NOTICE OF APPEAL must be filed with in a timely manner. That notice can be just a one or two pager and then a lengthy "brief" on the merrits of the case comes later. It could take quite a while.

I imagine the Riverside Courts may not have a "public" record of this until all is ajudicated at the Appelant Court level and sent back down for the lower court's official records of the said appeal.

<<<<>>>>

User avatar
Sponge
Posts: 14692
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am
Location: U.K.

Post by Sponge » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:35 pm

tom_ wrote:
Sponge wrote:There's no info about Appeals on the Riverside court pages (as yet)
Filing of appeals can be complicated. I'm not sure about California, but in most states,
a NOTICE OF APPEAL must be filed with in a timely manner. That notice can be just a one or two pager and then a lengthy "brief" on the merrits of the case comes later. It could take quite a while.

I imagine the Riverside Courts may not have a "public" record of this until all is ajudicated at the Appelant Court level and sent back down for the lower court's official records of the said appeal.

<<<<>>>>
Yeah it sounds about right, Tom. I wouldn't expect anything to appear so soon.

User avatar
tom_
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:13 pm
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Contact:

Post by tom_ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:01 pm

Sponge wrote:
tom_ wrote:
Sponge wrote:There's no info about Appeals on the Riverside court pages (as yet)
Filing of appeals can be complicated. I'm not sure about California, but in most states,
a NOTICE OF APPEAL must be filed with in a timely manner. That notice can be just a one or two pager and then a lengthy "brief" on the merrits of the case comes later. It could take quite a while.

I imagine the Riverside Courts may not have a "public" record of this until all is ajudicated at the Appelant Court level and sent back down for the lower court's official records of the said appeal.

<<<<>>>>
Yeah it sounds about right, Tom. I wouldn't expect anything to appear so soon.
I'd also add, very rarely do appellant courts hear oral arguments before a bench, but rather mostly written format limited in # number of pages allowed....say 25 or so.

Let's all hope (and pray) now that the lawyer doing this Appeal for Keith is sharp on procedural rule, case law argumentation, a significant degree of respect in the California Bar circles, and some chutzpah (kahunas) to call a spade a spade.

<<<<>>>>

ron's hat
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:27 pm

Post by ron's hat » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:37 am

tom_ wrote:
I'd also add, very rarely do appellant courts hear oral arguments before a bench,
HA! HA! That's pretty funny....better than the 'joke thread"!!!!

User avatar
tom_
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:13 pm
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Contact:

Post by tom_ » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:04 pm

ron's hat wrote:
tom_ wrote:
I'd also add, very rarely do appellant courts hear oral arguments before a bench,
HA! HA! That's pretty funny....better than the 'joke thread"!!!!
Yeah I read your "Fart in the Woods" thread. How old are you?
Out of your teens yet?

Listen bud, $cn's use of the legal system to abuse, harass, and silence people is no joke or laughing matter.

<<<>>>

Post Reply

Return to “Opinions & Debate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests