My story from my Exit Therapy

Share your personal experiences with others. We're not here to judge or criticise, but to share and support.

Moderator: Dorothy

opter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by opter » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:46 am

Oh, the curse of the stats :twisted:

I saw, at least two staff member who were frightened/terrified to get their stats too high because they didn't know how they were going to get the same stats the following week.

For instance, during school and public holidays more public could take services. Children and teen-agers could do their purification rundown or start/continue their auditing and courses and the same with adults who had some time off.
On those times stats in the academy and stats for auditing ( the purif stats are counted in the auditing stats) were usually higher.
Then, when the holidays ended the stats usually/inevitably crashed and although everybody-well at least I did- knew the reason for the stats's crash it was not accepted as a valid reason.One of the lines they -seniors- used to use was that Ron would have known how to handle it. :x
As a staff member you didn't have a reply to such a line because if you tried to contradict it, it would almost amount to mutiny.

Weiber
Your posts,describe very clearly the insanity of being on staff.
Isn't it good to write about it in the past tense? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lo

Opter

Wieber
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Wieber » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:23 am

Thanks for the encouragement. Here's another piece of the story.

The book sales on the street had stalled very badly and Jack decided we should try door to door sales. The org had this old truck that had a picture of a dianetics book painted on each side and the words, “scientology works.” We would be driven out in that truck to an area and then try selling books door to door.

The way we did that was to have a clip board with a pad of surveys on it. When the door was answered we would say we were from Scientology, leaving out the church part, and say we were doing a brief survey, and could we ask a few questions.

The questions were designed to lead to the book sale. So when the questions were finished being answered we’d get to the real purpose of the visit which was to sell a dianetics book and get a name and address for central files.

After the truck broke down, which it did soon after we started this, we would borrow cars and drive to a location.

Meantime I was doing Staff Status 1, working my way through it so I could sign my 2½ year contract. About ¾ of the way through that an order from Flag came that all staff members involved in selling had to study and word clear a book called Big League Sales Closing Techniques. This was a book written by a wog that elron had chosen as the text book for sales staff in all the orgs.

I was taken off Staff Status 1 and put on reading the sales book. This book was extremely difficult for me to read. It came in a plain ugly brown cover, had flat cheap paper and was written in a style that could only be drier in the Sahara Desert. I struggled through this and eventually got through it.

Then we had to word clear it Method 9. This works like this. The word clearer sits on one side of the table and the other person sits on the other side. Each person has a copy of the written material. The person being word cleared reads the material, while the other follows along and watches. Any time the person reading hesitates, says the wrong word, or otherwise does not read smoothly and continuously a word is found and looked up.

Doing this with a 200 page book is what I call a tedious task.

I wasn’t very good at selling dianetics books. For me it was a slog. For the other guys in the team it was a slog. None of us were very good at it. Let me just have a look at who was on the team.

Tony was a slight good looking Italian lad slightly younger than me. There were the two brothers. I’ll call them John and Henry. I can’t remember their names. John reminded me of John Sebastian from the Loving Spoonful – cool upscale hippie type with glasses, whose bridge, by the way, was paid for. Why he didn’t go to LA to get it I’ll never know. Henry had discovered he was Henry VIII in his auditing. He was slightly shorter, dark hair and had a high degree of suppressed nervous energy. Vic had gotten into Scientology out of high school. He’s very hard core. He’s still in. He’s been in for close to 30 years. His wife’s been in for almost as long. Both of them are loyal to the bone and neither of them has set foot on the upper end of the bridge. Jacques was a very tall Frenchman who wore a long grey coat most of the time. Chuck had a thin wispy brown beard and serious acne. Edward, the hippy/not-a-hippy was an individual who had long dark hair and a full moustache.

By that time Jeffrey had become Dir Clearing and Fred had left with Milly, never to return again. I have a couple more encounters with him, but if I remember I’ll get to them later. I’m trying to keep this as chronological as I can but it just isn’t perfect.

Jimmy Ellis was the executive director. He was a tall pudgy fat guy. He had glasses and thin short hair. He never changed his clothes. Every day he wore the same thing: suit jacket, white shirt, tie, beige dress casual pants. He looked sideways at everyone. He was OT III. He had a sharp manner and a penetrating deprecating style with people.

Every week there was a staff meeting. I went to two or three. Jimmy gave a pep talk. After he had finished speaking I felt completely ‘caved in.’ I felt charcoal black and hollow inside with brown paper bags full of vomit and puss floating around. Add to that a very low self esteem and you come close. So I stopped going to staff meetings.

When we were still on the street selling books, one day I ran into Fred on the street. I talked to him briefly and he said he planned on coming back to the org in the future when he had got his life more together.

I reported this to Jimmy when I got back to the org. I was trying to give him as good information as I could. I said I thought Fred’s emotional tone was anxiety or something close to that. Emile did the chop and invalidate. He interrupted with, “What do you think he would be in, serenity of beingness?” ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

There’s this thing called the tone scale in scientology. Essentially it arranges emotions on a scale and assigns numbers to them. There are 65 emotions delineated on the scale ranging from -40 to 40. I’m not writing this to explain or clarify the ‘tech.’ Since reading Barefaced Messiah I’m not so sure of it any more. ‘Tech’ by the way is short for technology. I’m assuming that if anyone ever reads this they may not have been in scientology (lucky for them) and won’t know what I’m talking about. I hope brief incomplete explanations will do.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:35 am

There are a couple of things that reading over the above came to mind but that I left out. I'll tell a bit about them here as sort of an aside.

One time the book selling team decided to go to a very upscale part of the urban community. We all did extremely well. We were ecstatic at how many books we were selling.

Then we were all rounded up by a couple of policemen in a squad car. Someone in that neighborhood reported us. We rode in the cage in the back. At the police station we were respectful and answered the questions as simply and politely as we could. The police told us we needed a license for each of us to sell door to door and that license cost something like $400 per person per year.

We had borrowed a car from one of the people at the org who was getting audited. When the police ran the plates they found there was a domestic situation with that person in another jurisdiction. The PC was PTS, know what I mean?

So that meant more talking and finally the police drove us back to where we had parked the car and we went back to the org. We didn't get yelled at but you could tell Jack was pissed.

The other thing was Fred and Milly. Several years later when I was out body routing, Fred and Milly rode by very slowly on very expensive bicycles. They smiled happily at us though they didn't make eye contact and then they rode on.

I was ticked off at them at the time. Now I think that they must have got out and got help at being out and stayed out. I hope they are still out and if they are I'm happy for them.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:16 am

So, I really wanted to get some actual auditing. The staff entrusted with bringing in the money are very helpful at getting people to find it, borrow it, obtain it in whatever means. Except they won’t take money obtained by illegal means. At least I was told that. Once or more a week I would be approached to get money for Scientology.

It finally occurred to me. My father had insurance policies for me. I could get him to cash those in. He agreed to cash one in. It yielded enough money to buy some intensives, perhaps three or four. I don’t remember the exact number. I’ll tell you this. Twelve and a half hours in the chair goes by very quickly. (In the chair is an expression used for being a PC (pee-see; preclear) in session.)

I told the registrar who later replaced Jimmy as ED my idea about the policies. Next thing I know I’m on the way home. But before I went I complained to him that I wanted to wait to get the auditing until I had signed my contract as then it would be half price. He said he would see to it that it would be delivered on that basis prior to my contract being signed. Then I was on my way. I had to handle my parent’s antagonism again.

I tell you. That is something that doesn’t go away. It’s called concern, love, caring. Your parents and relatives care about you, are concerned for your well being and love you. That’s why they stay antagonistic to Scientology. But then as a scientologist, your mind is under someone else’s control.

So I got the money, paid for the auditing and it started almost immediately. I got a part of the bridge called life repair and set ups for my drug rundown. I also did a thing called ARC straight wire. I even got some dianetics and somewhere in there I began to recall past lives. Auditing is the cocaine of Scientology. It’s fun, expensive, scarce and very much desired. No Scientologist can get enough of it.

I have observed this, among other things, about scientology: no matter how much money you give scientology, no matter how much you do for scientology, no matter how much you produce for scientology, it is always inadequate and never enough.

One thing I noticed is that people just didn’t open up. I’d approach people, say hello, introduce myself. Their attention was never on me but somewhere else and next thing you know they would drift off somewhere else.

I have found that routinely and very often, though not absolutely always the case, when it came to socializing most Scientologists are all wet. When something is wanted from you, they are the most friendly people – warm, toasty, fuzzy, loving. Then when they have the thing they want from you, that all turns off.

The other thing I’ve noticed on several occasions is that the OTs tend to run away from me, like they’re afraid of something. “Hi. How’s it going? Back from the Advanced Org I see. Went OT VII did you?”
“Yes.”
“So . . .”
“Gotta run. Bye.”
Leaves me thinking, ‘It couldn’t have been something I said ‘cause I didn’t say very much.’

The other thing I recall generally is that whenever we did get together socially all we would talk about was Scientology. It kind of reminds me of the days doing drugs when several people would get together and smoke marijuana. For the entire duration of the high we would invariably talk about how high we were.

“Whoa! Heavy grass! Man I’m so high. Talk about high. I’ve never been this high. Are you high? I’m really high. Heavy grass!” and on and on ad nauseum. What a waste of time.

Same thing happened with Scientology, only with much more intensity. We had a guy from a mission. One night he’d had enough. He yelled something like, “Shut up! Will you stop talking about Scientology? We’re up to here with it all day long and now that we’re on our own all you do is go on and on. Will you, PLEASE, talk about something else? Do you think you can do that?”

“Yes,” we said, “we can talk about something else.”

. . .

. . .

. . .

“Um . . .”

Everyone went their own separate way, and the room emptied out.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:06 am

I’m going to skip over one thing that happened because I am not ready to tell about it. I was asked by someone higher up in the organization to ‘blow’ and do some work outside the organization. I was away for a while and that’s all I need to say about that. You will have to either read between the lines or guess what that was about.

When I got back I was told I would be posted as a body router as that’s what the org needed. I dodged it then but eventually I got posted as that. A body router is the lowest and least desirable post in all of Scientology. Once you are posted there you are stuck there. No one wants to replace you. It is a job that uses a lot of energy and with the lack of funding provided in the form of pay, you eventually waste away. I was about 5’ 10” when I was routed off staff and I weighed about 130 pounds.

I’m getting ahead of myself. The day I got back, Jack had me go outside the org and body route at the front door. What a body router does is approach people on the street and get them to come into the org to take a personality test.

Chuck the bookseller was still around and selling books. I think his wife was giving him a hard time and I don’t think he was happy, though he put up a good front. His contract ended soon after and the day it did he left and didn’t come back.

There’s the other thing that keeps you in is the free loader debt. For all the services you get you have to sign a note saying you will pay for them in full if you break your contract. I believe this practice is illegal in most countries in the world. If you are in and reading this and want to leave, go to the local labour office in your area and ask them about the law concerning the free loader debt.

Then when you get out and someone acting as a collection agent from the org comes to you tell him that they must take you to court on the free loader debt issue, and until a judge orders you to pay it, you will not pay it. This is assuming that you are going to be out per the above definition. If you are only away, that is another matter.

I believe I did get assigned to body routing at that time. I must say that at that time I was very poor at doing it and I don’t recall actually bringing anyone in.

When I went to do the TRs to complete Staff Status 1, I went to do them in the basic course room. I did them with a fellow named Rick Entwistle, whom I then recruited into Div 6, though I forever after felt guilty for doing that. Rick is still in. He’s now OT IV. He does manual labor though when I knew him earlier he was a very talented musician and I think he would have had a happier life following that career.

Rick Entwistle was a natural when it came to body routing. Where I could not get anyone to talk to me, Rick was raking them in, as it were. He was so good at it that he soon got promoted to public registrar.

I got paired up with Bob Tanner. He was a better body router than I was, too. We would go out in the morning right after muster and hand out little tickets for a free personality test. Then we would come back and body route. I got very good at handing out little pieces of paper. I must have handed out hundreds of thousands of little pieces of paper for a free personality test.

I believe TRs are part of every course people take in Scientology. They were on the last course I took, the PTS-SP course. I could have signed off on them having done them before but the course supervisor insisted I do them – good student point yield don’t you know? TRs maintain the hypnotic trance. That’s why they’re on every course.

In the time I was away I managed to save about $400. A sea org registrar found out about the money and regged me for all of it. The registrar saw I had a bank book. He eyes lit up. “You have a bank account. How much money do you have in your account? Close it out and give it to me. You know you need this. It’s your future. It’s the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics.” Eventually he got it all. That left me without any money and while I was on staff I never recovered from that.

Reg is a verb. It means to be handled by a registrar to get your money. The registrar is a person who basically sells courses and auditing and who brings in the money that makes elron’s life so spectacularly fulsome. Now since a registrar gets your money, being regged has come to mean being handled in order to get something from someone else. It became used in the pejorative as in, “I think I’ll reg him for some cigarettes,” Or “Why don’t you reg her for a cup of coffee?”

The other term that became used in a similar fashion was PR. PR is short for Public Relations. In Scientology it became slang for lying or distorting the truth. An example would be, “You’re not PRing me are you?” Another would be, “What a load of PR!” Even among the brainwashed the truth came out.
Doris Lessing

opter

Post by opter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:13 am

Wieber

I love your posts!
Please keep going.

I also handed out thousands upon thousands of personality test tickets to people in the street.

When I left staff-my contract ended- I used to come and help in the org rather often.and I never agreed to hand out those personality test tickets again.

Opter

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:35 pm

I haven’t actually read this but I get the impression that the emeter is viewed as a sacred artifact and opening one up to examine or fix the innards is considered to be a blasphemy.

There was a public person who was good with electronics. He had a little bit of income producing activity going on doing maintenance of emeters. For him this was not a big deal.

We did a psychic fair once. There was a guy there with a mark I or mark II emeter. It was a great big thing. He had no knowledge, he claimed, whatsoever of Scientology. He expressed a great interest in the emeters we were using, which were mark IV or mark V. He was enthusiastic about getting his hands on one.

One of the Guardians Office people back at the org said that he should not be allowed to have the emeter that he did have. They grilled me on this, “What’s his name? Where does he live?” I think she was serious about going after the guy.

“I dunno. I didn’t ask him his name. He seemed like a nice guy.”

I wanted to go home and borrow money or get money for auditing. If you are on staff and say to the brass that you want to go home to borrow money for auditing they are more than happy to let you go. No problem then. They might have a minder go with you now.

I don’t know how much I borrowed that time. I went home and borrowed money again one other time. In all, I borrowed several thousands of dollars from my father and his business for auditing. I later paid it all back. This took about six years to do.

I came back with money for auditing. The registrar who was now the ED, concluding that I probably had good money flows asked me to be a registrar. I didn’t feel comfortable with that but it meant getting out of division six. I took him up on it. I was a lousy registrar.

As a registrar I think I brought in about $3,000 in sales for the org. Norm, the other registrar, and my senior accused me of losing some $20,000 in sales for the org. I was in the tech services area one night after closing time. The phone rang. The other div 2 registrar, not Norm, said I should get the phone. I did. It was some guy wanting to buy auditing and training and wanting a discount for quantity. From the policies I had been shown on this discounts are not given for training and auditing. I lost the sale. I am suspicious that I was set up in some way, though I can’t prove it.

Now that I’m out, I’m happy in retrospect that I wasn’t very good at anything in Scientology. I’m also very happy that the buggers never did use me for the things I do very well with. I would have a very hard time with those things now if that had been the case. But at the time this was traumatic.

I sold books. I had read all of L Ron Hubbard’s books that were available at the time. Scientology, a New Slant on Life had a chapter in it about how women belonged in the home and were by nature subservient to men. Within a year the book had been amended with that chapter removed.

My performance came under review. I was given another chance. Norm would not allow me to talk to a public person who was a local celebrity and who was a very good cash cow for him. I had very specific orders not to ever communicate with him. I did a couple of times, though and felt very guilty each time. Much later, when he had achieved OT VII he wrote a song for staff. My opinion then was and still is now that the song sucked. That person has done some very good creative things since getting out. I hope he stays out.

So the ED finally asked me what I wanted to do. I said I would take on the night watchman job every night and while doing that would clean the org. My reasoning for this and that I stated was that staff would no longer be off in rotation, and that they would have more time for their post as they would not have to spend as much time on their cleaning stations. What I didn’t say was that I could spend nights on this job, not have to worry about stats and to do that until my contract expired.

There are a couple of things that need explaining. The org was never locked at any of the entrances. A staff member was always in the building. This night watchman job was issued to contracted staff on rotation. After doing that the staff member was allowed to go home and sleep the next day until some time in the afternoon. I believe now that this had something more to do with inducing sleep deprivation and screwing up a person’s stats on a rotating basis.

By the way, in my opinion, the abuses of Scientology are intrinsic to the writings of L Ron Hubbard. Looking back I firmly believe that no amount of reform will change that entity into anything that even resembles benign.

A typical day on staff goes something like this. This is from my time there. It may have altered slightly since then, but I don’t believe it has changed much. Everyone arrives in the morning. Some staff come late, but anyone arriving after roll call starts gets a chit and often has to do amends. The ED or other designated staff does roll call. That person calls the name of each staff from a list. The staff member says, “Here.” The roll caller says, “good,” and goes onto the next name. Then there’s a pep talk with ronitudes. Then there’s exercises. Then someone does Chinese school.

Elron disdained Chinese people; referred to them as chinks; like the word wog, which he applied to anyone not yet a Scientologist. Chinese school went like this: a person with a pointer would go over something on a chart or that could be read by the staff. He or she would point at a word or phrase and say it very loudly. Everyone else would repeat that very loudly. Doing this the list would be repeated a number of times. Later on the instructor pointing would just point and the staff would say the word or phrase.

There is a lot of stuff that was gone through in this way over the time I was there. Things that were gone over in Chinese school were the org board, the conditions, the awareness levels, the tone scale and so on.

After Chinese school we did cleaning stations. Each staff cleaned an assigned thing in their department’s area. Then we had a muster with our division. This was followed with a muster for the division. Then we went on post. We did post until lunch. After lunch more post until the end of the day. Then we ate supper. After supper we came back only now we were working in the foundation org. Once again, roll call, then very quick musters then back to work on post until closing time at 9 p.m.

More often than not there would be other “duties” to perform after closing time. The dreaded monthly all hands mail out was one of those things. Other things would involve extra letter writing, special cleaning assignments, and other activities requiring all hands. None of this stuff was credited to the staff members in any way but it was required.

Every month an org magazine was produced. This consisted of generic material sent by a higher org. That material was cut and pasted along with additional material specifically concerning the local org. This was printed on two or three sheets of paper of different colours. Inserts and other brochures were also obtained and prepared. Enough copies of all this stuff was made to send to all the names in central files (CF).

At the time there were probably six or seven thousand names in CF. There were 70 to 100 staff. The raw material was divided up among the staff. It was the job of each staff member to assemble the pages and fold them into booklets, add the inserts, put the stuff into envelopes and then lick and seal each envelope. Higher ups could get out of this. The rest of us had to put together 70 to 100 of these things before being allowed to go home and this after putting in a 12 hour day.
Doris Lessing

Snow White

Post by Snow White » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:38 am

If you're going home to get money the reg will call you on the hour every hour asking you if you've got it now (at least that's what they'd do with me). They'll call you on all your numbers.

One thing, I noticed was all the 'PTS handlings' people would be doing for having borrowed thousands from their parents. Yet, when in regging 'cycles' you were encouraged to get the money from wherever you could - you were never admonished for borrowing from parents by any reg, especially IAS regs.

Gotta go now. Might post more later.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:07 pm

At another time I had gone home to borrow money. I had just persuaded my father to lend me the money, when the registrar called to check. Because of the call my father reversed his decision and didn't loan me the money.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:17 pm

I was made a div 2 registrar. I was teamed up with Jana Duncan. I quite liked Jana Duncan for all the wrong reasons: pretty face, pretty voice, nice figure, laughed a lot. Man she was a mess. I think she eventually “got it” and got out, though. I really hope she did.

She was my senior but not by much. She would ask a question and if she didn’t get the answer she wanted she wouldn’t acknowledge. This is “out-tech.” Per the tech you are supposed to acknowledge an answer to a question and per the tech “I don’t know” is an answer. I suppose along those lines, “I don’t give a ****” would also be an answer.

So she’d ask things like “do you have Joe Schwarz’s phone number?” If I gave her the number she’d acknowledge, but if I said “I don’t know,” she’d just walk away. If I had been a good scientologist I would have ‘KRed’ her. (A couple things here in reverse: there never was a guy named Joe Schwarz that I knew about back then. KR is short for knowledge report. When someone does something out tech or out ethics or suspect or whatever or not but you are in some doubt about it you are to write a knowledge report and send a copy to ETHICS! If you don’t do that you are OUT ETHICS!)

I can see how the knowledge report thing would and did instill a phobia per Steven Hassan. I think it takes a long time for a person getting out of scientology to get over the phobia trigger of the word ethics or any of its derivatives, such as “ethical.”

While we are talking about psychology, that branch of healing is governed by a code of ethics. I believe psychiatry is too. Let me just go check. Ah yes, each of those practices has an ethical code of conduct. First item for psychology is, “Psychologists strive to benefit those with whom they work and take care to do no harm.” First item for psychiatry is, “1. Consider first the well-being of the patient.”

PR agents of scientology and its front group, Citizen’s Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) rail against psychiatry and psychology and accuse them incessantly of criminal behavior. Yet those two fields are regulated by government rules and agencies, where scientology and its satellite organizations are not. It would be interesting to survey the population at large to see if the citizens are in agreement with commissioning the so named organization.

Back to Jana Duncan . . . When I started as a registrar, the first thing I did was to try to get comfortable in the tiny and badly laid out space I was assigned to. I was sitting there attempting to get my bearings, get comfortable in the space and orient myself with the job at hand. However, doing those things appears, I guess, unproductive. Jan would impinge on me with, “Wieber, what are you doing right now?” I could not stop for three seconds without her pulling that on me. This would occur seven, eight, ten times, or more, a day. This is a brain washing technique that is used on prisoners under interrogation. Jana would probably be hurt if I told her that.

One day the fellow who fixed the emeters arrived at the org in his car, an older model that had clearly seen better days. “Oh, look!” cried Jana, “Joe has a car!”

“So?” I said.

“So, he can sell it and give us the money.”

Some time soon after I noticed that Joe no longer arrived at the org in his car. I don’t know if he sold it or if he decided to park it where mercenary division 2 personnel would not see it.

Rick gave me a list of “clients.” I like to refer to him in retrospect as Rick Schmick, and yes that is disrespectful. It’s intended to be. Rick gave me this list of people with their phone numbers. He told me they were all good prospects and I should contact them and get them to come in to buy courses.

In actuality what Rick Schmick did was unload his junk prospects on me. I believe he did not want any competition interfering with his lucrative income. After all he was getting a 1% commission on his sales. That’s what registrars in scientology earn for their efforts. They get 1% commission on their sales and no units. For every $1,000 of services they sell they get $10. Oh, there’s some kind of bonus thing for high production but it’s still a load.

Every day for about three weeks I phoned the people on Rick’s list. See that’s the thing. You’re always supposed to be doing something. You can’t take a break. The other thing that this is supposed to do is be magic outflow. The ronitudes are “outflow is better than inflow,” and “inflow equals outflow.” The idea is that if you outflow you will inflow. Oh, another ronitude that applies here is, “quantity is better than quality.” The other concept going on is be-do-have. So you have to be doing something all the time in order to have and you have to outflow in order to inflow. The upshot of all this is here I was day after day phoning a lot of people that fit in two or three categories: a) out of scientology and not happy to be receiving a phone call from me wanting to sell them more of same, b) out of scientology and really pissed off and angry at receiving a phone call from me, c) in scientology but no longer having any cash, credit or assets to go any further with it.

Meantime Rick keeps telling me that “when you get hatted . . .” but never giving me the opportunity to go on course to study the hat.

Some explanation is in order here. Every scientologist on staff has a hat. A hat is the material that the staff member needs to know to be able to do the job that they have been posted to. The hat also includes the duties of the post. Ugh!

Now that I’m out I’m kind of glad I didn’t get to study as much of the tech as I would have liked at the time. It means less for me to unlearn. Though at the time it bothered me considerably that I was being denied the bridge. But, hey, there’s no bridge – true.
Doris Lessing

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:38 pm

Excellent thread, Wieber. Please continue.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:36 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'mglib. Personally I don't see how you find all this stuff interesting, but here's some more of it.

I cut one story because it was too unique, but offer the bare bones of it. After that you will find me rambling a bit.

We had an event at which certain people in the organization would be performing musically. One of the women on staff was discovered to be particularly talented and was selected as a soloist.

About a week after the event in which this woman just about brought down the house, she received a committee of evidence and was declared an SP and routed off staff with a big freeloader debt. Of course, the committee of evidence was held off until after the performance.

There was a guy on staff back then. He was a likeable guy, who had been posted to mimeo. Mimeo is short for mimeograph, which is a type of machine for making copies of things. Nowadays you use a photocopier. At that time photocopy technology was a little bit away yet. This person was always getting commendations from the Assistant Guardian and other Guardian’s Office staff. He left, or blew or something but came back later. He’s still in as far as I know.

He told me later that when he was in mimeo, whenever he got a request from the Guardian’s Office he would take whatever he was working on off the machine, fill the Guardian’s Office request right away and hand deliver it. This was good for a commendation every time. Commendations are a highly desired thing in scientology as they help, though not very much, in keeping the ethics officer away.

There was another person who was a very large, morbidly obese, sad sack of a man. (Morbidly obese is not a put down, but a medical term. When someone is morbidly obese they are at a very high risk of dying soon.) This guy was doing the HQS course when I was doing the HAS course. Hubbard Qualified Scientologist course. That course has all the stuff in the HAS course plus dissemination material and an auditing process called op pro by dup, short for opening procedure by duplication. I never did that so you’ll have to go elsewhere for detail on it.

This person had been around for a while I surmised. He seemed to know quite a bit about what was going on and was quite dedicated (almost) to the cause. He had done some expanded dianetics. Expanded dianetics is a form of dianetics that deals with evil purposes. From what I understand people get expanded dianetics when they have a rock slam. A rock slam is a specific emeter manifestation that indicates the presence of evil purposes.

The overweight guy was treated like a DB by most of the org personnel. DB is short for degraded being. Homeless people you find all dirty, toothless and begging on the street are considered to be DBs. Treating someone like a DB means, essentially, shunning them. This guy could blow scientology any time he wanted to and no one would care. I made friends with him. When I was a registrar I approached him to see about his training. He very skillfully dodged me.

I may be repeating myself, but that’s OK. I was doing the night watchman, janitor thing for awhile. Everything was going pretty well then entropy took the toilets out. I was told to fix them. I didn’t have a clue. If they got fixed I had nothing to do with it.

Part of my job was cleaning the toilets in both washrooms. When you’re a janitor it’s your job to go in both washrooms. I was in the women’s washroom cleaning the floor. One of the younger women, lower on the totem pole (I mean org board) came in one time. I said I’d wait outside. “Oh no problem; I’ll go in here and shut the door. You go on with your cleaning it doesn’t bother me.”

Later, like on another day, I was in there cleaning the floor. One of the women from higher up in tech division and an OT came in. “Get out! Now! Now! Now! Now! What are you doing in here?” Maybe she thought I was doing a lower condition.

Sometimes the people picking up the shit are doing that because it’s their job and not because someone has said they were criminal.

I spent about three weeks or maybe a month and a half doing the night shift and cleaning the org. No stats to worry about; regular pay; no one bothering me much. Then a program from Flag arrived at the org.

One of the items on the program was to put me back on post as a registrar; actually named me. In Scientology you get an order from Flag, you comply. That’s all there is to it. Elron says, “jump,” you don’t ask how high, you just jump and hope it’s high enough.

I get back to registrar land. Within a week someone in HCO ordered a review of my performance. The consensus was, “useless but willing.”

One day, I was told to do an interview with an individual. I went in the office with this guy. He was some kind of mental case; he was in really bad shape. This is the kind of guy that scientology doesn’t want anywhere near the premises because they actually need help. He went on about different things he had read from different schools of philosophy, religion and psychology. He was on a complete spin. Finally I got him out of there. The other guys in the registrar squad had been listening in and laughing their intestines out.

We had two guys on basic courses who were routed to me on completion of their communication course or whatever basic course they had taken. I had just read an HCO PL by elron that said people will be coming off services wanting more. Elron said that. Everything elron wrote is absolutely true.

The first guy that was routed to me after completing his course was involved in the higher echelons of Baha’i, some kind of Persian religion that encourages its followers to look at other faiths. So he had done the communication course and didn’t want any more. He was going back to Baha’i. Nothing I could say could persuade him otherwise. So I shook his hand, wished him luck in his future and said goodbye to him.

Hardly thirty seconds went by after he left before I was being severely chewed out for letting him go.

Shortly after that another guy was routed to me from completing a basic course. This guy didn’t want any more Scientology as he was dedicated to Eckankar and was going back to it. I asked him about Eckankar. It was founded by Eck master, Paul Twitchel and on and on. I’m not making this up. So this guy wouldn’t sign up for another service and try as I might he left. I think he walked out on me in mid sentence.

Again, hardly thirty seconds later I was being chewed out for letting him go.

Eckankar I found out recently is listed by Scientology as one of their enemies. Scientology has many enemies. Many of them have assaulted me when I was a scientologist. Eckankar had a booth at a psychic fair we had a booth at. Eckankar has a lot of similarities to scientology. Apparently Paul Twitchel knew elron as a personal friend. Eckankar even has a grade chart. Theirs is much prettier as it is in many colours.

One of the frustrating things in getting into Scientology was to discover all the other cults. Here’s a partial list: Process, Krishna, Moonies, Christian Cults, Jehovah’s Witness, Christian Science, Mormons, Eckankar, Est. As far as I can tell the Process Church of the Final Judgement, Est and Eckankar are cults that were set up by people who had been in scientology earlier. All these groups, I find out on reading Steven Hassan’s books, operate in the same manner as scientology. All of them fit the BITE model of destructive cults and all of them have the 8 characteristics of a group that practices mind control. (BITE – has to do with control of Behavior, Information, Thought and Emotion.)

For those in any one of these groups, the other groups are all hated. However, right now the org of scientology is involved in a multi faith thingy. Turns out the faiths involved in this multi faith thingy are Unification Church, ISKON (Hare Krishna), the Way and others, all of which are identified as destructive cults by Steven Hassan and others.

Recently scientology has taken to using the term, apostate. In the seventies that word was never used. Back then we considered that scientology was the truth and the way and the other groups were cults. We didn’t like them because they were competition to what we were doing and recruiting the raw public who were the ones we would be able to help.

The Krishna group got enough money together to buy an old church. They lived together in it and had sufficient wherewithal to feed themselves. So at least they were better off than we were in that they got to eat and had a roof over their heads.
Doris Lessing

opter

Post by opter » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:21 am

Wieber

Like I'mglib I also find this thread to be excellent and fascinating.

Opter

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:43 pm

I was in the org late one night working on some of the people Rick and the other reges considered to be losers. I said something about thinking of doing something and then putting it off, but I should have done it when I was thinking of it, or some such. I can’t remember exactly what wisdom I was spouting; didn’t even think of it as wisdom. Anyway one of the guys gets all enthusiastic like he’s having a major cognition. He decides he’s going home to Florida and get money for his bridge. (The flag land base did not exist yet, when this happened.)

Next day, he’s gone, just like that. “Where did Abe go?” I explained. They were disappointed. They said he’d end up at the Florida org and the Florida org would get his money. Orgs compete. At least they did then. Abe didn't come back.

While working as a registrar I came to the conclusion that the problem I had was that most of the scientologists were on staff. This was the case to the degree that there were very few people left who were not staff to whom you could sell services. The ones that were left were people who didn’t have money or had other characteristics disqualifying them from getting services, which also disqualified them from being on staff.

There was one girl who had completed her basic course and wanted to be an auditor, but didn’t have the money. A sea org member and I worked to figure out how she could get the money to buy the courses. This took a lot of talking and suggestions and running back and forth. Along with this there was scribbling notes and numbers and formulas on several sheets of paper. The ultimate solution: join staff – good for the recruiter, not for the registrar.

One of the things that was done a lot was to get people to join staff and promise them that they would go into training to be an auditor. Then when the person had finished staff status 1 and signed their contract, guess what? “Oh we’re in desperate need to fill this administrative post over here and you know the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics, don’t you?” It’s called bait and switch. Scientology is a master of this.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:03 pm

I'm off the narrative in this entry. This is more of an essay. When I was originally writing this stuff it was a way of externalizing it so I wouldn't have to keep thinking about it. What follows is very open to debate, and like everything in my exit therapy it is my opinion and only my opinion.

One of the core items in scientology is the third party law. Just about everything Elron wrote was a decree or included a decree that this is the way it is and this is the only way it is. This isn’t the case with what is true for you is what’s true, oddly enough.

You look at dianetics – the single source of aberration – the engram, which later is replaced or supplanted with the body thetan. As you study the “tech,” and when I say “tech” in quotes I’m including elron’s entire cult output, you find this characteristic occurs over and over. ‘This is the one and only reason or cause of this particular phenomenon, and there is no other reason than that one. I have spoken.’ I put that in a single quote to show that isn’t exactly what was said.

One thing I noticed in Elron’s lectures is that he would start a train of thought or the pursuit of an idea and then abandon it, go somewhere else and never get back to where he was going with the first train of thought. Sometimes he starts a sentence, pauses and then starts a new idea and doesn’t ever come back to that half sentence to finish it. Sometimes he sets out with a proposition and then breaks it off and never comes back to it. I’m just wondering if this is a hypnotic technique.

The other thing that comes to mind is that in the tapes of the events with the bigwigs the presentations are rife with ronitudes and each of those is punctuated with elaraitch! Bigwigs always include David Miscavige and then an assortment of other higher ups. At one event Mike Rinder was introduced. A comment from one of the opinion leaders in the org was, “Hey, Mike Rinder’s back. I like him.”

Back to the third party law. The third party law, Elron claims, is the single source of all human conflict including wars. (The single and only reason why people leave scientology is because they have overts on it. Ugh! It just goes on and on. (In scientology an overt is defined as a contra survival act either by commission or omission.)) There is a policy, actually a whole series of policies, on the third party law. Like I said this is one of the core items in scientology.

The third party law states that when a conflict arises it happens because a third party is setting the two people in conflict against each other. The third party says bad things about each of the two others in order to bring about conflict. As an example we’ll take Fred, John and Mike. Fred would say to John, “Mike thinks you’re a toad.” Then he would say to Mike, “John say’s you’re an asshole.” Then Mike and John would fight and Fred would get the girl.

All wars stem from this according to Elron. So I looked and looked and looked and looked at World War II to see if I could find the third party. According to the third party law the third party doesn’t enter into the conflict but causes it and benefits from it. By the way, Elron never gave any examples of any wars and named the third party.

That’s another thing that comes up lacking in Elron’s writings and lectures. Examples of things in actuality are rarely presented. If you examine dianetics there are examples given but they are made up and not based on any actual situation. As a matter of fact my recollection of Elron’s writings and lectures is that most examples cited were hypothetical and not based on any actual occurrence. Having said that, I must qualify it. I haven’t read all of Elron’s writings and I haven’t listened to all his lectures.

In reading about mind control and how that works and how destructive cults like the unification church (moonies), mormons, jehovah’s witnesses, amway, etc. work I have come to the conclusion that the activity of mind control applied to people in the manner of a destructive cult may well be contributory to most major conflicts.

One of the characteristics of a destructive cult is a charismatic leader who holds and dispenses all authority. Now in a single same breath let me list off a number of such individuals: Mao Tse Tung, Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, L. Ron Hubbard, Sun Myung Moon, Osama Bin Laden, and Saddam Hussein.

Could it be that the so called third party law may not be the single and only source of human conflict? Could it be possible that the action of destructive cults has been a contributing factor to many of the major conflicts (wars) in the world?

First there is the use of hypnosis and other mind control techniques applied to unsuspecting victims to turn them into agents of the charismatic leader. Once put through the mind control process the people coming out on the other ends of product of it will then do things they would never have contemplated when in control of their own minds.

Now you have a person who will strap dynamite to his chest and detonate it in a crowd of innocent people. Now you have a person who will sacrifice himself by flying an airplane into a building. Now you have a person who will spend hours on the street selling books or begging for money. Now you have a person who will empty out their bank account and work for slave wages. Now you have a person who will put families into a chamber and inject it with poison. Now you have a person who will run through the fields and behead intellectuals with a shovel.

Source. Yes, but source of what? Misery, suffering, poverty, enslavement, starvation, collapse of families, racism, elitism, authoritarianism, humorlessness? Those are all things that come about from the application of the writings of L. Ron Hubbard that are collectively known as Scientology. Greatest good for the greatest number? I don’t think so.
Doris Lessing

Return to “Your story from inside Scientology”