One opened, more to come!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: What Have You Done?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:36 am 

I have written to both my Senators and my congressman and asked them to investigate human rights abuses by the Co$ and to question the religious status of this BUSINESS.

I intend to write them letters regularly on this topic, as I do about the war in Iraq and the human rights violations that are going on in Darfur.

Cheers,

Smitty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:50 am 

I've quit working for both Scientologists'-run companies I've worked for many many years each.

Granted, I've always been a token wog but taking my professional input out of a Scientology based company has been, at least, personally liberating.

ETA: That really hasn't "done" anything. Sorry, don't mean to be off topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:09 am 

I have protested, written letters and most importantly spent many of evening communing with Flying Spaghetti Monster in order to discern his noodly wisdom on the matter

-- Thomas Jefferson, to James Madison, 1788. ME 7:98

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:18 am 

Lots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 pm 

I sat my daughter's boyfriend down and had a long talk about what Scientology really is when I found out he'd been talking to someone on campus. He brought that back to his friends and they all promptly stopped hanging with that particular guy.

This was two weeks ago. Scared the HELL out of me, but I'm glad he mentioned it during his visit and I was able to enlighten him a bit on the subject. I'm sure you all understand how glad I am.

Edit: I just noticed the subtitle of "legal status". This was more a personal story. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:01 pm 

Not as much as I should of but I think I had a part in getting a Narconon closed.

Atheist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:31 pm 

Wrote a letter to Jackie Speier (new CongressCritter for the district just to the south of me here in San Francisco, also the former aide to Leo Ryan - she was shot five times by members of the People's Temple and left overnight on the tarmac in Guyana to die.)

Plan to visit her local office when it's set up and speak with her staffers soon regarding the tax exempt status of Scientology, and CoS human rights abuses, such as the RPFs in California, and forced abortion via intimidation in the Sea Org.

Jackie is inclined to listen regarding organized cult activities, and has a history of standing strong alone if she feels the cause is worthwhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:21 pm 

Written letters to the SP Times. My newspaper is a bigga SP in CoS' book. I've been annoyed with them recently for not really jumping into the fray, but I haven't lost faith. I think they are waiting for something big to finally break, then they will be in all the way like they were for Lisa McPherson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 pm 

I have written and deleted several posts to you Smitty. This thread "restimulates" me.

"What have you done."

What are you, the "Product Officer"?

If you think something needs to be done, get it done.

I don't consider it any of your business what I do, and making public what people are doing serves no one but OSA.

"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:59 pm 

soy milkman wrote:
I've quit working for both Scientologists'-run companies I've worked for many many years each. Granted, I've always been a token wog but taking my professional input out of a Scientology based company has been, at least, personally liberating. ETA: That really hasn't "done" anything. Sorry, don't mean to be off topic

FWIW: that certainly IS something, IMO... that's voting with your feet. Changing jobs isn't easy, and ceasing your input into their endeavor is a definite positive step in this fight: you stopped helping them, and I say good on ya for that.

Me? I just picket, and eat cake... someone has to...

Thinking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:01 pm 

I got their ads yanked from a local free newspaper we have. I e-mailed the editor with a link to this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:11 pm 

I wrote to Dr. Alan E. Kazden, reigning president of the American Psychiatric Association, and invited him and a contingent of his peeps to join us at the last picket. I even designed a sign for him:

Sadly, Dr. Kazden did not respond to my offer, but I have no regrets for the time spent chuckling quietly to myself in its making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:51 pm 

What have I done?

NOT A DAMN THING. :( I need to change this! :D

I'm glad to see this, because even though I do protest, talk to people I know about the dangers of Scientology, etc., I really should step it up a bit. Our local gov't officials routinely leave pre-recorded messages on my telephone; I think I'm going to either call or write some letters!

“...the injuries that {Hubbard} handled by the use of Dianetics procedures were never handled, because they were injuries that never existed; therefore, Dianetics is based on a lie; therefore, Scientology is based on a lie.” --Tommy Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:55 pm 

Made a warning sticker to be placed on scio books..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:02 pm 

Ladybird wrote:
I have written and deleted several posts to you Smitty. This thread "restimulates" me.

"What have you done."

What are you, the "Product Officer"?

If you think something needs to be done, get it done.

I don't consider it any of your business what I do, and making public what people are doing serves no one but OSA.

Smitty is a person who lost a friend to Scientology in the seventies, and who joined this board because he wanted to assist me in thinking of ways to get Scientology abolished and help Scientologists in general. This is his frame of reference, and he is coming from a good place in this post.

People are expending a lot of energy on this board engaging in counterproductive activities which actually serve OSA in our OPINION- such as adopting the image of anonymous and interfering in Scientology activities. There are many other ways of moving the cause forward. That is what Smitty is attempting to explore on this thread. He did in fact do what he said he did, which is what he believes will succeed if good numbers of people also do it. But there are other ways of moving forward. Just because he doesn't agree with one, doesn't mean he is against the others.

Having these opinions does not make us OSA, any more than NOT having them makes YOU OSA- nevertheless, if I wanted to, I could build a great case that anonymous works for OSA and that people who follow them are getting sucked into a trap. I could use this as an ad hom to discredit the movement, but I don't. I express my differing opinion while respecting that you and others don't agree.

Our common ground is that nobody differs on the opinion that Scientology must be stopped, but there is a lot of infighting and namecalling on this board because people disagree how best to do that.

In the above post, you attempt to discredit Smitty by implying that he is a Scientologist or somehow serving Scientology. Well, he is neither, but maybe it is convenient for you to suggest these things.

Perhaps the discomfort you feel is because you are going down a path Smitty and I feel is counterproductive and you don't have a good argument against our position. I would feel uncomfortable if I were defending a stance that was illogical.

Instead of ad homming Smitty, why don't you address the issues we bring point by point?

Or perhaps throw in some of the good ideas you had about what to do and discuss some of the things you have done or want to do.

That is what this thread was started for, as far as I can tell.

Love,

Os

The latest fave video- a blast from the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxOmrS6uqVM