Mary DeMoss Panton's Blog

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
PTS

Mary DeMoss Panton's Blog

Post by PTS » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 pm

What If The World Was Watching?

http://marypanton.wordpress.com/
I have behaved badly myself and had it documented on camera and spread across you tube where it will live forever. Of course, at the time I believed wholeheartedly in what I was doing and never even contemplated that a picket on a street corner in a small town would live internationally and gain me such notoriety. I thought it was some kind of small-time joke. But time has a way of giving you perspective. I would never want to be treated the way I treated those picketers. And I don’t want to live in a world where that is how we solve our differences.
Liber Et Audax

TheEvilOfScientology

Post by TheEvilOfScientology » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Is that for real? :shock:

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:04 pm

I woke up to this! I sure hope it is true. She looks 100 x's better, she must be out.

Hurry, someone tell WBM.

TheEvilOfScientology

Post by TheEvilOfScientology » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:06 pm

If it's real, we're late to the party. It was posted at the beginning of December last year!

PS: I already sent a PM to WBM :)

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 pm

I just spent the last half-hour reading her blogs. She ain't out.

Her full blog article is called "What If The World Was Watching?"
http://marypanton.wordpress.com/2008/11 ... -watching/
(QFT; emphasis is mine) wrote:What If The World Was Watching?
By: Mary Panton

Ever get the sneaking suspicion that someone is watching you so you sit up a little straighter, smile a little broader and generally upgrade your manners across the boards?

The internet has become a sort of 24/7 watchdog on our culture. I think its a good thing and a bad thing. Anything you do or say in a single moment can live forever on the net. People report back on your behavior at a party, replete with uploaded mobile photos to evidence the occasion. I read an article in the paper this week about a website on college campuses devoted to rumors, gossip and rants that is growing rapidly in popularity. Juicycampus.com describes itself as free speech but CNN did a piece on the fear and panic it is striking into the students on campus. On the surface it just seems wrong. But then I had another thought; what if all this web-exposure causes us to take that extra precaution and behave decently, like our grandparents did in the old days? What if the very poison of having yourself exposed on the web is the medicine we need to stop the moral decay of our culture?

I have behaved badly myself and had it documented on camera and spread across you tube where it will live forever. Of course, at the time I believed wholeheartedly in what I was doing and never even contemplated that a picket on a street corner in a small town would live internationally and gain me such notoriety. I thought it was some kind of small-time joke. But time has a way of giving you perspective. I would never want to be treated the way I treated those picketers. And I don’t want to live in a world where that is how we solve our differences.

But the fact remains that having your behavior monitored does force you to behave better. And that is true of our government as well. There are websites popping up all over the net where the downtrodden can vent their grievances. One example is the justice4kids site. Cathy Corry is a mom and regular Joe just like you and I. She saw something wrong with the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) and tried for the life of her to straighten it out. When she found no joy in simply relaying the abuses in the system to her government officials, she resorted to creating a website to act as a Watchdog. If you want to know how successful that is…know this; the DJJ goes to her website daily to find out if kids are dying or abused or if guards are reporting abuses anonymously. And in order to avoid another shakeup inside their department, they act quickly to right whatever wrongs are legitimately exposed.

A People’s Watchdog DOES work. We just need more of them and better organization. Think about it…we are millions strong and our government officials are a small minority.

Small as they are, however, they feel no pressure to behave. Have you ever tried to get a meeting with your congressman? Maybe in six months he will squeeze you in for a 2 minute meeting. They are so far removed from our control that we the people simply give up. And then every few decades we rise up in hope and think that our vote on election day will bring us a leader who will clean up the system. Sadly, this will never work because there is a missing ingredient in our democratic experiment…the People’s Lobby, a watchdog level of management made up of the rest of us who aren’t elected.

I think we need to reinstate the draft…not for war but for a tour of duty in mid-level management in our democracy. A watchdog made up of the rest of the people who will look over the shoulder of our agencies and report back on what they find. Can you imagine the frenzy our officials would be in if this were to happen? In our current system, the only pressure they ever feel is from a lobbyist sitting in the gallery watching over them when it comes time to vote on the bills at hand. The media used to act as a kind of watchdog, but they have failed us miserably with their own brand of partisanship and tacit agreement to manufacture the news instead of reporting on the very real issues at hand. The mainstream media has failed so miserably at reporting the truth that the internet has become the eyes and ears of our culture, our society and of the world.

The specter of a whole new set of eyes watching over our employees in the government…it sounds downright hopeful.

People are willing enough to pay taxes. We want our streets safe and our schools full and our boarders protected. We are willing to pay. Now we need to ask ourselves if we are willing to initiate a kind of civil participation in the use of those taxes.

I wonder, would you participate in a People’s Lobby? - Mary Panton
Interesting article. It does give you a glimpse into what CofS and CCHR will be up to next.

Watch out for more Scientology PR and front groups under the guise of "democracy", "watch dogs" and "human rights".
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

Jeff Jacobsen

Post by Jeff Jacobsen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:30 pm

What an amazing find! As one of the people that Mary went after in Clearwater, I did not find her behavior "a small-time joke." I saw it as representational of what the other Scientologists were doing to us. Just look at the Mad Picket video and tell me that only Mary was acting that way.

http://www.xenutv.com/pickets/mad.htm

It wasn't just one person doing things that she would later regret because it wound up online forever. It was an orchestrated strategy by the OT Committee to pressure us into not picketing.

Is she still in Scientology? Has she learned that much, or just enough not to get caught misbehaving on video?

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 pm

And she is a lobbyist. This is under "about"

Most recently, I’ve been a lobbyist in the Florida legislature and that has taught me the most about civilized discourse, how to propose a new idea and educate people about those ideas.

I quess those "ideas" would be scientology in nature?
Last edited by daisy on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEvilOfScientology

Post by TheEvilOfScientology » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 pm

You think so SH?
Don't you think the CoS would have some objections to the reconciliatory way she wrote that? Seems she's disagreeing with the way the cult handles protesters.

EDIT
: I just read your edited post SH. Maybe it could be a bit of PR. I think this needs to be looked into some more.

julenissen222

Post by julenissen222 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Wow, what a looser she is.
First she manage to tell us that she is sorry that she was videotaped during her picketsbehavior and dont want that to happend to anybody else. But then she continues to promote just about every frontgroup of CO$ there is.

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Mary was exterior to Scientology as I reported. She was not declared, but she was at home for a long time after a serious face ripping by the Cult. I posted this on March 25, 2008:

viewtopic.php?t=26447

May 5, 2008, Patty P. posted:
Mary DeMoss Panton is not blown. She was at the Florida State
Capital in the past two weeks doing work for CCHR.
ref: viewtopic.php?t=27281&postorder=asc&hig ... ary+demoss

The time delay is telling. Patty P. needed to wait almost six weeks to post. This could have been the time gap when CoS got Mary on a program to get her back on lines. In any case, it is now January 30, 2008 -- nine months since Patty P. claimed that Mary was back in. Why has Mary been silent and off the radar for nine months if she got back in? Was she doing her program? BTW, the GOOG search where I find Mary in CCHR dates back to 2006. This is a prelim search.

Without giving away too much backchannel, Mary got busted and went home. My post caused a huge flap because CoS wanted to know who leaked the news to me. The thing is that Mary was a big player. When she got busted, the people who put her head on a pike probably bragged to their friends that they took down a player. Flag knew that Mary was in limbo at home and then the news spread to PAC. Internally, Scientology is a Gossip Machine full of natter and leaks and the big get even. That is why DM has to keep this big ethics apparatus going. He has to babysit all of these pissed off people who get banky and natter.

As to dox, here is my policy: Go leak all of the Course, Tech, and Admin manuals you want, I don't care. My point: Protect Humint. Protect people and leak manuals and polices. OSA can't harm manuals and policies. I don't see anyone would offer dox that would put people in danger. I suggest that WWP re-think its standards and differentiate between posting dox that cause no one to get harmed and withholding any sort of evidence that would cause people harm. Certainly, we all must accept and analyze Humint critically. I never expect my work to go unchallenged. I post knowing full well that it will be subject to extreme scrutiny. I accept the objections and criticism that go with what I do. We need a lot of people looking at everything because the more set of eyeballs we have the better. But to ask for dox on Humint to be posted publicly only plays into OSA's hands. The point is this: Have one standard for Humint. Subject it to analysis and scrutiny. Have another standard for dox. Differentiate the two accordingly.

/////
Last edited by J. Swift on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

RB

Post by RB » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:33 pm

Hmmmm... I'm reading this stuff and I'm confused. Like WBM, Mary has always been one of my favorite Co$ers. I just can't tell if she's blown or not, or if she left and came back as was rumored, or what!

The rumors began to surface a long time ago, so maybe she's still coming out?? Just read her "Honeymoon" post, in which she says:
I already knew we could make it. I just didn’t know about the conversations he was having with his people. They got to weigh-in, pass judgement, strike fear into my Doc, to the point of no return. It was the second biggest betrayal of my life.
Could the biggest be something to do with Co$???

Patty Pieniadz

Post by Patty Pieniadz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:40 pm

After looking over the blog it's hard to tell if Mary is OUT, or just keeping a low profile.

Honestly, my first impression on reading her blog is that she is out of Scn. But it's hard to tell. She says she is lobbyist for the Florida State legislature, but doesn't say who she's lobbying for. She could still be working for OSA/CCHR, but again, it's hard to tell.

Anyway, I do hope she's out.

As for JSwifts comment:

The time delay is telling. Patty P. needed to wait almost six weeks to post.
Remove your tinfoil hat and stop making up stuff Swift. I didn't need to wait 6 weeks to post this information. When I was told the information, (six weeks after your post) I reported it. You lie way to easily.
Education is not a hate crime.
http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/pieniadz1.html

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:44 pm

I suspect the scientology rumor mill was something that L. Ron created and pushed. Then he denied it with things like, "if it isn't in writing it isn't true," and "there is no hidden data line."

I could be wrong, but if they are not antagonistic to you, sit down and chat with just about any sea organization member on a mission to an "org" and they will tell you all kinds of juicy tidbits. They're supposed to convey by rumor things like, "in court, scientology has never lost a case," "when people leave scientology bad things happen to them," "here are a few examples of the most amazing wins people have had at flag," and so on.

Since this control mechanism isn't from policy and is officially denied it becomes devilishly hard to control and very hard to stop. So willy-nilly you get leaks. As one of the posters here has said, "suck it scientology."
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

grathuln

Demoss, a scilon or not a scilon, that is the question.

Post by grathuln » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:49 pm

I'm reserving judgement on this one. I recall Tory saying to scilons shortly after leaving that scientology was a good religion, had lots of good things, or words to that effect, but that what they were doing was wrong. I gather Tory's views have matured since then. :D

The point is that perhaps not everyone realises the whole truth when they get out. Maybe Mary still believes in some of the ideology even if she doesn't subscribe to the organisations' methods any more.

She takes comments which are being moderated. She has to read the comments though to moderate them so subtle comments regarding the front groups may gradually get through to her (they all lead to getting poeple in to scientology who then end up like she was). Then again she still could be hard core and may have other OSA doing the blog with her as a front; the content isn't quite what I'd expect though - looking for love, dating and flirting mixed in with lobby related articles.

BTW. WWP is down again....

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:54 pm

Patty P., I agree with your assessment: I don't know the status of Mary either. It is hard to tell. As for our relationship: We don't like each other and everyone knows it.

Get over it.

It's not like we were going to go the prom.

Maybe I will come to your next SP Party and we can kiss and make up and bury the hatchets? This assumes you invite me. Anyway, peace out.

/////

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

Return to “Opinions & Debate”