GUILTY: OT7 Scientologist Rex Fowler murdered ex-employee

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

JohnS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JohnS » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:10 am

Sea Horse wrote:
JohnS wrote:Using the Biblical "four score and ten",
70 years as the average human lifespan;
Math correction: a "score" is 20 years.
Your right! That should read "Three score and ten"
My goof.

Sponge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sponge » Thu May 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Software Firm Founder Pleads Not Guilty In Slaying Of Ex-Partner
Rex Fowler, Minister In Church Of Scientology, Faces October Murder Trial
abc 7 News Denverchannel.com 20th May 2010
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23 ... etail.html

Sounds like he really wants that death penalty.

Trial: October 25th.

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Thu May 20, 2010 8:49 pm

<laughing> The guy really IS nuts! There's so much evidence against him (that's been published by law enforcement). I can't imagine how he could defend himself at this point.
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 pm

When detectives asked Fowler's wife to speak with them at the hospital she "quickly demanded the briefcase."

"One thing I need is his briefcase," Janet Fowler told detectives, according to the court record. "It was taken out of his office. It is important to me, my church, and it is religious material and I want it now!"

Detective Gene Claps explained to Janet Fowler that investigators needed to review the contents of the briefcase.

"Even if you looked at it and read it, you would not understand anything in it," the wife replied, the arrest affidavit stated. "Because it is way above a normal person and you would not know what it meant."

Source: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/22 ... etail.html
I wonder if the investigators ever engaged the services of an ex-scientologist who was once on OTVII to decipher the contents of the briefcase. Who knows, Rex might have been trying to run specific auditing commands to "handle" Ciancio in the theta-universe.
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Fri May 21, 2010 2:16 am

More from the other Denver TV stations.

The CBS affiliate doesn't reach the Scilon connection until the fifth paragraph.

Man Accused Of Killing Co-Worker Pleads Not Guilty

May 20, 2010 5:01 pm US/Mountain
THORNTON, Colo. (CBS4) ― A man, accused of shooting a former business partner, has pleaded not guilty in the case. Rex Fowler entered the plea in Adams County Court Thursday morning.

http://cbs4denver.com/news/rex.fowler.c ... 06657.html

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Fri May 21, 2010 2:18 am

First brief article from the NBC affiliate makes no mention of Co$ at all.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx? ... &catid=339

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:03 am

Interesting comment popped up today on WWP...

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media ... ost1329821
Anonymous wrote:Hello,

I have something that may be relevant to this case. I did some searches and didn't find this posted anywhere, so forgive me if I'm reposting something.

I went to Rex Fowler's preliminary hearing, which was open to the public. Three emails were mentioned. The oldest was sent to Fowler on December 29 from Laura Zaspel.
Hi Rex both Laura Ryan and I will be out of the office at appointments tomorrow morning. I would like to schedule Tom to come in at 9 a.m. or earlier. I know this is an emotional thing for all of us.

The second email, apparently described as being from Laura Zaspel. I haven't been able to find this email posted anywhere on the Internet:
Give this to the person who has been enturbulating us. I am asking you to do cycles.
The third email, from Fowler:
To Laura Zaspel. Please tell him 10 a.m. here at the office. I will handle it. Rex.
The trial is supposed to start on Oct 25th so that'll be November's WIN sorted out if it doesn't drag on too long.

Simonymous

Post by Simonymous » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:02 am

I'm curious how Rex is getting on, meaning I wonder how severe his self-inflicted shot to the face is, and whether he has healed. I wonder if it did any damage to his brain, is he "all there" and if so, I wonder if he is still a dyed-in-the-wool Scientologist. Likewise, has Scientology disavowed any connection to him, have they declared him.

The trial is going to be interesting! (Dammit, I did it again, typed "trail" instead of "trial." Well, the trail to the truth will be interesting, too.)
“...the injuries that {Hubbard} handled by the use of Dianetics procedures were never handled, because they were injuries that never existed; therefore, Dianetics is based on a lie; therefore, Scientology is based on a lie.” --Tommy Davis

Dorothy

Re: OT7/8 Scientologist Rex Fowler murders ex-employee?

Post by Dorothy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:02 pm

bumpage: trial soon (Oct 25)! :crazy:
“The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
― Hannah Arendt

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Dorothy wrote:bumpage: trial soon (Oct 25)! :crazy:
I'm afraid the trial is bumped to 11th February 2011. [edit: now bumped again to Feb 22nd]

I saw this on WWP but forgot to update this thread due to the board being down.
Radio Paul, posting on WWP, wrote:I called the Adams County Court in Co today and they stated his case is set for early Feb 2011. He has selected a Jury Trial and that is part of the reason for delay.
ref: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/7-chit-c ... ler-72473/

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Wanna get jury duty, Adams County critics? Register to vote. It might take years to get called up, or you might be called up in February.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:02 am

From Adams County court dockets, coming up this month...

01/21/2011 08:30:00 AM District Court Hearing FOWLER WILLIAM 2010CR233 DIV L
source: http://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Co ... unty_ID/55

(Trial date 11th February 2011)
[edit: now bumped again to Feb 22nd]

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:47 pm

BTW it is pretty standard to plead not-guilty in a murder trial when the evidence is stacked against you. In Rex's case, it only means his lawyer is doin' it right.
“The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
― Hannah Arendt

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:36 am

Update from Smurf who called the courthouse today. New trial date...

Fowler's trial is set to begin Tuesday, February 22, 2011 @ 9:00Am. Division L - Room 402 - Judge Wasserman presiding.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Judge: Scientology no issue in Fowler murder case
By Monte Whaley
The Denver Post 02/16/2011
http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_17402680
BRIGHTON — The upcoming first-degree murder trial of an Adams County business owner with links to the Church of Scientology will be about the facts of the case and not the defendant's religion, the presiding judge said today.

"Someone's religion has never been an issue in my courtroom and it won't be in this case," said Adams County District Judge Francis Wasserman.

Wasserman spoke in a pre-trial hearing for 58-year-old William Rex Fowler, accused of shooting his former business partner on Dec. 30, 2009.

Fowler — a high-ranking member of the church — is accused of shooting Thomas Ciancio, 42, three times in the head with a 9mm Glock handgun when Ciancio came to Fowler Software in unincorporated

Adams County to collect $9,900 in severance pay. Ciancio, who was Fowler Software's chief operating officer, resigned Nov. 23 in a dispute over the way the company, located near the intersection of West 84th Avenue and Eliati Street, was being run.

Ciancio was allegedly upset that Fowler had funneled as much as $250,000 from the company to the Church of Scientology.

Jury selection in Fowler's trial is scheduled to begin Tuesday.

Prosecutors asked Wasserman today if he was going to quiz prospective jurors about their knowledge of the Church of Scientology.

Wasserman said he would not, noting Fowler's conduct, which may have led to Ciancio's murder is the key issue of the case, not Scientology.

"Why he gave the money to the church is no concern," Wasserman said. "Whether he gave because he likes their buildings or whether he likes Tom Cruise, is not the issue."

Jury selection should take all day Tuesday, with testimony scheduled to start in the week-long trial on Wednesday morning.
Legal opinion from tikk
tikk,posting on whyweprotest.net, wrote: There's not much to disagree with here. The judge's comments arose in the context of the prosecution asking whether the judge was going to screen jurors for their opinions on Scientology. The judge said no and then made a generalized comment about the case not being about Scientology, which is correct. Speculating from that statement that no mention of Scientology will be permitted in the trial is going off the rails.

The charge here is Murder 1, not Embezzlement. There is no need for the DA to resort to exploring the reasons for the transactions that possibly lie at the heart of the motive, in order to gain a conviction. The fact that Ciancio believed embezzlement was taking place, his reaction to it, and Fowler's reaction to Ciancio is really all the DA needs to establish. Ciancio's belief that embezzlement had occurred is important, not the individual transactions comprising the embezzlement. I don't doubt that numerous mentions of Scientology will occur at trial, but there is no need to explain Fowler's motives as stemming from Scientology principles. Greed, hatred, revenge, fear of exposure, whatever it was that motivated Fowler, are owned by no one and everyone.

Return to “Media Reports”