One opened, more to come!
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Counterfeit Dreams Now Shipping
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:58 am 

Well, after a slight delay, the hardback edition of Counterfeit Dreams is in stock and shipping out now. It was promised in August and just squeaked in under the deadline.

If you’ve ordered a copy, you have probably received it. If you haven’t, it’s on its way to you now. And all pre-orders were autographed as promised.

There is something very satisfying about holding a hardback book in your hands. I printed a lot of books for the Church back in the day, but this is the first time I’ve produced one for myself, and I’ve gotta say, there is a lot of satisfaction in finally getting it out. I did the design and typesetting myself, designed the cover, and did the glossary and index.

I wrote the book both for those who have left the Church and for those still in. I tried to tell the story straight, as it happened, with all of the emotions and confusions of the moment. So there’s not a lot of moralizing or preaching. I dislike telling people what they should think, I’d rather just tell what happened and let people draw their own conclusions. And apparently that approach is effective – I’m told that the original blog was responsible for hundreds of people leaving the Church.

The book will no doubt have the same effect.

I hope you’ll read it, and use it to enlighten friends and family on what it’s like “behind the curtain” of the Church of Scientology. It’s time that curtain was drawn aside.

I’m sending copies to people I know who are still in the Church. I hope you’ll do the same.

You can order copies from the Counterfeit Dreams website, http://www.counterfeitdreams.com

or from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-Dreams-Journey-World-Scientology/dp/0615375642/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283479037&sr=1-1

As I mentioned before, the original Counterfeit Dreams blog is still up and will remain up, so anyone can read the original blog account there. The book is an expanded, book-length version of the same basic story.

Steven Hassan, author of Combatting Cult Mind Control and Releasing the Bonds was nice enough to read the book, and had this to say:

“Jeff Hawkins has written a compelling and emotional story that demonstrates how intelligent people can be drawn into and controlled by abusive, authoritarian groups. His new book, Counterfeit Dreams, is a must-read not only for those who have been directly involved with Scientology but also for their family and friends who want to understand it from a 36-year insider at the highest levels. Furthermore, I believe former members of other abusive, totalitarian groups would benefit from reading this valuable book.”

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:06 am 

Jeff, I was with you from the first day you started posting your story and I looked up every day to see when you posted the next chapter. The fact that you at some point dated my very good friend, Elin Petersen (later Sjoequist) made the story so much more compelling. Your story is one that will sit with me forever because it is so real and yet so heart-wrenching in it's final dilemmas - it's really Sheakspearian if you ask me. I will be ordering my book with the help of one of my kids who know how to do this. But anyway, thank you so much for telling you story. You're one of the most classy guys I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know (even from a distance). Your ex-wife was a sweetheart just like you said she was - and on CNN she tried so hard (unsuccessfully so) to be a DM bitch and it showed so clearly that she was troubled by the dilemmas she was in. I hope one day she'll be able to forgive herself for how she compromised (was made to compromise) her own reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:25 pm 

Hi, Jeff. It's good to see you posting here. How have you been?

Congratulations on your book! I once helped a friend with a book and that was a good feeling. It's no best seller by any means, but it was appreciated by its target audience. For it to be your own, plus the good it's done for its target audience... you must be feeling amazing -- a far cry from the feelings you were given by much of Scientology.

You're a good man, have helped many people, and will forever have my (and many, many others') respect.

“...the injuries that {Hubbard} handled by the use of Dianetics procedures were never handled, because they were injuries that never existed; therefore, Dianetics is based on a lie; therefore, Scientology is based on a lie.” --Tommy Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:51 am 

Jeff,

I've started buying almost everything for Kindle. I just sent a request through Amazon to get Counterfeit Dreams in the Kindle store. It's a great way to carry multiple books around at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:19 pm 

Jeff - I ordered your book yesterday through Amazon and should receive it in a few days. After I read it I won't keep it on the shelves, like I usually do. I have a circle of friends who belong to a book club. I know they will pass it along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:27 pm 

See also the media thread, bumped yesterday with a review by Tony Ortega of the Village Voice:
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=32531

Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Dreams Now Shipping
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:15 pm 

LOVED YOUR BOOK!

I think it will help many people, specially friends and family members of ex-scientologists to understand and support their loved ones. Great peace of work.

Thanks for writing it, Sekh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 am 

I have been checking worldcat.org regularly for Counterfeit Dreams so I can add it to the relevant book lists I have generated in that web site. The book has not yet appeared in the worldcat.org database. As far as I can deduce, in order for a book to be listed with worldcat.org it has to be owned by a library that participates with worldcat.org and that lists that book in their library catalog.

I think going the route of a certain organization and donating copies to libraries is counter productive but could you, Jeff, if you haven't already done so, send some promotional materials to a few libraries offering to sell them your book? The recent interest generated by The New Yorker article might make library staff more receptive right now.

http://www.worldcat.org./profiles/Wieber/lists/563909

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:54 pm 

Counterfeit Dreams is now listed with WorldCat.org and I have added it to two of the appropriate book lists I have there.

http://www.worldcat.org./profiles/Wieber/lists/563909

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:16 am 

Wieber wrote:
I have been checking worldcat.org regularly for Counterfeit Dreams so I can add it to the relevant book lists I have generated in that web site. The book has not yet appeared in the worldcat.org database. As far as I can deduce, in order for a book to be listed with worldcat.org it has to be owned by a library that participates with worldcat.org and that lists that book in their library catalog.

I think going the route of a certain organization and donating copies to libraries is counter productive but could you, Jeff, if you haven't already done so, send some promotional materials to a few libraries offering to sell them your book? The recent interest generated by The New Yorker article might make library staff more receptive right now.

Also, some of us could request the book at our libraries as one they should buy! :) I know that's one way the do it at my library.