One opened, more to come!
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:56 am 

Don this going with the idea that OT powers are based on Superman?

I wonder how that would play out in poster form.
Something like "The True Source" and then a picture of Superman in some pose.

Atheist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:18 pm 

Superman powers are X-ray vision, super-strength, flying, and steel body impervious to bullets. These aren't OT abilities, which CoS verbally promises, or boasts of in "wins" proclaimed in magazines. CoS then blames YOU when you don't attain them. CoS's verbally claimed OT abilities or services include
1. telepathy (mind-reading),
2. exteriorization (your "soul" floating behind or above your body),
3. remote viewing (seeing objects or people from many miles away)
4. precognition (a feeling that something specific is about to happen)
5. having affluence flow toward you/prosperity (being lucky)
6. having affluence flow toward you/euphoria (being "high" after auditing)
7. healing illness (with touch assists and auditing)
8. magic elixirs or snake oil - (high doses of niacin)
9. removing engrams and body thetans (casting out demons)
10. telekinesis (making ashtrays levitate)
11. and death stare (killing people with your eyeballs)

OT ability and How CoS convinces people that they happen.
1. telepathy - many people can guess what someone is thinking.
2. exteriorization - science has shown you can get floating sensations that "feel real" but arent'
3. remote viewing - lucky guesses happen.
4. precognition - lucky guesses happen
5. having affluence flow toward you/prosperity - people get lucky
6. having affluence flow toward you/euphoria - the hypnotic ritual of auditing, and eagerness to please the auditor, produces euphoria when the student finally gets the floating needle
7. healing illness - happens all the time with or without prayer or touch. Healing touch in many religions can give emotional support and help pain and some illnesses. The placebo effect of a new pill or a new therapy also helps some outcomes. (The danger is when CoS presses people to audit away their cancer, to no avail.)
8. magic elixirs - CoS forces high doses of niacin during the Purification Rundown which makes the body flush and reveal old broken blood vessels damaged by sunburn.
9. removing engrams and body thetans - a subjective feeling produced in auditing that can't be proven.
10. telekinesis - rarely claimed since against the laws of physics
11. death stare - witch doctor curses and CoS curses that "you'll kill yourself if you leave Scientology" can have an effect if you believe these things.

Many things "help" keep people believing
A. To justify their faith, people reinterpret coincidences (like the traffic light changing as "proof" that they made it change with their mind).
B. People justify their faith by remembering and proclaiming the "wins" and forgetting the "losses" that naturally occur in life.
C. People are naive about probability and think a lucky event like a stock pick going up was "caused" by their participation in Scientology, when stocks go up and down for all kinds of reasons.
D. People confuse cause and effect, thinking that because rich people got richer in Scientology, it was the auditing, when the person was just able to buy more auditing with the extra money, and coincidentally made money off their investments.
E. Scientology teaches people to blaim themselves for "overts" and misunderstood words" if they don't attain the OT abilities.
F. Random misfortune like being hit by a drunk driver, in CoS dogma is interpreted as the person's own fault - they "pulled it in."

The above "abilities" were the main aim of New Age religions (with the exception of the death stare, since black magic was frowned on). I read countless articles in the 1970's about all of the above in various New Age books published before and around the time of Hubbard's main writing. Except for telekinesis, OT abilities are a "soft" kind of magic impossible to prove or disprove, and involving chance, the power of suggestion, and internal sensations like the feeling of floating. Thus they are similar to a witch doctor's.

Nobody is verbally told by their CoS salesman/registrar about this whole list of eleven OT abilities. But all of the above abilities have been claimed in testimonials in magazines, and many have been claimed in Hubbard books. Thus a person just starting, who reads the CoS magazines will "get" the message that these other people attained remote viewing, psychokinesis, and other abilities. Since CoS is publishing these "wins" they are endorsing them as fact.

So, yes, the WORD Super has some strong selling powers. But the myth of Superman doesn't translate into OT abilities.

Last edited by Don Carlo on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:56 pm 

Sorry I will have to look at it again. I though Swift had compared Superman to some aspect of Scientology, it might of been clear.

Don you alway do good work I will have to read your update on Bernies sight when I get some time.

Atheist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:11 am 

I have spent the last few months listening to all of Asimov's foundation series and are listening to some of his other works.
I came across one of his short stories that was put in print may of 65
It was called 'Eyes do more than see'.
I was about trillion year old energy beings that would interact as enery but one day one of them desided to recreate a memory of what they where. He creates a head that upsets one of the other beings because it did not want to remember.
I know it is tenious but it made me think of LRH creation story and the being creating the Universe.

Atheist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:58 pm 

Stormbringer, I cross-posted Don Carlo's list shown above to my L. Ron Hubbard and the Theft of Superman thread so that people can compare and contrast.

In strict terms, Don Carlo is correct. Superman and OT are different states. In Hubbard's world, Homo Novis is a greater state than Superman. Here are two related threads on Homo Novis:

1. Scientology's Übermensch: Homo Novis. An excellent, well-researched thread by Caroline.

2. An Update on Scientology's War of Racial Superiority. This is a thread I started in 11 Dec 2005 that was not well received by Scientologists.

These two threads are examples of the vast work that has been done to expose Hubbard's Master Race work known as Scientology. Virtually all major policies Hubbard wrote present profound moral challenges to anyone who practices Scientology.

/////

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:50 pm 

I added "super-strength" to Superman's abilities. He can lift busses, crush coal into diamonds, etc. Nobody in CoS claims this ability, to my knowledge, and none of them are winning weight-lifting medals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:51 pm 

Did LRH make a claim about the OTs being more able to do any sport then even a olympian?
I know early on Supermans strenght was more limited.
The first issue shows him lifting a car, which is rather impressive.

I wonder how much LRH would reliy on association to imply an improvement.
For example almost anyone trying to imply a superhero in any situation they put a symbol on the chest of the costume. With that you imply many of the qualities of superman to the individual without stating such.

One thing that springs to mind is LRH say that Jesus and Budda were just beyond clear.

Atheist

Post subject: Re: Xemnu of the Magic Planet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 pm 

Xenu apparently IS connected to Stan Lee. Stan Lee, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby created Zemu/Xemu (what I'll call Stan Lee's Xemu) in Strange Tales I#103, December 1962. This third person is the Jack Kirby who created Xemnu (what I'll call Jack Kirby's Xemnu), see below, an apparently different villain.
* * OT3 compared to Stan Lee's Xemu * *
OT3: Name Xenu or Xemu | Stan Lee: Zemu, changed to Xemu in Fantastic 4 I: #158
OT3: From alien planet | Stan Lee: from alien planet
OT3: The head of the Galactic Confederation | Stan Lee: Warlord, former ruler of the Fifth Dimension
OT3: Came to earth | Stan Lee: came to earth
OT3: Imprisoned | Stan Lee: imprisoned
Otherwise plots are quite different.
Detailed Stan Lee plot summaries at http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/xemu.htm

OT3 compared to Jack Kirby's Xemnu (actually created by unknown author, Jack Kirby and Dick Ayres) in Nov 1960, reprinted in 1967 (right before OT3 was written by LRH)
OT3: name Xemu or Xenu | Kirby: Xemnu
OT3: from alien planet| Kirby: from alien planet
OT3: Xenu implants memories into body thetans | Kirby: Xemnu has powers of telepathy, telekinesis, hypnosis, possession
LRH writings, not OT3: prison planet | Kirby: prison planet
Otherwise plots are quite different

Detailed Kirby plot summaries at http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/xemnuthetitan.htm

The above two marvel-fan sites link to each other and insist that Xemu and Xemnu are different villains. Marvel's official site has no summary of Xemu, but does have a brief summary of Xemnu at http://marvel.com/universe/Xemnu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 am 

I read earlier portions of this thread. It seems to me that Hubbard took bits and pieces from good sci-fi novels, combined them together and produced a shitty OT story. A a writer, he was truly horrific. I am still recovering after reading Volume I of Mission Earth Series I read this book long after I had left the cult, I just wanted to know if Hubbard was a good writer. Looks like he was a complete disappointment in everything he did.

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:42 am 

Demented LRH wrote:
Looks like he was a complete disappointment in everything he did.

Excluding of course one of the most efficient and effective systems of psycho politics created in modern times.
Not too shabby, for "a retard"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:18 pm 

Our retard copied his systems of psycho politics from Stalin.
If you read Volume I of Mission Earth Series you will get a good understanding of how Soviet Secret Service (KGB) works.

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:05 pm 

Tony Ortega pointed on this week* that Scientologists are prepared to accept the Xenu space opera story since they spent so much time and money "remembering" their own space opera "previous lives." How ironic that the Xenu story is not even original, or of noble origins - it came mostly from comic books. It's as if the Mormon mythology with the planet Kolob had come from a 19th century penny dreadful**

*Why Do Scientologists Accept the Xenu Story? by Tony Ortega,, Village Voice, Jul. 21 2012
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... _track.php

** An old-timey lurid illustrated magazine that sold for a penny, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_dreadful

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:04 am 

As journalists interview Hubbard followers from the mid and late 1960's, I hope they ask if Hubbard read comic books and/or newspapers, and listened to the BBC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:39 am 

Robert Eckert commented* on Xemu the Merciless today on The Underground Bunker, reminding me of this thread.

* http://tonyortega.org/2013/11/13/lisa-m ... more-11554

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18