Media reports mentioning Operation Clambake

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Don Carlo

Re: Media reports mentioning Operation Clambake

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Yay Andreas! He provided a safe rewarding place to post, when I was too much of a newbie to master alt.religion.scientology with its spam, trolls, unknown dangers, and, yes, heros. He has kept our secret-identities safe for over a decade.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:22 am

Fark.com linked to xenu.net's photos of the Superpower Building. The headline: Photoshop the ultra-secret insides of Scientology's Super Power building, parts of which look like the set of a science fiction film
Article Sept. 27, 2011 at http://www.fark.com/ Superpower photos at http://www.xenu.net/archive/spb/

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:56 am

Norway:
Andreas and Operation Clambake appears in Dagbladet article on 29th Oct 2011
Andreas appears on NRK2 "Aktuelt" TV 3rd Nov 2011
and does an article for Dagbladet 8th Nov 2011.
All the details in the media thread here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41539

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Another mention in relation to the above story, in the Village Voice this time. 10th November 2011.
Details in this media post here: viewtopic.php?p=414169#p414169

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:57 pm

In an Guardian article (also republished in the LA Times) about the French Senate vote on a bill that seeks to criminalise denial of the Armenian genocide of 1915, in which a broader free expression issue is addressed, the cult of scientology's copyright thuggery is mentioned, along with a nod to Operation Clambake .....

The Guardian 18th Jan 2012
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... l-brickbat
LA Times link: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la- ... 9238.story
Also republished in The Telegraph, Calcutta, India (Jan 22nd): http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120122/j ... 037614.jsp
[...]

So this is but the latest instance of a much wider challenge. What should be the limits of free expression in the internet age? What should be the free speech norms of an interconnected world? And who should set them? These are among the questions being addressed in a project called Free Speech Debate (freespeechdebate.com) that we have just launched at Oxford University. Among the 10 draft principles we offer for debate, criticism and revision, one is especially relevant to the Armenian genocide controversy. It says: "We allow no taboos in the discussion and dissemination of knowledge."

The Church of Scientology uses its copyright in the immortal words of L Ron Hubbard to prevent people seeing the higher secrets of the Operating Thetan. (Tip: if you're interested, search for Operation Clambake.) Today, the English-language Wikipedia was blacked out for 24 hours to protest against the proposed US Stop Online Piracy Act, which, in the current version, will have a disastrous, chilling effect on the free, online dissemination of knowledge.

[...]

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Scientology Protester on Allegedly Being Followed: 'It Was Actually Pretty Mind-Boggling'
by Josh Dulaney , OC Weekly, Wed., Mar. 7 2012
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2 ... _beach.php
Laguna Beach resident Susan Elliott said she's among those whose efforts to combat alleged abuses in the Church of Scientology have been met with spy tactics and harassment at her doorstep.
"I've been followed a million times," said Elliott, 56, who is a computer programmer by trade but was wary to state where her business is located, out of fear that Scientologists would conduct operations there.

Elliott confirmed that she was spied on by Paulien Lombard, a former Scientologist featured in a recent OC Weekly cover story. In fact, she first confirmed the spying in a comment posted on in the online version of the story, where readers may recall how Lombard described sitting outside of Elliott's home for hours.

Lombard later apologized to Elliott.

"We invited her in and had tea, and sat in the living room and talked for an hour or so, and I was just amazed that she would do that -- that she would come to us," Elliott said.

Elliott said she has no ties to Scientology, but began research the church when Tom Cruise began to speak out publicly about the group.

"I've always been interested in these high-control groups and how it happens to people," she said.

Elliott eventually met some folks online through the Operation Clambake online message board, which is dedicated to discussing all things Scientology. She became sympathetic toward those whose families she said have been ripped apart by the church.

[...continues in article link...]

bparker230

Post by bparker230 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:48 pm

Don Carlo wrote:Yay Andreas! He provided a safe rewarding place to post, when I was too much of a newbie to master alt.religion.scientology with its spam, trolls, unknown dangers, and, yes, heros. He has kept our secret-identities safe for over a decade.
Yes he has, and I respect him so much for it. He asked to use a post I had made on ARS back in 1998. It's still here. Go to the main page and look under Introduction, then click on "What is $cientology", and you'll find it. I had some concern about it at the time, but my risk was small. Andreas has endured being a target of the CO$ for 16 years now, and he and OC are still standing despite everything.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Jonny Jacobsen: A Q&A with Europe's Premier Scientology Blogger
by Tony Ortega, Village Voice. 20th March 2012
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... logger.php
[...]

The Debbie Cook affair has become a real debacle for the Miscavige regime. I think it is a perfect illustration too of the way the Independent movement has learned how to out-manoeuvre corporate Scientology. The whole episode reminds me of that section at Andreas Heldal-Lund's Operation Clambake called Operation Foot-Bullet, which lists the various occasions on which the movement has managed to shoot itself in the foot.

First, they alienated one of their most dedicated members, then when she spoke out they tried to harass and silence her by dragging her into court - which achieved the exact opposite. They gave her a platform to detail the abuses she had suffered and witnessed, testimony so compelling it was even picked up by the normally timid British press.

[...]
OCMB source media thread: viewtopic.php?p=443383#p443383

Albion

Post by Albion » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Tony phoned me at around 11:30 pm last night because I'd
missed his emails requesting the piece, so I got cracking right
away. I finished, looked up and it was 4:00 am.

I was too tired to go through the article adding links, but I
made sure the only one I did put in was for Operation Clambake.
In other words, hats off to the guv'nor.

Jonny Jacobsen
Infinite Complacency

chantal

Post by chantal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:24 am

There's a 2 hour A&E program up on youtube from 1998 called A&E Inside Scientology where Operation Clambake's page was shown and mentioned as an anti-scientology website. Sorry, I'm on a PS3 and I'm unable to put the link up. But it's up there, I just finished watching it (in 12 parts). Mike Rinder did most of the talking along with Travolta and Hayes. Even Miscavige gave them a small interview.
I've been torn apart
Put back together
With a couple of pieces in wrong
I'm holding up now
Oh, but I won't be for long

bparker230

Post by bparker230 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:45 pm

chantal wrote:There's a 2 hour A&E program up on youtube from 1998 called A&E Inside Scientology where Operation Clambake's page was shown and mentioned as an anti-scientology website. Sorry, I'm on a PS3 and I'm unable to put the link up. But it's up there, I just finished watching it (in 12 parts). Mike Rinder did most of the talking along with Travolta and Hayes. Even Miscavige gave them a small interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IyIiq2ugM4

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:02 pm

New York Daily News wrote:Andreas Heldal-Lund runs the anti-Scientology website Operation Clambake and says the religion is losing people.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/upt ... z2etnPkx1G

Check out the awesome pic of Andreas!

Huff Post Religion wrote:That education comes at a price, as planned self-help classes will cost $50 each. Andrewas Heldal-Lund of anti-Scientology website Operation Clambake, said to the newspaper that "Scientology is losing people. They are focusing on recruitment. They are trying new avenues to find people who will pay for their truths."
Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 37496.html

Includes link to Clambake!
“The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
― Hannah Arendt

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:23 am

Several of our (and other blogs') frequent commenters have migrated to Tony's blog, so we're not as active as we used to be, but we're steadily researching and posting. I'm so happy that every day Tony's Underground brings news to the critic community. Ten years ago we used to wait six months between real news stories, amidst trolling and many complaints of "why isn't anything being DONE?" I link to Tony's stories every day partly so newbies learn quickly about his site, too.

anondelmundial

Post by anondelmundial » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 am

Don Carlo, you and Andreas are doing a great service to the critic community. Yes, Scientology criticism has become vastly diffused. In the early days, the only sources were OC and alt.religion.scientology on UseNet. The diffusion of Scientology criticism is a reflection of what OC and alt.religion.scientology started and accomplished when practically no one was listening.

It's like a drop of colored water into a glass of clear water. Eventually, the entire glass of water is colored. That where Scientology criticism is now: anyone who reads knows about the evils of the Cult. It has gotten so bad for Little Davie that no matter how many lawyers he employs, the stink of Scientology has preceded him.

Return to “Media Reports”