One opened, more to come!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Will Indiana schools get to teach about Xenu?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 pm 

Major religions: Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism
Smaller religions: Judaism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shamanism (various groups).
Even smaller religions: Druz, Sun Worshipers
Tiny cults: Unification Church, Scientology + other New Age groups.

I do not think they will be teaching Scientology in schools any time soon.

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 pm 

Rachel Maddow asked "What is the Scientology creation story" as a teaser, not a dumb question. She knows how to use the Google on topics on her show. This way, she avoids CoS screaming bigot! and religious secrets! Now her viewers will look it up themselves, and their jaws will drop. The first hit when I Googled was the Wikipedia entry for "Xenu" with lots of delightful links. Other top links are also good critic sites.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:27 am 

Off topic. A good place to argue evolution is http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ , not here. P.Z. Myers is covering the Indiana schools topic at http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... gislature/

Last edited by Sponge on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Media mod Note: Agreed. I've dustbinned the previous evolutionary theory argumentative posts. We don't want to start derailing in to all that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 pm 

I see this as another example of this country swinging more to the right.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:13 am 

In WIS, there is a list of "The Factors" by LRH. #1 "Before the beginning was a Cause and the entire purpose of the Cause was the creation of effect."

"Incident I" would be the $cientology creation story, of sorts.
Incident II was "the wall of fire" or OTIII, "Xenu Story", and I don't believe $cientology regards it as a "creation story". The Xenu story is more like a destruction story.

Just look at the timeline. Incident I was quadrillions of years ago, and the Xenu story happened much later, a mere 75 million years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:31 am 

I can hear it now. At the next scientology event- March 13th- here's what David Miscavige will announce:

"And now, for an unprecedented win for Scientologists in the United States and, moreover, all over the world. As you well know, we Scientologists don't get involved in politics. We operate above the political fray. All we have to do is decide what we want, and the physical universe bends to our will. And that is exactly what a few OT staff and public did in Indiana. They set out to make a difference in their community, not just safe-pointing Scientology, but making it go right to make the teaching of Scientology mandatory in all public schools! (10 minutes of standing ovation and hip hip hoorays) Yes that's right, not only will all Indianna school children be learning reading, writing and arithmetic, they'll be learning about thetans, postulates and mock-ups! This group of OTs didn't even have to write this incredible pro-survival legislation, it practically wrote itself! Let the great state of Indiana be an example to the rest of the world and especially the other 50 states as Scientologists everywhere make similar postulates, and we get similar legislation passed in all 51 states! (10 minutes of hip hip hooray)."

(Staff calling in for this event will be instructed to tell everyone a win even bigger than the IRS win is going to be announced, so they must be there)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:58 am 

Dorothy wrote:
"(Staff calling in for this event will be instructed to tell everyone a win even bigger than the IRS win is going to be announced, so they must be there)"

Yeah, right before they are required to sign a "gag" contract not to give any details before the event (been there, done that).
I live in Texas, not Indiana. And I'm not a protester. But if I hear of Indiana school children being taught "Incident I", I'm going to have to make some picket signs and go on a road trip. That would be just too ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:09 am 

Incident 1b....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:37 am 

Sponge wrote:
Incident 1b....

Looks like our pre-homosapien ancestor is going to attack the e-meter with a bone? Maybe these hominids were more "advanced" than modern-day culties :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 pm 

I believe that this is going to backfire.

Scientology isn't going to let schools teach about Xenu... Instead, they'll force them to teach some bullshit about immortal spiritual beings.

This will give the cult even more credibility, with no guarantee that it'll do any real damage to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 pm 

The cult can talk all theyh want about eternal spiritual beings, but without talk of xenu, there are holes in their stories...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:20 am 

Indiana’s Creationism Bill a No-Go?
Support for legislation that would allow creationism and other religious views to be taught alongside evolution in science classrooms wanes in the state’s House of Representatives
By Cristina Luiggi | The Scientist Magazine | February 6, 2012
http://the-scientist.com/2012/02/06/ind ... l-a-no-go/
Quote:
The controversial bill that proposes teaching creationism and other religious origin-of-life views in addition to evolution in Indiana public schools may not make it past the state’s House of Representatives.

According to The Times of Northwest Indiana, the Republican House Speaker Brian Bosma said at a press event last Wednesday that he has not yet made a decision on whether the bill will get a hearing, adding that the state legislature “should not mandate what’s taught in science classrooms.”

“Delving into an issue that the United States Supreme Court has, on at least on one occasion, said is not compliant with the Constitution may be a side issue and someplace we don’t need to go,” Bosma said, referring to a similar Louisiana law that was ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court in 1987.

The Indiana Senate approved Senate Bill 89, which would allow schools to teach “various theories concerning the origin of life,” including those of Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and Scientology, last Tuesday (January 31). For the bill to become law, it would have to be approved by a House committee as well as the full House by March 5. (Hat tip to ScienceInsider)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:23 am 

Thanks, Scientology, for saving Indiana science teachers from teaching religion !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 am 

Judith Anderson wrote:
I see this as another example of this country swinging more to the right.

I don't know about more to the right, but definitely more towards batshit craziness. Scientific therories and religious beliefs are 2 different animals and should not be taught together in the classroom, IMO. Scientific theories lend themselves to be challenged or debunked, but religious beliefs do not. Scientific theories do not present themselves as devine truth, while religious beliefs do.

Some people want to use science to validate their religion, or to use their religion to invalidate science. That's fine, but do that outside of the classroom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 pm 

Bill to teach creationism in schools being shelved
AP/Post Tribune February 14, 2012
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/10642 ... elved.html
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The leader of the Indiana House is shelving a bill that would have specifically allowed public schools to teach creationism alongside evolution in science classes.

Republican House Speaker Brian Bosma is using a procedural move to kill the proposal for this legislative session. The bill approved by the state Senate would have permitted local school districts to teach creationism as long as it included origin of life theories from multiple religions including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Scientology.

Bosma said Tuesday that he considered the proposal a lawsuit waiting to happen because the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled before against public schools teaching creationism.

Scientology worked! LOL